The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Im Dreaming of a Corvette C6

Green Peace

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice write up as always, lucky you for going for a drive in that!

Thanks mate (my attempt at being an automotive jorno ha ha..just wish my spelling was better etc:p )

Yeah i know didn't think they'd let me lol...I always wonder about how they define the difference between a joyrider and someone who wants to actually buy a car..not sure which catagory i fall into at this stage!!!!!, but i remember being turned down once to test drive a BMW 318...

I then went and bought a 325 for a lot more money and turned up at the Dealership that wouldn't let me testdrive their car and parked the more expensive 325 right by the window where the sales bloke was sitting and went in and asked how to change the battery in the alarm remote...his face was a picture!:blink:

These guys at Stratstones were really accomodating and nothing was a problem, they even said if i wanted to come and test drive it again i'd be more than welcome...great service...and im a sucker for good service:d

What a wicked car though...more than worth plunging into debt for ha ha!:cool:

I do think you should have your own column somewhere. I'm not sure its worth getting into debt but a very nice car, quite a bit over than the price of a good C5 but I guess that’s to be expected.

If only i went to the right skool;)

I try and speak from the heart, i get caught up in the emotion of it all... When Clarkson once said that the Supra lacked emotion hes so wrong, The Supra and its world with you and everyone else joined me up to one of the biggest disfunctional family's ever;)

When things go wrong in my life i know theres a few people I can relate to as mad as me...I almost bought a C5 once...but I'm glad i bought a Supra only because there was more love on the Supra forum then...

This is the only thing that scares me about having a C6...I feel i'll be alientated or have to grow a beard and listen to Kris Kristoffesen...but theres loads Vette owners on here now!

I do think the Vettes are pretty unique, whilst i was seeing this car, a women with three screaming kids was testing the Mustang, i had a brief look at it...and the salesman was telling her about 'The Shakker' system (1000 watt stereo)...I guess she was hoping to drown out the crying kids in the back lol.

I dont get this globalised form of customisation, its bit like the Mini's with the Chilli packs, yeah great so individual except everyone else has the chilli pack and the Shakker system.

I badly need something like a Vette right now to whisk me away from reality!!!!:(

I liked the comment about the good roads! I have been in 3 different states over the last 2 weeks and the roads were dreadful, both MI and NY were very poor and much of the toll road I went on in OH was patched up to buggery. Fairly flat yes, but not smooth at all.

Coming back to UK roads felt like how we feel German roads are to us :)

I'd love a Vette, but I wouldnt get one here as I know how cheap they can be had for stateside.

I'd love a Vette, but I wouldnt get one here as I know how cheap they can be had for stateside.

But the import costs can bump the price of a yank car up pretty close to what you'd pay for one here.

OR, you could look in Europe for a Eurospec car - then you save the cost of SVA as they don't require it.

Importing from the states means you have to pay about 1k to get it here (with insurance), then you have to pay VAT and import duty - can't remember which you pay first, but it goes that you have to pay the first tax (let's say it's the 17.5% VAT) on the value of the car AND the costs of getting it to the UK (yes you have to pay tax on the cost of getting it into the country!) and then the import duty goes on that subtotal - so you end up paying tax on tax!

So a car that you find for $30,000 (£15,000) in the states can end up costing you over £21,000 to get it on the road in this country, but with the added hassle of having to go through all the car finding/paying/importing/SVA'ing and registering stuff.

It's still worth looking around in this country if you're interested in one.

Oh - great write-up Green Peace - you're making me want a C6 now!

:D