The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Clutch recommendations please !

Muffleman

Hi all,

Thinking about changing from the HKS Triple, so would love to hear experiences of uprated clutches :)

Must be good for 550bhp plus and last a sensible period. I had the plates in mine replaced a few months ago, eight runs at the pod and a few miles either side and it's apparently not got much meat left ! So clearly doesnt last long. I like the HKS when the car is on the move and going up and down the gears, but pulling away is an arse ! I forget how many cheers I've had from the turbofit mechanics whilst moving mine around :D

Not a fan of the RPS cc myself, i had sams car for a couple weeks and it has a very heavy peddle feel and quite snatchy, i have the exeddy twin in mine and thats a nice drive (and can take plenty abuse) but the best ive felt is Jontys OSG tripple, loverly clutch that.

Thanks Chris, can't see me going near a drag track for a while, didn't really 'do it' for me. But want a clutch that will take trackdays and behave on the road too.

OK, OS Giken twin plate is excellent, but no dual mass flywheel (it has its own flywheel in the package). Repair parts are available (try getting those for an HKS one), and they are quite light and pretty much judder free. Wez has one, if you want an independent opinion. I have just put a triple plate Giken in a T51 Kai turbo MKIV, so there should be an opinion on that shortly, too.

My clutch would work, but be near its sensible limit.

OK, OS Giken twin plate is excellent, but no dual mass flywheel (it has its own flywheel in the package). Repair parts are available (try getting those for an HKS one), and they are quite light and pretty much judder free. Wez has one, if you want an independent opinion. I have just put a triple plate Giken in a T51 Kai turbo MKIV, so there should be an opinion on that shortly, too.

Cool, look forward to the triple on the T51. Incidentally, what did you make of the T51 turbo Chris ?

I have the OS Giken twin plate and love it. Only done around 800 miles so far and will never drag it, whats the expected lifespan? (around 500 rwhp)

If and when it does expire, what do you charge for a refurb?

With all ceramettalic clutches lifespan is entirely down to how you drive and how its set up and adjusted during its lifetime. If it's worn out due to wear and tear, or serious failure, a new complete clutch is the best way forward, but at least spares are available, usually off the shelf, should you damage something. Set up and adjustements during its lifetime are the secret, and not slipping the thing excessively.

I've got a Southbend DXD and stock flywheel in mine and it seems to be holding up fine so far (1k miles, daily driving or hard motorway pulls only)

If feels exactly like stock around town with and has only a slightly heavier pedal feel.

Not sure if it will hold out on the drag strip, will find out in a few weeks!

Could yours hold say 550lbf.ft if you stiffened it up at all Chris? It's not exactly stiff at the moment (in either of our two cars anyway) and I'm sure most owners could live with another 20% stiffness on the pedal if they got the required clamping force for a small/mid single...

OK just wondered.

Is there any way to stack two diaphragm springs and have one machined thinner and therfore lighter (possibly a little tricky) or better still source a much lighter one to double up with a stocker. I've seen it done before on other motors...so just throwing the ideaa out there..

Double diagphram springs can cause interleaf stiction and give snatchy, unpredicatble clutch release and premature wear, I have avoided that sort of thing as I have experience of problems with them :) With such good twin plates from the likes of Giken I doubt I'll do anything else, clutch wise, unless someone wants bespoke race stuff, which is right up my street ;)

I'm very happy with the following setup:

RPS Cyn-R-G Segmented Lightened Flywheel

RPS Sport Clutch with Sprung Hub

It's a paddle clutch but very freindly i.e. you get used to it and feels like a normal clutch after a while. It doesn't lunge (Spelling?!) forward when moving from stationary position. The lightened flywheel doesn't chatter 50% of the time (I'm on stock idle/normal idle)

It is a strong clutch IMO.

But mines a BPU TT.

OSG Triple plate here noisey at low rpm but fantastic clutch i love it,had horsepower freeks clutch with a southbend pressure plate in the black one and i hated it very snachy.

I had a drive of a supra with a carbon/carbon last week and have to agree with Jamie very high bite point and very heavy did not like it