The mkiv Supra Owners Club

VALVE STEM OIL SEALS cheap solution

dude

For what it's worth I won't give a definitive quote on jobs like this as the cars are now getting quite old, and as such things seize, snap and strip, and other faults are VERY likely to be shown on such a major strip down. It's not the sort of job I want to do twice, so if I do it at all, it's MY way, with WHATEVER new bits *I* deem appropriate. A lot of people can't get their heads around a none fixed price for such a job, but enough can, and appreciate a proper job, to keep me very busy. These are complex engines and corner cutting will come back to bite you, in my opinion. If someone just wants stem seals changing and the rest of the unit is deemed fit for more work Dudes method sounds great. Only snag is if guides are worn, but on OHC direct valve operation engines side loads on the stems are minimal and they wear very slowly *IF* *IF* IF* decent air filtration has always been used, as in stock filter. I hereby prophesy that we will see more and more worn valve guides as aftermarket filters do their worst to let the engine breath gritty air. Worn rings and bores too, at a premature mileage. :innocent:

Originally posted by Terry S

Have you ever changed the guides on a MKIV Chris???

Yes, changed plenty of exhaust ones, and I think some inlets too, although I prefer to liner or scroll the existing ones if possible, as a new guide's ID is very rarely concentric to the old one's ID, and you end up cutting the new seats a lot deeper, recessing the valves and having to use very thin shims.

Originally posted by Chris Wilson

I hereby prophesy that we will see more and more worn valve guides as aftermarket filters do their worst to let the engine breath gritty air. Worn rings and bores too, at a premature mileage. :innocent:

If I didn't like my current one, I'd most definately have that as my sig. Every modified supe I've seen so far has had a "performance" air filter put on it. Apexi or whatever. I don't bother commenting, but I do wonder what these people are thinking.

ive changed steam seals on various cars by filling the chamber with compressed air (airline fitting,old spark plug and a bit of braizing) and using a specialy modified tool (a hacksawed spring compressor) and bolting it to the engine with various brackets. workd well on a cvh lol but u can swap a head on a cvh in 25 mins....

Originally posted by sinbad

Dude,

Where abouts are you located?

Is this a job you could do in a working day or would I have to leave the car there overnight?

Thanks

I dont think this can be done in a day mainly due to the fact that the engine needs to cool down for a while before work commences , if you coming from ireland youd want to stop the night as im near Brighton , im sure you can get this done nearer to home , but if not your welcome .

Dude:flame Dev