The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ANOTHER boost problem - help please guys!

Sheefa

Hi all,

Now I'm sure if the car has been like this when I got it back from Turbofit 2 weeks ago or not as I really haven't driven her much. Plus, for the past 6 months or so I've only been driving on one turbo, or at stock boost because of that RR and other issues.

Anyway, before I had the VSOSs done and the Turbos replaced, TF managed to get it boosting right to 1.2 bar (on my Envy hybrids). Now I have the Turbotechnics Hybrids fitted and no matter what channel I use I can only get up to 0.67bar, sometimes 0.7! Before it was making a good 1.1bar ch1, 1.15 chn2, 1.3 ch3 and 1.35 ch4. :rolleyes:

I can't see any split hoses at all, and I can feel the turbo come in - but god knows if it's the second one! :( I don't think it can be.

Any ideas what it could be? I'm going to probably go back to Turbofit as need this sorted if I'm to successfully sell the damn thing! It pulls really well and drives absolutely mint, but this is yet another blo*dy problem with the quite frankly, crap seq system! :search:

Help people!

Thanks,

Greg

Has there been any change in exhaust note (i.e. louder/deeper)?

could be #2 isn't spinning up - check all the hoses, especially the ones down the back of the turbos to the EGBV actuator - it's very easy for them to get kinked or split.

Holds the level of boost Ian and pulls pretty damn well still past 4,000. In fact, at 4k rpm it goes like the clappers still. :)

Don't think the exhaust note has changed either Bob. Don't "think" it has! I'll need to get under the engine bay and have a good look around.

I wouldn't touch anything and just throw it back at the repairer rather than dealing with it yourself. Given the amount you've spent on it I would really expect it to be running properly by now without you having to keep f*cking about.

I know Pete - my thoughts exactly. Hacked off isn't the word matey!

I never realised until yesterday as I just don't drive her much at all and certainly haven't been putting my foot down in case things go wrong..............again!

Well it sounds like both turbos are still coming online, if every different boost controller setting ends up with it still seemingly running off the wastegate I'd suggest maybe it's still running off the wastegate and the boost controller isn't working for some reason? Plumbing, config etc. Check the "internal external wastegate" setting for a start :)

-Ian

Hi Ian,

Nope all channels are set to Manual and they're running off the Actuator not the Wastegate mate. Greg @ Turbofit said he'd have another look - must be a popped/split hose somewhere. :)

BC has been working perfectly mate - just it seems I have numerous boost related problems!! :rolleyes:

Thanks pal ;)

Greg

Well it sounds like both turbos are still coming online, if every different boost controller setting ends up with it still seemingly running off the wastegate I'd suggest maybe it's still running off the wastegate and the boost controller isn't working for some reason? Plumbing, config etc. Check the "internal external wastegate" setting for a start :)

-Ian

Boost is being read from Electronic boost controller and a mechanical Greddy gauge too mate and they both read the same so don't think it's a problem with the gizmos.

Cheers pal :)

Greg

Unless they are tee'd off the same pipe - In which case it could just be a split or kinked pipe leading through into the car.

SORTED!! :)

Went to Turbofit yesterday and had a lovewly day in the sun, oh and Greg kindly sorted my boost problem too :) It was a combination of a popped hose right at the back of the inlet manifold that I think feeds into the pressure tank? and two smaller hoses on the inlet man area VSV were the wrong way round.

She now boosts to a healthy 1.15bar, although of course I can take her up to 1.3 if I really want too (Best not!) :)

Thanks again Greg ;)

Greg

Can I just ask why they were the wrong way round?

JB

Branners, your guess is as good as mine. No, they weren't supposed to be. TF made the error when putting the turbo's back in and the respective pipework. No damage done. :)

Really glad for you Greg after all the time, effort and money!!

Any more news on the sale?

Thanks mate. Few enquiries, but nobody except one person has bothered turning up to view yet which is a little frustrating to be honest. :)

I won't even tell the story about the person who did turn up to view and the part-ex with his Yamaha scooter!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Er hang on, inlet manifold VSV? What inlet manifold VSV?

SORTED!! :)

Went to Turbofit yesterday and had a lovewly day in the sun, oh and Greg kindly sorted my boost problem too :) It was a combination of a popped hose right at the back of the inlet manifold that I think feeds into the pressure tank? and two smaller hoses on the inlet man area VSV were the wrong way round.

She now boosts to a healthy 1.15bar, although of course I can take her up to 1.3 if I really want too (Best not!) :)

Thanks again Greg ;)

Greg

Er hang on, inlet manifold VSV? What inlet manifold VSV?

Ian, never take anything I say as technically correct bud! ;)

I'll try and find a pic and highlight the area.

There was a hose that had come off the back of the inlet manifold - correct? Small rubber one that I think feeds into the pressure tank.

And, there was the incorrect fitting of two hoses on the VSV near the middle of engine bay mate, by the top turbo pipework if that makes sense!

Cheers,

Greg