The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Space Shuttle has problems again. :(

Pete

Since the one that burned up on entry, they've added to the shuttle's equipment.

They've added a robotic arm with camera to check the whole thing, and they've added patches to fix small tears.

The patches were used twice last year...and there were no issues. So I'm expecting the same again.

think I would prefer to be up in space in a busted shuttle, rather than in Slough!!!

*snigger*

Loosing heat shield tiles is no biggy, they are replaceable and it is standard procedure now, hence the reason why one of the first things they do when they get near ISS is to do a full rotational spin so hi res cameras can have a full look round the craft...

For something that was built in the 70's with all the technology from that time, the fact that it is still flying isn't bad for something with high mileage (15 million odd miles I seem to remember)

I have this image of an astronaut digging around in a tool kit and pulling out a little tin with 'Space Shuttle Puncture Repair Kit' written on it and containing a stick of chalk, a tube of glue and some patches of varying sizes and shapes!

:D

You're not far from the truth!!

It it's just a big elastoplast!

If you get bored, go over to the NASA website and look at some of the high res images of the underneath of shuttle...

It is one of the ugliest looking planes going, it has been battered senseless over the years and is generally nasty.... but it is still such an awesome machine.

My favourite part by far is the initial start up when the engines align up... Here you have got SHEDLOADS of thrust and the engines just wiggle as they check their actuators... bear in mind these things aren't exactly cake tin size...

• 3 weeks later...