The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Trans am project car....

DannyW

Just got back home after a day out to weston super mare to collect my new project car.

The car:

1977 Pontiac Firebird Trans am 6.6litre V8

(crappy phone pic in the pouring rain too)

Work needed

Bodywork:

New rear floor pans due to severe rust

New rear chassis legs to be fitted due to rust

New mirrors (due to vandalism)

New side vent (vandalism again)

Repairs to hood scoop (bloody vandals!)

Paint touch-up around vandal damage

Suspension:

New leaf springs and rears shocks to be fitted (parts were included with the car)

Engine:

New fuel pump needs fitting (included with the car)

Possibly new fuel lines

Interior:

New carpet

Retrim on front seats

New speakers and possibly new stereo

First job is to give the car a thorough clean as it's been sat outside for a while in the elements so is fairly mucky, then i need to assess all the damaged areas the look at the welding that needs doing.

I'll update this thread (if anyone cares) as i go along.

cheers!

I like these motor's. A guy I work with has had five Trans Ams, I think four of them have been 79's though, with one 78 which is the same shape as yours, all 6.6's. He's always buying an selling bits for them. His latest one is a black n gold 79 special edition, lovely car :) .

I like these motor's. A guy I work with has had five Trans Ams, I think four of them have been 79's though, with one 78 which is the same shape as yours, all 6.6's. He's always buying an selling bits for them. His latest one is a black n gold 79 special edition, lovely car :) .

Cool, would you mind asking him if he has any mirrors or sidevents for a gen2 like mine? would save me buying from stateside.

cheers.

Cool, would you mind asking him if he has any mirrors or sidevents for a gen2 like mine? would save me buying from stateside.

cheers.

No worries mate, i'll see if I can get a couple of his contacts phone numbers for you too. I'll pm you them if I can. ;)

I am SOOO jealous!

I nearly bought a 455 bullnose project a few years ago (it was only £4k), but decided it was too much work. (Trans Am's really suffer from chassis rot). Would really love a big US muscle car to work on in the spare time....

Please, please, please keep a thread on here with the progress. I'd love to see how it works out for you.

I am SOOO jealous!

I nearly bought a 455 bullnose project a few years ago (it was only £4k), but decided it was too much work. (Trans Am's really suffer from chassis rot). Would really love a big US muscle car to work on in the spare time....

Please, please, please keep a thread on here with the progress. I'd love to see how it works out for you.

Thanks mate, yeah i'm planning on keeping this thread running as a kind of diary with photos and stuff.

It's lots and lots of work but i'm looking forward to it to be honest.

Good luck.. Just remember the more you delve the more you find..

Subscribed out of interest and pity..LOL

Not the best thing to hear from a classic car restorer :D (Though I don't know one that would say any different!)