The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Looked at a Corvette on Friday

outatime

I went to look at a Corvette C5 on Friday. It was a 54 plate Le Mans Commemorative Edition Coupe (targa) , 6 speed manual with 9k on the clock, in Le Mans Blue.

As much as I loved it, it would have been very stupid to buy it - thirsty V8, needs new tyres and a service, even bigger than the Supra, LHD...

So, I bought it :D

The acceleration was unbelievable, it felt much quicker than my BPU Supra even though it shouldn't be. It was savage through the gears and kept going, could be the extra torque I guess. Sounded rather nice as well :)

Handling wise, the current owner scared me to death demonstrating its grip at 110 leptons.

I'm intending to keep it for the summer, then sell it on again. That is what I told the girlfriend anyway :innocent:

Its going to be a long couple of weeks until I can pick it up.

It looks pretty much like this, but with the Z06 Chrome Alloys:

http://images.craigslist.org/010109010210010302200706033677525435af6005c1000420.jpg

Nice one!

Now get yourself over to the UK owners site and register - the nationals are on later this month at Huntingdon in Cambs!

Glad to hear another person who has suddenly realised that the 'Yanks don't handle' thing is a myth when it comes to the 'Vette!

:)

Cheers for the advice, Brian.

I've always had a thing for Corvettes, so it would have been rude not to.

I'm expecting the usual comments regarding the handling. The way it went round bends at silly speeds was impressive, huge grip without so much as a squeel. It is still on the run flats at the moment, putting proper tyres on should help.

I'll be on the corvette forums once I get it, the seller is on holiday for over a week :(

He gave me a copy of the Ecklers catalogue to keep me occupied though ;)

:)

Cheers for the advice, Brian.

I've always had a thing for Corvettes, so it would have been rude not to.

I'm expecting the usual comments regarding the handling. The way it went round bends at silly speeds was impressive, huge grip without so much as a squeel. It is still on the run flats at the moment, putting proper tyres on should help.

I'll be on the corvette forums once I get it, the seller is on holiday for over a week :(

He gave me a copy of the Ecklers catalogue to keep me occupied though ;)

Yep - most people say they are even better on normal tyres. However, I'm impressed enough with the handling and grip to keep it on the runflats. I've had 2 pnuctures in the last 3 years where i got a cut over an inch long in a tyre. I'd have need to be recovered if I'd been in a 'vette due to the absence of a spare.

Also, if you puncture a normal tyre, you end up breaking the tyre pressure monitor on the back of the valve - these aren't too cheap to replace. (about £100 a time)

LHD's easy mate.

First few times you tend to wander across the road as you associate driving with YOUR position on the road (ie on the RHS of the lane) rather than the cars position (in the centre), but after a week it's natural.

Only bugger is overtaking, when you need throw yourself over onto the passenger's side to see if it's clear.

Beautiful..i drove a C6 last Saturday, im hooked...just need to get sum money to buy one...working on it though;)

They are nice, I was going to get a C6 but I got this one for a good price. I should be able to make a bit on it when I sell it, and maybe go for a C6 then. It would have to be a manual for me, which limits my options a bit.

You can pick C6's up for the mid to high 20k now, less if you import one from the states.

love the vett even if it does have leaf springs ;)

You would honestly never know from driving it, they aren't the same as the ones on my Navara ;)

Lovely mate, gotta love that V8 rumble :D

Thanks, that is what convinced me in the end. It is so smooth cruising along in stupid low revs, then you press the throttle and all hell breaks loose :D

I was all set to get an exhaust for it, but it sounds amazing without one.

LHD's easy mate.

First few times you tend to wander across the road as you associate driving with YOUR position on the road (ie on the RHS of the lane) rather than the cars position (in the centre), but after a week it's natural.

Only bugger is overtaking, when you need throw yourself over onto the passenger's side to see if it's clear.

Yeah, I agree. I found myself wandering a bit, or sticking too close to the curb but i'll get used to it.

It will be odd driving abroad now though :)

The acceleration was unbelievable, it felt much quicker than my BPU Supra even though it shouldn't be. It was savage through the gears and kept going, could be the extra torque I guess. Sounded rather nice as well

You should feel how quick your old car is now ;) and the sound of the single is :wow:

You should feel how quick your old car is now ;) and the sound of the single is :wow:

Sounds like you are treating it well ;)

The delivery is different with a big NA Lump, not saying it is better just different.

I could whack a supercharger or turbo on it if I get bored :D

I was about to PM you actually, I found the spare keys in a drawer yesterday. Can you send me your address :)

Wait until you hear one with Borlas or Corsas on - you'll be reaching for the credit card, I guarantee it!:D

:tempted:

I heard a few in the US, one with a supercharger nearly ran me over :cool:

If I decide to keep it for a bit, it will be having an exhaust and maybe varioram induction.

It looks like a beautiful car and you'll enjoy it with or without mods - don't forget to post up some pics when you get your mits on it!

Should be picking it up next weekend, so i'll sort out some pics then.

I am so chuffed to have got one, I was very close to buying an S2000 until the Corvette idea popped into my head. I saw a load in California and convinced myself it was the right car.

I thought i'd have a long wait for a decent 6 speed, but have ended up with a last year Commemorative C5 within a couple of days of looking :)

Me and My dad imported this one last year :)

Driven it a couple of times and it is very fun and stupidly powerful right from 1k rpm! Stupid amount of torque!

Sounds awesome too when you stick a good exhaust on them - the whining you hear is obviously the supercharger going.

Its at Interpro now with Jody T being taken back up to approx 500BHP as it was reduced back to the 300's when brought over for SVA test :)

Enjoy

http://del.icio.us/post?url=http://media.putfile.com/Supercharged-Corvette;title=Supercharged+Corvette+Video+on+Putfile