The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Going to be taking head off soon

DannoSupra

I'll be taking the cyl head off the supra soon to change stem seals...

What Head Gasket and Timing Belt should i go for?

Also i'll be going sinlge soon, is it best to put cam's in it? or leave it till a later date? If so, which ones to go for? and is it a good idea to Port an Polish the head?

Cheers Guys

Dan

Won't it be easier to go single at the same time. Seems crazy to put the stocks back on
:yeahthat:

Can't you delay doing the stem seals until you go single?

Taking the stokers off is a PITA anyway, putting them back on only to remove again later is madness! :D

Anyway, stock Toyota head gasket and cam belt are great quality. I'd definitely stick with those.

thinks i'll be gettin a GT4088r or a T04z

The trendy choice ;)

As Homer says cam choice depends on a number of factors, I'm not changing the head on mine until I've identified the weaknesses of the standard stuff with the rest of the build.

ok then.../.. whts the GT4088 like? what sort of power will i get? when does it spool and peak

Well, that depends on the spec of the rest of the engine, ECU and drivetrain.

See where this is going now? :D You need to decide what YOUR goals are in terms of torque delivery, your driving sytle, what you use the car for, etc THEN build the engine (and rest of the car) around those requirements.

Righty, appreciate the help btw

I'll be converting it to 6spd, using AEM ECU, Want around the 600-700 mark,. i dnt want it to be a Pig to drive, comfortable power, noting too laggy, i know there will be lag, but i dont want a power band of 1000rpm before having to change gear

probably a stupid question but i'll ask anyway...........

do the turbos have to be removed to remove the cylinder head? if you had a mate to help could the whole head not be lifted off with them still attached (obviously after disconnecting various water/oil pipes etc)........

Righty, appreciate the help btw

I'll be converting it to 6spd, using AEM ECU, Want around the 600-700 mark,. i dnt want it to be a Pig to drive, comfortable power, noting too laggy, i know there will be lag, but i dont want a power band of 1000rpm before having to change gear

There's some conflicting goals there Danno

First off, do you know just how much power 600-700hp is on a road car? That sort of power level is simply ferocious and pretty useless on the road. If I were you I'd get a drive in a 'real' 550bhp car and see if you think you need more :D

Secondly (and before we discuss further) what is you budget for the entire conversion, and how much can you spare per month to keep it running?

I'm not trying to be a kill-joy, but these massive bhp figures are thown around here by some people like they're nothing. Planning a conversion around your needs is essential... disregard peak hp goals at this stage.

probably a stupid question but i'll ask anyway...........

do the turbos have to be removed to remove the cylinder head? if you had a mate to help could the whole head not be lifted off with them still attached (obviously after disconnecting various water/oil pipes etc)........

I think it could be done if you have a proper ramp, but would be very tricky (oil lines, water lines and turbo supports are a nightmare to get to with the turbo's in place). It would probably be easier taking the turbo's off at the manifold - and I don't say that lightly :D

I think it could be done if you have a proper ramp, but would be very tricky (oil lines, water lines and turbo supports are a nightmare to get to with the turbo's in place). It would probably be easier taking the turbo's off at the manifold - and I don't say that lightly :D

ah i forgot about the support brackets to the block.........