The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Im Dreaming of a Corvette C6

Green Peace

Hi I cant sleep.

A mate of mine wants to go look at a Corvette C6 and wants me to drive it and tell him what i think lol!

Trying to arrange a Test drive next weekend hopefully.

Has anyone driven one?

Just been checking out Top Gears opinion and not impressed by what they have said.

But as they say 'you have to Eat the pudding to know if it tastes good':D

So far without driving it..the againsts are: American lol, LHD, Leafsprings on rear, poor qaulity plastics...Medieval Gear changes. (though we are testing the new 6 speed tip Gearbox!)

Fors: (in my mind) people will want to have sex with me:p 0-60 in sub 4.5 secs, 49/51 weight distribution, traction can be switched completely off (scary) 400bhp, few service intervals, Similar economy to a Supra. Extremely Rare car on the road..so will get loved at every set of lights.

Other features i like are versatility of having a targa roof, HUD, built in Sat Nav...paddle shift versatility.

I will of course make a comparision to the Supra because thats a very similar car in some respects and really the only Supercar I have experience of.

Also how would it fair for instance against Chris Webleys SLK E55 (thats obviously very important:p )

Answers and views and thoughts from you experts on a Postcard Please!

Cheers

Si

:cool:

P.S Yeah I know the Zo6 exists but its half as much on top of the price of a C6 and therefor not an option

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are really nice cars, shame they're only left hand drive... I guy around here has a yellow one and it looks/sounds stunning :D

Yep shame they dont do a RHD version, Ive only seen two on the road since they came out..one was yesturday in Bath (W Country) a convertable...the other was driving down Wardour Street (West End) a few months ago...

Def a pose mobil...and they are getting cheaper and more affordable starting to appear on the S/H market for as little as £24k so getting closer to affordability.

Si

:cool:

I was under the impression that the C6 came as a shock to the motoring journalists, they all wanted to hate it and had their generic clichés ready but it's actually very good. Handles well despite the old suspension design, great engine and good driver feedback, plastic to the extreme but cheap enough to allow this.

EVO gave it 4 stars, it can't be too bad, the Z06 is better though ;)

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/52263/corvette_c6.html

In terms of quality, road feel and all that I would take a C6 over a supra anyday. Its just a 12 year old car against a one or two year old car.

Sure the supra can be downright faster when fitted with a single but beside that it doesnt have a lot that speaks for it.

I was under the impression that the C6 came as a shock to the motoring journalists, they all wanted to hate it and had their generic clichés ready but it's actually very good. Handles well despite the old suspension design, great engine and good driver feedback, plastic to the extreme but cheap enough to allow this.

EVO gave it 4 stars, it can't be too bad, the Z06 is better though ;)

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/52263/corvette_c6.html

Thanks good review.

I'm just wondering how the new 6 speed Tip rates....cant seem to find any review with that gearbox anywhere...Otherwise it seems you have to be a Chippendale in order to handle the gear changes.

I took a couple of C5's for a spin a few years ago and although they are nice enough to park outside an Al Fresco Restaurant..and admire it above the horizon of your tapas...it made me feel very small and lost when i dived into the deep end of its interior and waited for the driver to get in the other side...then i realised I was the driver lol.

Trying to pull out into a busy road with only one view through a mirror the size of a box of matches was a bit scary.

Forget width restrictions too lol in a C5...with as much predicted accuracy as Mystic Meg thats a definate no no...it was huge cumbersome with no traction and bad ergonomics...the view around me said i was driving a Corvette, my ass told me i was riding an oversized shopping trolley. with a large supply of Pampas obstructing my view.

I guess with no way of getting thru the drive thru's the Corvette has shed a few stone....just hope this time it tastes as good as it 'looks' on the menu!

Does anyone know where to get a review with the new 6Speed tip gearbox?

P.S. i doubt its a patch on the future proof design and technology of the Supra..I mean the C5 was rejected by me for another Supra..it was way behind the Supra in so many ways...Havent driven anything this side of £40k yet that can replace a Supra....hoping this comes near...Im 5'8 so a Supra always fitted me like a glass slipper, and I always felt like a Princess driving it(I mean a Prince obviously ha ha)

If I was going for an american motor it would be something like this.

http://www.zen85016.zen.co.uk/gallery/odds/FordMustang.jpg

Wow...the Saleen and the Shelby versions are quite cool too, great bodykit.

But Mustangs are a bit too 'West Hollywood' if you get me...a fair few Jeep Wranglers have been traded in for those!

Looks wise its too blunt bit like I feel about the Skyline..I kind think of the Mustang as a bloke and the Corvette and Supra as ladies lol due to the curves.

I rekon there must be some psychology in that somewhere...:D

(dont worry I'll resurface in a sec lol)

Thanks good review.

I'm just wondering how the new 6 speed Tip rates....cant seem to find any review with that gearbox anywhere...Otherwise it seems you have to be a Chippendale in order to handle the gear changes.

