The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Questions for Tom, the photographer guy.

RedM

Can you explain to me why the colour of this Porsche GT3 has magically changed from Orange to Yellow without me messing with any setting.

The camera is a Kodak DX6490 (no, no sniggering please) on full auto mode.

Also, when taking pics of the racing action at the BTCC this weekend I was ending up with pictures of track where cars used to be! I kinda got around this by holding the button half down so it was pre-focused and then fully clicking as the car was about to hit the centre of the image. I worked to some degree but I'm guessing the camera is just too slow.

Do DSLRs take a pic instantly? If you see the car in the viewfinder and click, would they capture it or do you still kind of have to be predictive?

Any tips for capturing action on my cruddy camera?

Cheers,

Martin

Auto exposure I guess.

DSLRs generally have quicker shutters than point and shoot cameras or the ability to change the shutter speed to suit the subject, they also give you the chance to take a 10 shot burst of the car approaching, you delete the crap, keep the one good shot and then look like a hero ;)

Auto exposure I guess.

DSLRs generally have quicker shutters than point and shoot cameras or the ability to change the shutter speed to suit the subject, they also give you the chance to take a 10 shot burst of the car approaching, you delete the crap, keep the one good shot and then look like a hero ;)

Thanks Tom. :D

I thought that might be the case. One thing I noticed was that trying to follow a car using the screen was near impossible and the viewfinder (which I've not used before) turned out to be a mini lcd screen too so was just as shite. They both went blank when doing multi-shutter stuff so I had no idea if I had the subject in view or not.:rolleyes:

Looks like auto exposure to me.

The cmaera has 'spot focus'ed' on the dark wheel area. Camera has taken this spot and produced the exposure needed to bring out the wheel, unfortunately it has used this exposure for the rest of the shot thus over exposing the rest of the picture :)

My canon DSLR has a feature where it will refocus the subject every second of less, you can half depress the button and it will start focusing. Depressing the button fully will give you an instant snap, you shouldt miss your subject then :)

hth

Forgot to say, use the viewfinder it *should* be more responsive than the main screen. DSLR's tend not to have a realtime lcd screen only for displaying the finished picture.

Start focusing on the subject before it reaches your chosen capture location, if you can manually focus before on it then great althou your camera probably doesnt do that.

Learn how to pan, it will help greatly

Finally, just keep at it, one day it will just click :)

While I'm asking questions I saw many photographers with DSLRs that had some kind of bulky attachment underneath. It was the same width as the camera and added about 2" to the overall height?

What were they? Battery packs?

Another panned shot, as you can see the car is crisp sharp and the background all blurred

http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/669/brans0013sizecf9.jpg

If you can, up the shutter speed (open longer) as it will allow you to blur the background, you want the car not the spectators :)

Drop the shutter speed (freeze the action) and you will get a shot with the crowd slightly blurred (out of focus) and the car crisp (in focus)

http://img251.imageshack.us/img251/2293/brans0007sizetf7.jpg

surely if you up the shutter speed it will open and close faster? :confused:

Don't get technical on me, my bran just cant handle it! :p

Up.....as in up the time it remains open. Shutter speeds are measured in the amount of time the shutter is simply open rather than the time it takes to open and close.

Someone correct me if im wrong thou?

see, the way i read that means i would be right :blink:

it's basically using different terms

i.e.

short = fast and long = slow

Wikipedia - shutter speed is the time for which the shutter is held open during the taking of a photograph

So an exposure of say 1/500s and upping it to 1s would mean the shutter is open longer.

Remember you are measureing the time the shutter is fully open not how fast it open/close's that value remains constant whatever shutter speed you select.

I think you think that when i say upping the exposure i mean moving up the scale (1 --> 1/60) rather than time which is what shutter speed is measured in :)

Wikipedia - shutter speed is the time for which the shutter is held open during the taking of a photograph

So an exposure of say 1/500s and upping it to 1s would mean the shutter is open longer.

Remember you are measureing the time the shutter is fully open not how fast it open/close's that value remains constant whatever shutter speed you select.

I think you think that when i say upping the exposure i mean moving up the scale (1 --> 1/60) rather than time which is what shutter speed is measured in :)

please stop!!

i've now managed to confuse myself so, as i know what i mean i'll just leave it at that :D