The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Trans am project car....

DannyW

I remember the first time I went to the States, these had just come out. (1977). I thought they looked amazing and bought a model of one. (I was 11 years old then)

Good luck with it. Ultimate Spares of America do a lot of stuff for these cars - all the panels etc are still available - even floor pans AFAIK! (Their website isn't up to much, so probably best phone them!) Service parts are cheap as chips - even though we're talking big block.

If you need any more info or ideas on where to get parts, give me a shout.

What are you planning on doing for the chassic work? IIRC they're a unibody design, are you going to remove the front clip and work from there?

It's just 1 of the rear chassis legs that need replacing, its an easy job by the looks of it. Rear suspension needs taking off to do it which is ok as i have all new rear suspension to re-fit.

• 10 months later...
Guest mattsupra

out of all the yanks this is one of those love them or hate them versions and sorry im on the marmite fence here as i hate them

the bandit did a god job making then something there not but its still a trans am which for me isnt too nice or pretty but im into the muscle side of things like dodge darts and chargers etc

but still a good project to work on and it keeps another yank on the road so let us know how it did or did not turn out

matt

out of all the yanks this is one of those love them or hate them versions and sorry im on the marmite fence here as i hate them

the bandit did a god job making then something there not but its still a trans am which for me isnt too nice or pretty but im into the muscle side of things like dodge darts and chargers etc

but still a good project to work on and it keeps another yank on the road so let us know how it did or did not turn out

matt

Interesting, what have you owned of these Matt? I've not personally owned any old yank muscle, but a early stang, later charger or challenger are on the 'to die for' list :D

And to Danny, lets have an update fella ;)

Guest mattsupra

ive owned many yanks in my time but no as you i would love a charger or challenger but as i said its not my fave american motor tbh the trans am

ive put pics up of my f150 on here and ive also been around yanks all my life as my dad started the custom show at doncaster with cliff moore which is now run by ripspeed and at donny race course

anything else you need to know you nosey bugger lol

Sorry, only just seen this thread.

Turns out the car was a complete lemon, it was a cat C write off, which the previous owner (a member on here) reckons he knew nothing about, even though the claim went through whilst he owned the car :taped:

Also turns out it wasn't even a real trans am anyway, just a regular firebird with an engine swap, but they hadn't upraded the cooling system, or the suspension to handle the extra power.

So i ended up flogging it on to an american car collector for a MASSIVE loss. He said he would probably end up breaking it as it was in a bad state.

Oh well, you live and learn, just another reason not to trust people based on face value i suppose.