I took a couple of C5's for a spin a few years ago and although they are nice enough to park outside an Al Fresco Restaurant..and admire it above the horizon of your tapas...it made me feel very small and lost when i dived into the deep end of its interior and waited for the driver to get in the other side...then i realised I was the driver lol.

Trying to pull out into a busy road with only one view through a mirror the size of a box of matches was a bit scary.

Forget width restrictions too lol in a C5...with as much predicted accuracy as Mystic Meg thats a definate no no...it was huge cumbersome with no traction and bad ergonomics...the view around me said i was driving a Corvette, my ass told me i was riding an oversized shopping trolley. with a large supply of Pampas obstructing my view.

I guess with no way of getting thru the drive thru's the Corvette has shed a few stone....just hope this time it tastes as good as it 'looks' on the menu!

Does anyone know where to get a review with the new 6Speed tip gearbox?

P.S. i doubt its a patch on the future proof design and technology of the Supra..I mean the C5 was rejected by me for another Supra..it was way behind the Supra in so many ways...Havent driven anything this side of £40k yet that can replace a Supra....hoping this comes near...Im 5'8 so a Supra always fitted me like a glass slipper, and I always felt like a Princess driving it(I mean a Prince obviously ha ha)

What the hell age of C5 did you drive? No traction? Traction and the active handling that I have on mine are brilliant - I haven't even bothered fitting RLTC because it is such a good system. The head up display is a very useful tool too. (Standard post 2002) And economy-wise, on the motorway I get almost 33mpg on regular cheapo unleaded! (Around town about 20 to 22, but again - you don't need to feed these things expensive fuel)

Yes, LHD means you have some issues when driving in the UK but that's hardly the fault of the car - it was designed for driving on the right! Yes, the C5 is large, but if you give it only a couple of days of frequent driving, you get to know where the corners of the car are and it isn't as large as it looks. (I put the Supra down the side of my house and have to fold the mirrors in for it to fit - but the C5 also fits - I think there's actually only a couple of inches difference in the widths of the two cars) The fact that you can see the flared wings from the drivers seat makes it seem MUCH wider than it really is.

My supra has Ohlins suspension - probably the best you can buy - but the vette will outhandle it without any effort whatsoever. The 'leaf springs' are not what Mr Clarkson would have you believe - they have a single transverse plastic leaf spring at each end - not one per corner as he suggests. They also have independent wishbones at each corner, and some cars have the magnetc ride control shocks - the Corvette being the first production car to use this - now being put in the Ferrari 599. So suspension technology is not what exactly old-fashioned.

I still have my Supe, but when I want to go out and enjoy the drive, it's the vette every time for me now - not dissing the Supra at all - it's a brilliant car and for the sheer kick in the back when the 2nd turbo comes in, it's fantastic. But the C5 is actually a very agile car - you just need to get a feel for what the chassis is telling you and where its' corners are - that doesn't happen on a test drive - not even in a couple of hours. (And not even in a Supra when you first drive that either!)

The C6 is a beauty of a car - the interior is a bit disappointing, but the rest of the car looks great. Don't let the plastic panels put you off either. The vette has been plastic or fibreglass bodied since it's introduction in 1953 - it's never going to rust or get shopping trolley dents! Underneath the plastic skin it's actually a strongly built car. (They're made to stop a Cadillac climbing in beside you - not a Fiesta!)

I would say, however that there are a number of C5 owners who have bought the C6 (non-Z06) and been disappointed enough to sell it and come back to the C5 again. (Although I'd still like the chance to own a C6 myself regardless!)

As they are N/A, they don't actually feel as fast as they are - but just put one alongside your Supra TT at the traffic lights and you'll get the idea!

Ah Soop...

I obviously got lost down a cup holder and missed the traction button:p

A mate has a Camaro locally (hes a big c5 fan though )and he said similar to what you have said about the C5 being a good bet for the same reasons that you pointed out, one of which was that you can overcompensate with so many tuning and aftermarket options available for the C5 over here now and for a similar amount of dosh build a C5 up to overstep what the c6 improves on in most cases.

Sorry for my ignorance on the C5 btw...it was only a quick swim on both occasions...i guess its like sticking ya head in the tumbledryer and switching on feels wierd at first but after a while you get accustomed to it:p its like any new car i suppose different animal, just have to get used to it before it becomes part of you and responds in a way that you get used to and comfortable with..new pair of shoes!

I saw a beautiful Green C5 in France once tried to have a converstation with its French owner which ended up as a John Cleese Impersonation with lots of animated hand waving and signals lol...looked absolutely nuts though such a beautiful car...i should of given it more time or another go i guess...i missed out i guess.

Great car for the Continent..i can just imagine driving across France or Spain, roof in the boot, Nivana or Nine Inch Nails to accompany the exhaust notes and not having to get out of the car to pay the tolls.

Is yours Auto or manual...have you heard anything good or bad about the new tiptronic gearbox..also got any pics of yours?

