The mkiv Supra Owners Club

VALVE STEM OIL SEALS cheap solution

dude

I have purchased a tool that i believe will enable the fitting of new Stem seals without the need to remove the cylinder head etc and the resulting £1000 ++ bill , i am going to try this on a supra hopefully this week , ive allready had a dry run on a head on the bench and everything worked well , as the cams have to come out its an ideal time to replace any noisey shims and also for a bit extra replace the cam belt , i'll keep you updated as i know there are now quite a few 'early morning smokers' out there:D

Dude:flame Dev

Originally posted by Jake

Hi John

How much would you charge for this job with your new wizzy tool?

My stem seals have needed doing for ages but, strangely, I can usually think of something else I'd rather spend a grand on.

Im hoping to do this for around £400 + parts

Stem oil seals are around £62 , a cam belt is £29 , new camshaft seals are £12 . As a cambelt change is £150 on its own it works out as about £250 + parts to stop being smokey . If you can do the job in 2 hours Jake you can have a job ............ on the williams F1 team !!:D

Re the tool for the collets dont know what you mean there dude .

Originally posted by Nick@TC

£1k for new valve stem oil seals?? 'kin hell I must put our prices up :D

Thats normally £1K labour Nick , then you have a head gasket, bolts , turbo gaskets, drain tube rubbers , inlet and plenum and TB gaskets so all in it comes to around £1300 if you charge any less you are mugging yourself off , especially as more and more of the studs/bolts turbo side are now seeming to snap off .

Originally posted by dude

If you can do the job in 2 hours Jake you can have a job ............ on the williams F1 team !!

No thanks mate. I was just joking about your £200 hourly rate.
Re the tool for the collets dont know what you mean there dude.
When I asked about this very same subject last year you mentioned that a tool was needed to reinstall the collets. Ring any bells now? :p

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11175

Originally posted by Jake

No thanks mate. I was just joking about your £200 hourly rate. When I asked about this very same subject last year you mentioned that a tool was needed to reinstall the collets. Ring any bells now? :p

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=11175

Ah yes i remember now , i had used a tool that looked like an impact wrench that sort of drove the collets back onto the valve , this allways worried me incase it somehow broke a collet that wasnt obvious at the time . With my new tool i put the collets in as i would with the head on the bench , ie pin nose pliers and grease .

BTW its £175 an hour as ive been to a Steve M seminar :sly:

Originally posted by dude

Thats normally £1K labour Nick , then you have a head gasket, bolts , turbo gaskets, drain tube rubbers , inlet and plenum and TB gaskets so all in it comes to around £1300 if you charge any less you are mugging yourself off , especially as more and more of the studs/bolts turbo side are now seeming to snap off .

20 hours work (inc head skim) £600

Head set (which includes all gaskets) £98

£698 max :D

20 hours work (inc head skim) £600

Head set (which includes all gaskets) £98

You might work for £30 an hour nick but i dont !!!!, Head gasket is £84 , turbo gaskets are circca £100, inlet gaskets are around £35,stem oil seals are £62 and the set of new stretch bolts are over £100 plus a cam belt at £29 so thats around £447 inc the vat, how on earth did you come up with £98 for parts Nick unless of course you mean dont change any other gaskets /belts etc and use a mickey mouse gsaket set from midnite autos !!!;)

So realistically weve got £20 hrs labour (which WILL be more cause there is a good chance of snapping a stud of when removing the turbos) + £447 worth of GENUINE gaskets etc + most people will say can you change the oil while youve got it so it comes to WELL over a grand if it is to be done properly :thumbs:

So the best way weve got

£698 + the stretch bolts and stem seals you forgot ;) so now were up to £850 thats £400 more than i can do the job for :conf:

oh and we forgot camshaft seals and coolant !!!!!!;)