The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Has driving another car totally spoilt the Supra for you?

RedM

I used to have a Challenger, it was an absolute dog of a thing, wouldn't stop, wouldn't corner, things fell off, or were about to fall off. Nice shape, like a Ventora on steroids. It brought a new realisation to me, as to what "drinking petrol" really could mean! Only thing worse was a Chrysler New Yorker, which was just ridiculous, with sub 10 MPG if you used any of its prodigous grunt. The Challenger was fast in a straight line, (well, with 426 cubic inches with a lot of compression it should have been..), but show it a stop light or bends and it threw the towel in. I am told they are valuable now, if you have one that still has a floor and wheel arches left in it :)

I also had a Covette, a 1970, which came with an LT1 small block, but I later put a 427 bg block in it. That was another death trap, sadly, in its case, a true one, as a subsequent owner managed to kill herself in it, which came as no huge surprise given its suspension and iffy brakes, and steering that became Herculean and with 6 inches of free play, if it threw a PAS pump belt, as it was won't to do. I gave up on yank tanks after thatm although Jane has a Cherokee Jeep, that is pretty good off road, and has proven failrly reliable.

Chrysler are very bold at the moment. Lots of car for little cash, and as far as styling goes they seem fearless. I have a 3.5 V6 race engine in for rebuild at the moment, it's based on the one from something called a Predator, I think, a quite wild looking beast that was apparently sold in the UK, but never caught on. It's a nice all alloy thing, that gives a modest 380 BHP, but can do it all day long with little attention.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I bought another MKIV it would have to be an auto, the getrag is an awful box, slow and heavy, although it seems quite relaible. Even though a lot of my driving is out here in the sticks I still spend a LOT of time in heavy traffic and motorway queues, and a manual is just a PITA then. Modern auto `boxes are just so good, too :)

Strangely mine is my recent purchase of an old MX5. Though the Supra is a hell of a lot faster, the steering feel, handling and fun of the MX5 does make my Supra feel a little dull and detached.

Great little sports cars, sadly getting obese with each model update. Jane had one and loved it, would like to persuade her to get another, but she needs something bigger these days. What a success story the MX5 has been!

I'm sorry but it seems to me that the guys that would contemplate owning another car for reasons of performance in this argument are ones that (in particular thread starter) dont use the supra to its full advantage...how can you feel what a supra is like in an auto form?

I've never understood how anycar can be labelled in performance in the auto form!

I don't want to spark a war here, but an auto BPU Supra in Manual Mode is one of a heck of a car. Don't write it off before you've really had some experience driving it.

The only other super car I've been out in was a Porsche 911 Turbo back in the early 90's. Small, cramped, smelly, but I must admit, very fast. No comparison to what I have now.

I've been looking longingly at MK1 MX-5's, I want something cheap, lightweight and basic, that I can prep as a track car and do all the work on myself.

Much as I'd love to do more track days in the Supra, the costs start to add up and I suspect I'd get more enjoyment out of the little MX-5 knowing it wouldn't cost me much to fix.

Yes maybe...but in comparison to a BPU manual? Everyone is different but unless you want a the sup to be solely fast on a drag strip, of which the auto is probably better at, then I cant see the point.

Even if someone has a well setup single auto(minus high stall:d ) and sits in the porsche turbo, your always gonna be impressed with the new enviroment and new features like throttle control, engine braking, a clutch! e.t.c

I feel someone going from manual single to the porsche is gonna be impressed with a lot less

The only thing I can say for any new car, no matter what it is, its sure to be more refined than the 13yr old sup,but I reckon I'll keep wanting my thrills til I'm a little older;)

So, to summarise so far.

A single turbo Supra is the best thing since sliced bread. King of the road. Better than the latest sports cars blah de blah.

Does this include all the "kwik fit" single conversions being done on limited budgets or just the uber-expensive built engine jobbies?

I must admit, I like the look of that Challenger - but I like the Camaro better!

But then again, I've always perferred Chev to Dodge anyway. Dodge always seemed to change components on their cars for the strangest of reasons. You'd find for example that a model with aircon would have some really strange differences to one without, like different mid-pipes in the exhaust or different ball joints in the suspension!! Bizarre.

Chev (& GM cars in general) were always much more consistant with their parts and hence much easier to identify and source parts correctly first time.

However, I'm sure that both of these cars will be great fun whichever you might choose. (And I'll bet they'll handle a whole lot better than the originals, too!)

