The mkiv Supra Owners Club

meh.. exceeding the speed limit

carl0s

Didn't leave an office in Leeds until 21:10 last night and I could sense disheartedness in the girlfriend's voice when I kept ringing saying "I won't be long now", however it took over 45 minutes for a 5minute active directory forest prepartion to occur on this 10yr old server.

So I was running late.

The copper didn't clock me at any particular speed, other than that on the video he was doing 117mph and still wasn't gaining on me, so from this he will estimate what my speed probably was. He was a nice chap and we got along well. He said I would probably plead hardship being self employed looking after the IT for 20 odd different companies.

He agreed I wasn't driving dangerously, just driving with excessive speed.

d'oh.

Aren't all Japanese imported cars limited to 112mph though? It's just from the video it looks like I was doing over 120, maybe even 130 - 140. Not possible surely? I wasn't looking at the clock, mainly the road, although I suppose at one point it might have been pointing at 120mph, which would in reality be 112-ish mph.

Sorry Carl but that isn't good!! I would just plead poverty and say you need your car to keep employed etc.

I think I got done yesterday if that is any comfort!!:( Thought I had got away with 45 in a 40 until a mate pointed out that the road I was on is now a 30.......:blink:

H.

Someone did get away with this in court by saying his jap car was limited to 112mph. In his case the police equipment clearly showed way above this. They sent his car for testing and confirmed it wouldn't do the speed they clocked him at and had to throw the case out completely due to no evidence.

The case was on pepipoo I think.

Someone did get away with this in court by saying his jap car was limited to 112mph. In his case the police equipment clearly showed way above this. They sent his car for testing and confirmed it wouldn't do the speed they clocked him at and had to throw the case out completely due to no evidence.

The case was on pepipoo I think.

:yeahthat:

Don't give up. If you are going to court anyway, make sure your limiter works and say "but my car physically can't go that fast" and stick to it. Don't even admit to driving fast. You can't remember what speed you were doing at the time (and can't reasonably be expected to) but you were, as ever, driving sensibly for the conditions at the time. Your clean license (if you have a clean license ;) ) will attest to the fact that despite having a fast car you do not drive it outside of the law.

-Ian

Agreed. Your car is limited (if it isn't get it fitted asap)

That way when he says "i was doing 117 and he was pulling away" you can say "er no, the car can't do more than 112" so that makes his evidence wrong. Should get thrown out.

Dinnae do it again though!

m.

I don't think it really matters if it was only 112mph.

Over a ton and your looking at a ban :(

Nah - several people I know have been caught in the region of 110mph and come away with 6 points and a fine. Having been stopped by a friendly policeman will help, definitely.

Agreed you may have a chance to get away with this, especially if he didn't actually get a speed reading. There's no way to say accurately what speed you were doing, other than that you were exceeding the limit. Surely they'd only be able to prosecute for a standard 3 points and £60 fine at best in that case?

I had a similar thing..

The bloke who pulled me over was nice as pie, we sat is discussing the VASCO system in his car, and he was showing me doing 115mph (same as you and him not gaining)... Same agreed stuff, just quick not dangerous...

Then ended up in court without this 'nice' officer, and they charged me with 5 points and £300....

So it didn't really make a damn difference how well I was driving or how well I got on with officer... the courts just took one look and went BAN... and only after some very heartful pleading, they agreed to give me license with only 1 point left on it...

I'd be careful if I were you...

errr.. 5 points and £300 sounds pretty lenient for 115mph, isn't it?

The 5 points were the total they gave me to take me up to 11 points... being a consultant I said that using public transport would end up costing me a fortune since the company provide me with a vehicle, and I would loose my job and then therefore not be able to pay the fine....

Does the video show the speed of the police car? If it does and the video shows him not gaining on you, then could the video be used in court to prove the case?

Might be worth a quiet chat with our resident bobby Carl :sly:

Get that limiter sorted mate!! It's not as if you are going to want to go faster between now and going to court.....;)

I would keep it up your sleeve until the coppers have given their evidence.......:sly:

H.

Keeping it up his sleeve could be construed as failing to mention at the time, something that he later relied on in court.

Get a brief.

im confused ? did he state the speed you were driving at or just estimate it ?

Surely an estimate is not admissable in court as it is not accurate and doesn't represent fact.

i suggest you have this moved to members chat.

I suspect to prove your car was limited you will have to employ an expert to drive the car and prepare a report (this will be expensive) when i had to employ an expert to check me out and write a report it was circa £600

Get what limiter fitted? The cars are limited from the factory. It's in their makeup. I'd have to have some kind of de-limiter chip to even go beyond 112mph.

I'm basically thinking what Pete and Ian said, basically he seemed to be of the opinion that I was "probably exceeding 120mph", and if that comes up in court then I think the speed limit could show that their video was in fact a bit wrong.

Get what limiter fitted? The cars are limited from the factory. It's in their makeup. I'd have to have some kind of de-limiter chip to even go beyond 112mph.

People are saying this as the majority of 'em dont have the limiter anymore.

Oh yeah and apparently my license was revoked in 2002, and I have 10 points. First I've heard :eek:

I thought I had six, and an actual license too.

oh dear

And yeah i agree, get this moved to a more secure section of the forum

People are saying this as the majority of 'em dont have the limiter anymore.

oh dear

Ah. I'm almost certain my car tops out at somewhere around 120 on the clock. I know that's still naughtly, but it just sort of brings the validity of the speed-estimate into question a little bit.

And yeah i agree, get this moved to a more secure section of the forum

Fair enough. I'm not up to anything sinister though. I'll let the mods do whatever they feel is most suitable if they happen to be passing by ;)

Oh yeah and apparently my license was revoked in 2002, and I have 10 points. First I've heard :eek:

I thought I had six, and an actual license too.

Driving without a license? Therefore insured? At 100+mph.

Ooooooh dear. :rlol: