The mkiv Supra Owners Club

really how bad are induction kits???

Guest jk_supra

Guest jk_supra

i know im going to get totally shot down for this but here goes:hang:

ive been reading through some old threads bout how bad induction kits are, does anyone actually have an proper evidence ie rolling road test before and after fitting an induction kit??? :search:

There's a definite arguement against them in terms of sucking in hot air from the engine bay. I don't know how good/bad the actual filters are for filtration and/or pressure drop from the different manufacturers. I doubt anyone here has ever done any sort of empirical testing. I would never consider fitting one unless it was in an insulated and ducted box of some sort.

On a stock car you'd want to stick with the stock box as it's pretty much sealed i.e minimal heat soak and the filteration is obviously very good.

With an aftermarket filter you get more air going in as the spores are bigger, thus more crap gets in and 9/10 they aren't shielded so heat soak becomes a big problem.

Now if you must get an induction kit then the Apexi is the best one to get, to over come the crap getting in, you would have to carry out more frequent oil changes. As for the heat soak, it's only really a problem at low speeds and even more noticeable on a track.

They cant be that bad as all singles run induction kits, and most aren't even shielded.

...does anyone actually have an proper evidence ie rolling road test before and after fitting an induction kit??? :search:

Filtering aside, with the bonnet open you can see a few extra bhp on the RR using any cone-type filter.

Not sure how often you'll be driving around with an open bonnet though...;)

i know crap going in your engine isnt good but it applies to the TT boys more than the NA right???

The TT boys need a lot more air going through the filter than the NA boys, if the stock airbox is not a restiction for the TT, it's certainly not going to be for the NA :)