Oh - and on the subject of old cars, I'd still rather drive a 1969 Camaro/Challenger than a 1969 Morris/Austin/Wolsey or whatever!

And 'yes', I have had a number of american cars of that era. (And now, the current era - but you can't compare the two any more than you can compare British cars of the same eras)

The Supra is still a great car to drive, but I now recognise that there are better cars out there, even if most of them cost more! My Corvette is a better drive for me, but we're still keeping one Supe!

So, to summarise so far.

A single turbo Supra is the best thing since sliced bread. King of the road. Better than the latest sports cars blah de blah.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell yes :D

Besides, an N/A could have that german crap any day :innocent:

Yes maybe...but in comparison to a BPU manual? Everyone is different but unless you want a the sup to be solely fast on a drag strip, of which the auto is probably better at, then I cant see the point.

IMO, you're talking out of that thing you shit out of sit on.

I've been looking longingly at MK1 MX-5's, I want something cheap, lightweight and basic, that I can prep as a track car and do all the work on myself.

Much as I'd love to do more track days in the Supra, the costs start to add up and I suspect I'd get more enjoyment out of the little MX-5 knowing it wouldn't cost me much to fix.

Exactly why I bought one. It's something cheap enough for me to throw around without worrying about the cost if I fudge up. I also feel alot more compelled to tinker within the engine itself as again it's no big loss if I do something wrong. As Chris said the earlier ones are the best as they not too 'portly' :)

I've still got my Supra for the posing, speed and great noise :cool:

One day someone will drop an ali big block V8 Chevy in a Supra and those that get to ride in it will desperately want one.

Funny you should mention that, I have had very SERIOUS discussions about putting a ZL1 block in a supra. The engine would be pushed back as it's a v8 and so weight distribution better. Power would be there instantly and the block only weighs something like 600lbs ;)

I think Bolarbag is on to something regarding the autobox. If someone dumped all the parts for a manual conversion on my doorstep FOC I'd have the conversion done tomorow, and I suspect I'm not the only one put off by the cost of the conversion either.

I have been using MANU mode more lately, but it still isn't quite the same is it.

Are any other gearboxes suitable for a 6spd conversion?

Btw, the car that spoilt my Supra was a 996X50 tuned by DMS.

Went out in a 500bhp Ultima GTR and oh my god I have never been in something that handled the way it did the stopping power was stupidly hard and the acceleration was everything that the supra isnt just gut renching with just raw power on tap from the 7ltr V8. As you sit right infront of the engine that has a rather short straight through exausts its also sounds awesome couldnt really talk in it though and deffently not a just popping to the shops type car but I am going to have one in a few years when the insuance drops. Ok I understand compairing a car 2 seater MR £50k+ super car to the humble supra is a bit unfair I still just remind myself I have nearly 400 horses at the age of 23 much more than most people my age.

Nice, a MKIV Supra turbo beat a Ultima GTR in the one lap of America race by quite some distance.. irrc.

As a slight aside, being lucky enough to drive lots of Supras, Skylines, RX-7 FD's and the like, the ones with modest sized turbos and good mapping *ALWAYS* blow the pants of the mega turbo ones, as a road car. Whilst a big turbo is wheezing its way towards proper boost, a little turbo, or healthy J-Spec stock ones, are up and running and the cars like a rabbit out of the corners. It is VERY easy to build a big dyno HP engine that's a total dog in a road car :)

it's really good to hear you say that and to me it makes a lot of sense too

lots of people going for big bhp dyno figures with less concern for driveability and the whole package - then being surprised when they experience some other car that offers the more complete picture.

I've come from the lighter 4wd lancia delta and this was a back road king, yet one thing that impressed me with the supra at bpu with j-spec turbos was it's responsiveness and driveability around the back roads - real usable power through the manual box - quicker than the lancia in all but the tightest bends (and in the wet). This to me was impressive and a real eye opener, and is one of the main reasons I've had a reluctance to go single. I think bang per buck this sort of setup takes some beating really, especially through the manual box.

tbh this sort of set up is faster than I could want to go around public roads and I'd get more by learning to drive what I have than chasing more power at the expense of response and driveability.

I guess at the end of the day there is always something quicker (and often more expensive), but if you can get the most out of what you have and enjoy it and still be quicker than 99% of other cars out there in something affordable and reliable (and good looking) then you can't be going to far wrong, can you?

