The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Old school carbs..

JustGav

Okay,

My dad and I have pretty much finished his build of his mg midget. The problem he is having is balancing of the dual carbs on the 1275 A-series. Does anybody know of anybody within the northampton area who is capable of doing this properly. Last time my dad took the initiative and took his car to a garage without asking me, they charged him £300 to swop the intake manifold and a bolt.

After having rebuilt the engine from scratch, I'd rather someone with carb experience do the final tweak.

Thanks

Is he a member of any MG forums? Sure that could be a good place to start.

He is a member of an mg board, but from what I've seen they certainly don't have the same spirit at has been shown here. People on there are more than happy to shift bits, but my dad isn't clued up enough to ask on the forum and stuff like that. My dad isn't a technophobe, but a little bit of tech (ie computer) and it gets dangerous *grin*... He has just gotten to grips with sending me pictures via email... (Was yelling at him over the phone in Tescos the other day, because he wouldn't listen to me when I was explaining how to resize photo's to email them to me)...

Spent ages rebuilding the engine, rebuilt gearbox. Just getting the last bit done... I've done the timing for my dad and it is spot on, just the carbs to do, but I've had 0 experience with carbs apart from tweaking the odd single one, balancing duals is a bit trickier I assume.

Attached, my dad the old-boy racer *grin*

MrMG.jpg

There is a tool for this and its a simple theory from what i can remember. Something like long tubular vac tubes. I will have a lookski

Hmmm, I bought him a carb balancer off ebay and dropped it off one day with a note saying 'If it had FI I would do it, but carbs, here you go...'

Might look for a how to for him... but I think he is at the stage where it is the last thing to do and he would rather just get it done now, I live 2 hours away so can't just constantly drive up to him to tweak it...

northamptonmotorsport.com looks just what you need fella. If he can do Webers he can do anything. They were always a bitch to set up. Lol.

Cheers for that, it is a good start, I'll get him to get hold of them on tuesday, and see how it goes.. Will let you know. :thumbs:

Cheers for that, it is a good start, I'll get him to get hold of them on tuesday, and see how it goes.. Will let you know. :thumbs:

Thanks mate. They've got a good website, very informative, almost always a good sign.

Hope it turns out ok. :)

You can do it by ear with a stethascope

Yep, it's the only way I've ever set up my twin webers along with a colour tune kit. You can fine tune with a manometer but not sure where to buy one.

I'm not looking forward to setting up the dual choke twins on the new vdub engine when I finally round to it. :)

thanks for the link to northampton motorsport, I know where that is. ill give them a go for my next service or pop in and have a chat when i next have a chance see if they have done any supes before and let the locals know :)

Sounds like they know what there doing. and have a rolling road :)

thanks for the link to northampton motorsport, I know where that is. ill give them a go for my next service or pop in and have a chat when i next have a chance see if they have done any supes before and let the locals know :)

Sounds like they know what there doing. and have a rolling road :)

Would you mind asking them for a rough cost on balancing dual carbs on a 1275cc a-series engine?

i see a red esprit arround northampton quite a lot. coming too and from work.

Mine was white and was sold to a guy in Wales about 5 years ago :)

Would you mind asking them for a rough cost on balancing dual carbs on a 1275cc a-series engine?

I will try and pop in tomorrow if i get the chance.

What make carbs are they and any other details they might want to know?

:)

Mine was white and was sold to a guy in Wales about 5 years ago :)

I will try and pop in tomorrow if i get the chance.

What make carbs are they and any other details they might want to know?

:)

SU carbs... 1 1/4 (I think), on a standard a-series 1275cc engine in a mg midget mk3 1972 RWA.

Thanks dude