The mkiv Supra Owners Club

could have been killed tonight

lambertpig

just had a bit of luck tonight!!

left the club where i work and was very short of fuel for the 25 mile trip home. stopped a the only garage open and put £12 in as they only had regular unleaded.so i turn off the boost controller to drive slow off boost ,so im going up the blofeild bypass at 50mph with the cruise on and suddenly all power is lost instantly ,steering, lights ,motor i slowed to stop to find the battery wire had slipped off the terminal. if it wasnt for the low octane fuel i would have been doing at least 130mph around that sweeper and i would have crashed for sure it was pitch black with no lighting. check your terminals in the morning peeps

Same thing happened to me last summer only going downhill towards a fairly sharp right-hander.

Thankfully the terminal hadn't come fully off and made contact again. Just in time.

Now check it every few days.

make sure you keep your terminals clean as well, as this can cause problems too

I concur. I lost power quite suddenly last year, even with the terminals securely on. Check the inside of the terminals, giving them a little rub down with emery paper being careful not to complete the circuit with your own body :Pling:.

Not fun fighting the power steering motor on a bend at all.

Which direction were you going, mate?

I've gone into that bend at daft speeds (a few years ago now - I don't tend to take any chances these days) heading towards Yarmouth. You can get up to over 160 if you get the power down early out of the Brundall roundabout and nail it down the hill. (Please don't try this though!)

I dread to think what would have happened if anything like that had gone wrong. At those speeds, the smallest of problems can be massive.

Thinking about it, at that sort of speed, I doubt they'd ever be able to tell what caused the driver to lose control if it went badly wrong because of a loose battery terminal.

Happened to me on an old motorbike once (Suzuki GT550) - hit a bump and the battery cut out - hit the second one and everything came back on again :) _ problem was that as the engine banged back into life there was a big backfire and the exhaust baffle decided to try and embed itself in my mate's chest (he was following me)!!

He had a lovely circular bruise for a few days LOL