The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Severely pi**ed off!

cheekymonkey

Hi Guys

Scenario - my car was bought for £11k just a couple of months ago.

Last week as some of you know, a car hit me and damanged the rear bumper and wing, car is still perfectly driveable though.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=112197

Got an estimate for repair today and they reckon 2 grand ish which seems silly if you look at the car. They also said insurance company will most likely want to write the car off!

Where do I stand here? Is there any way I can force the 3rd party to make a repair? Because if they do write it off they will probably look in some silly book and offer me peanuts for the car, this just isn't fair as it's not my fault.

Tempted to tell them all to swivel and repair it out of my own pocket, but at this point I just don't know what to do :(

i am in the same boat, although the insurance inspector hasnt seen it yet but i am worried it will be written off and i'll get next to nothing for it. i know how you feel mate. i feel like i am about to be the victim again although it wasnt my fault.

good luck with yours though hope it works out for ya!

Can do, but I do trust the garage I went to in this instance - they know how insurance companies work.

It's not the cost of the repair that bothers me, it's the insurance companies. They've already said once that due to the "age of the car" it may be a write off, but there's no way I will let that happen...

If the damage was caused by a third party and their insurance is paying for the repair, then you can insist that they repair it. Besides, it takes the repair costs to be 60% of the market value of the car before it becomes uneconomical to repair. That would mean your car would have to be worth about £3k which sounds unlikely.

Don't get too upset until the insurance company contact you.

:thumbs:

Soop Dogg is spot on.

You can get your own insurance company to fight this on your behalf and insist that the car is fully repaired.

I would also suggest you print off a couple of adverts from here or auto trader of similar speced cars and perhaps even ask Jurgen to provide a written quotation of the cost to repalce your car (This will count a LOT in your favour).

That sounds like too much money to me, i assume that is for brand new parts as well ?

toyota Rear bumper £600 (pre painted)

Rear quarter panel £365.

+ labour and fitting ?

I had to have my rear quarter replaced after the guy over the road reversed in to me and the toal bill was around £675 ! Including new rear panel.

Perhaps shopping around would be a wise thing to do.

I'll admit I don't know much about how bodywork is put together, but the damaged bit on the rear seems to be one continuous peice of metal from the quarter panel to the roof and everything, I shouldn't think that's easily replacable!

But yeah I will fight it whatever happens. Will get in touch with Jurgen if it comes to that - thanks homer :)

I'll admit I don't know much about how bodywork is put together, but the damaged bit on the rear seems to be one continuous peice of metal from the quarter panel to the roof and everything, I shouldn't think that's easily replacable!

But yeah I will fight it whatever happens. Will get in touch with Jurgen if it comes to that - thanks homer :)

As i said i had mine replaced for that price i mentioned above, it just needs to be blended in to the roof line, not a hard job at all.

Edit, see picture of mine:

This was my old car -

,needed new rear quarter ,new rear bumper,new hks hiper exhaust,new front bumper,2 new wings,new rear wing,1 full set of 19" racing hart cx's,1 new goodyear f1 tyre(rear),oem spats,oem skirts,new bonnet,2 new uk spec glass headlights,1 new door .

The insurance assesor said that it was only 500 quid over the limit so he had to write it off as cat 'D'.Im sure yours would cost a lot less to fix,only thing is this was a few years ago when TT6 supras were pulling more money.

don't believe what the assessor tells you.

When mine was hit by the taxi, I fought for & had 3 different assessments by different firms.

My repair bill was over 9K.

As has been said before, point the assessors to websites like Jugens', GT cars ( for prices :) )etc.

PROVE you cannot get a replacement for 'Book' prices.

IF you want to keep you car & have it repaired, you WILL have to fight for it

John

BTW liverpool victoria & Norwich union won't write off a car until it is over 85% of the value.........I Know from experience