Great thread! It's nice that, as a forum, we can debate the good AND the bad points of the Supra. I'm now coming up to 5 years of ownership and will probably have it for a while yet.

However, I'm sad to say I now find the Supra kind of dull to drive since I bought an Elise. The Supra is by far the better car, but the Elise is in a class of its own with regard to steering feel, throttle response and understanding what the car is doing underneath you.

I rarely took the Supra out for a drive, just for the sake of driving. But I do it all the time in the Elise. That's what makes the difference to me.

So, to summarise so far.

Does this include all the "kwik fit" single conversions being done on limited budgets or just the uber-expensive built engine jobbies?

For my sins I work for Shit Fit and we hav'nt started doing single conversions yet.:)

With the cost of supra going down, you could never get that much for it, so why not keep it for the road and get something else for the track.

Must agree with a load of the points already... CW a race prepared car puts ANY road car to shame for feel and so on. Modern day auto are really good and yes an auto in traffic is great and very easy.

However the supra is old and yes, well ahead of its time! There is nothing out there that has the potential that the supra has (bang for buck).

The good thing with the supra is easy to modify to what ever level you like, you change the exterior and make it your own, it will hold its own against my supercars. If you do stack it on the track it will not cost as much as stacking a GT3...

However, I'm sad to say I now find the Supra kind of dull to drive since I bought an Elise. The Supra is by far the better car, but the Elise is in a class of its own with regard to steering feel, throttle response and understanding what the car is doing underneath you.

I rarely took the Supra out for a drive, just for the sake of driving. But I do it all the time in the Elise. That's what makes the difference to me.

interesting you say that, totally understand where you're coming from

apart from the exotic/expensive (in which case I'll take the Ultima GTR please) then something small, lightweight, nimble and fun like that is the sort of thing that might tempt me away from the supra one day.

My affordable idea is something like an Exige with some engine transplant (that doesn't ruin the car) as a fast road driving blast :D - still those cars are not cheap yet which kills the bang for buck, at the moment

The Supra is a great combination, very quick, great looks (better than a 996/M3/etc IMHO), four seats and awesome reliability.

On the topic of Porsche's, my flatmate's dad has a 2000 996 C4. Purchased from a main dealer, regularly serviced and very well looked after with 30k miles yet he's had no end of problems with it, the most major of which has been failure of the head gasket leaving him with a bill of around £8k, and apparently it's just happened again! It's certainly put me off the idea of Porsche ownership...

I can't think of any other car with the same level of power and reliability as the Supra.

All that said I do quite fancy something that's a little more involving and nippy - in my old CRX VT I used to nail it out of the lights at every opportunity, in the Supra I feel like I've become a bit of a cruising old man! Ultimately I'd love to have a track day car on the side which quite a few people on here to seem to do...

Man what a crock of crap this thread is. I'm surprised that Chris hasn't come down on the side of common sense here. Yeah a brand spanking new 2007 Porsche is going to impress a man on so many different levels, as would a Veyron, as would any other exotic piece of metal including a spankin new roller.

The point thats being missed here a bit is wether or not you let the experience alter your opinion of your own car. For me totally no. For sure I would love to cruise down the Boulevard in a spankin new rari but guess what I have a wife and child and a job that just pays the bills so that just aint happenin. I am more than happy with my car. I've followed bignum around a swamped castle donington in my car and stuck firmly with him, I also had a newish GT3 follow me round right up until he span it off. He didn't have the beans to get past me on the straights and I handled just well enough to hold him off in the bends.

All this talk of singles is utter bollox. The better way of showing up a 911 is to get shot of that GT riding suspension and fit some decent track biased stuff, then and only then will you realise the supras potential. All of the power in the world is useless unless you can control it. I also take on board the whole auto/manual thing but for a decent setup twin high power BPU car the auto is almost acceptable through tight lower speed circuits.

I found my single a bit of a disadvantage coupled to my auto box at Zaandvoort as it has alot of very tight low second gear bends in an auto that would be high second gear waiting to blast onto third in a manual but too quick for my first gear so I had to sit on the lag or bounce the rev limiter. Its all about bend exit ability and I was bogged down summat chronic.

If I could even it up a bit I'd say OK lads lets stick 4 passengers in the car, and whilst we are at it stick 3 peoples suitcases in the boot and a couple of vanity cases. Then we'll have another go at that track :)

MMMM OK this thread progressed a bit whilst I was forming my response :D