The mkiv Supra Owners Club

work notice period question

mikeyb10supra

My current notice period at work is 2 months but every job/recruitment consultant I have seen are telling me that nearly 99% of clients are not going to be prepared to wait that long for me...so my question is, if I secure a new job and hand my notice in and then try to argue with my current employee that I need to get away in a month, would it be risky to leave whilst still under contract if they said no? Just got a feeling they are going to be funny about it!! I always think if they say no then they are also denying me a chance to leave?

Thoughts please

Mike

I would secure a job, tell them I'm leaving and can only give them a months notice, they might go for it. If they object then they can't physically stop you from going, and they can't withold any pay owed to you either. They could take you to court but ask yourself what the chances are?

What are they like? Good or bad generally?

According to EU regulations you can only be lebgally held to one days notice - so 1 month should not be argued with

Im contracted to 2 months so dont think it will apply, only yhing I can do is argue my case and hope for the best

Can you not just tell them you are leaving to work for a competitor? I did that with my last job and got a months gardening leave. Was asked to leave the building that day!!

I would secure a job, tell them I'm leaving and can only give them a months notice, they might go for it. If they object then they can't physically stop you from going, and they can't withold any pay owed to you either. They could take you to court but ask yourself what the chances are?

What are they like? Good or bad generally?

Only problem I can see with these two is the reference side of things, feel fairly sure I can kiss them goodbye :(

Only problem I can see with these two is the reference side of things, feel fairly sure I can kiss them goodbye :(

If you already have the reference for the new job it shouldn't matter. However, most employers are normally pretty cool about people leaving. Unless you work in a really small place there are normally a good few people (with high enough rank) to give you a reference unless you've been behaving badly...................

Conversely some places are worse than others. In my last job one of the managers really didn't like me because I wasn't afraid to point out his inadequacies - he's still trying to take me to the small claims court because I owe them a days holiday (he seemed to forget that I didn't have a single day off sick in over 5 years - t0sser). I left the job almost a year ago - unfortunately for him he doesn't know where I live or work :sly:

I still can get references from people that work there - just not from Mr. Inadequate.

You're obviously not 100% happy there as you are looking around so look at it another way, if you honour the 2 month notice then the odds are you will work there forever more.

Bite the bullet and give them a month, unlikely they'll take any action, if they do then it's worth it as you'd at least have made a fresh start :)

I wouldn't test the water first either, just sort something out and give them a month, if they say you need to give more then tell them you'd assumed it was a month and you're already comitted.

Paul

Your notice period is zero.

Legally they can do nothing if you just walk.

It the same way round for them. If the company you are contracted to ran out of work do you think they'd keep you on and pay you while doing nothing just because you've got a bit of paper that says they have to.

Find a new job, give them a weeks notice out of courtesy and thats that.

I worked at a bank, they started making people redundant. I got another job lined up and although I had only been there 6 months they asked me to work 3 months notice!! :blink:

I got away after a month as I emphasised that the next company were desperate for me to start :innocent: They were fine with it and so I only did a month.

Tbh, once you know your going your heart isnt in it and you start slacking off, not bothering and basically dont give a foook, so trying to do 2 months is in no ones interest. Hope you get it sorted anyway, all the best mate ;)

references mean f-ukall these days - multinationals and even smaller companies no longer give detailed references such as how good/shit you are unless obviously you're applying for mi5... i would try and avoid bridge burning but if it cant be helped- look after number 1!!!!

i currently have a 3 month notice period (i'm that good - yeah right) but the last one was two months. Just had a word, said they are keen to get me in, can i work 1 month and they were fine. They know you are likely to be less productive if they hold you so they'll only do it to be a pain.

m.