ToyotaSupraUK yeah lol. im sure it has a different message here im just scared i'll get found out:D ;)

Edit: it was a couple of 97's I think i drove Soop....Didn't have the Heads Up Display..did they actually have traction control...i never found it or wasn't aware of it, wasn't demonstrated to me either..did they actually have traction on 97 model?

oooh a Corvette -buy it !!! :love:

I would have one in a minute if I didn't have the Supes. I loved driving the C5 and prefer their looks over the C6.

When I hired a C5 for the day I had a fantastic time driving it, although I don't think my mum enjoyed the launch from the traffic lights which resulted in a nice snakey motion down the road!

Ah Soop...

I obviously got lost down a cup holder and missed the traction button:p

A mate has a Camaro locally (hes a big c5 fan though )and he said similar to what you have said about the C5 being a good bet for the same reasons that you pointed out, one of which was that you can overcompensate with so many tuning and aftermarket options available for the C5 over here now and for a similar amount of dosh build a C5 up to overstep what the c6 improves on in most cases.

Sorry for my ignorance on the C5 btw...it was only a quick swim on both occasions...i guess its like sticking ya head in the tumbledryer and switching on feels wierd at first but after a while you get accustomed to it:p its like any new car i suppose different animal, just have to get used to it before it becomes part of you and responds in a way that you get used to and comfortable with..new pair of shoes!

I saw a beautiful Green C5 in France once tried to have a converstation with its French owner which ended up as a John Cleese Impersonation with lots of animated hand waving and signals lol...looked absolutely nuts though such a beautiful car...i should of given it more time or another go i guess...i missed out i guess.

Great car for the Continent..i can just imagine driving across France or Spain, roof in the boot, Nivana or Nine Inch Nails to accompany the exhaust notes and not having to get out of the car to pay the tolls.

Is yours Auto or manual...have you heard anything good or bad about the new tiptronic gearbox..also got any pics of yours?

ToyotaSupraUK yeah lol. im sure it has a different message here im just scared i'll get found out:D ;)

Edit: it was a couple of 97's I think i drove Soop....Didn't have the Heads Up Display..did they actually have traction control...i never found it or wasn't aware of it, wasn't demonstrated to me either..did they actually have traction on 97 model?

Good post, Green! Sorry if I came over all defensive - I guess it's easy for any of us to do when it comes to the cars we drive. But I do hear a lot of misconceptions about the Corvette (C5 and C6) usually as a result of what has been said on Top Gear. However, the C6 Z06 went round the track faster than the Zonda and Murcielago, so the 'Leaf Springs' seem to do a pretty good job!

I don't think the '97's had traction control as standard. (Or the Active Handling - GM version of ESP) Both make the car a lot of fun. The active handling is very unobtrusive - I've had it kick in once or twice and didn't notice that it had been applying individual brakes to help me out - I only knew it had intervened as I just noticed the writing on the computer saying it had done something.

Mine is an auto which is a pretty good box. I prefer the auto box in the Supra at the moment, but at least I can adjust the line pressures and the change regime with a laptop when I get hold of the right software. Maybe the changes will sharpen up a bit then. (Don't get me wrong - it's not a bad box, but the Supra auto box I find to be exceptional) I haven't tried the tiptronic box.

Let me know how the test in the C6 goes - I'll have to take a test drive myself someday soon - just to see what I think of it, you understand.....:innocent:

Here's my C5 convertible. With the top down, there's no problems pulling out of junctions. (That's my excuse!!)

WOW...that is some car...

Great Licence plate that must of cost a bit.

Beautiful....Its just nice also to feel so exclusive i bet...and people will look at that car with affection it sends out the right message!

No worries about being defensive...im kind of glad i unitentionally provoked that reaction coz i learned some reality from someone who actually owns one in return.

I always used to get defensive about my Supra, its a relationship (a reliable one tho lol) wish everything could be as good as the cars we drive!!!!:cool:

P.S. Just realised thats the Last model year of the C5 isn't it....?

WOW...that is some car...

Great Licence plate that must of cost a bit.

Beautiful....Its just nice also to feel so exclusive i bet...and people will look at that car with affection it sends out the right message!

No worries about being defensive...im kind of glad i unitentionally provoked that reaction coz i learned some reality from someone who actually owns one in return.

I always used to get defensive about my Supra, its a relationship (a reliable one tho lol) wish everything could be as good as the cars we drive!!!!:cool:

P.S. Just realised thats the Last model year of the C5 isn't it....?

Thanks Green Peace.

The plate had never been issued. Angie found it, so I thought I'd better buy it. ;) (although I did dither over it for about 4 months, so was lucky it was still there!) Wasn't too expensive - about a grand.

The car is a Euro spec, actually manufactured in 2003 (it's has the 50th anniversary badges) but was sold new in 2004 by a dealer in Germany.

I've always known the 'vette won't be to everyone's taste -especially with the whole America thing these days, but I bought it for me, and I'm very happy with it. (Had a '75 'vette years ago and always regretted selling it, so I feel I'm back where I belong now, behind the wheel of one of these)

It is nice to have the Supra too. I still can't bare to part with it! I will always have a place in the driveway for my aerotop. (watch this space for a video we're doing that should explain all)

:)

There is a bit of a bias against the US cars in the UK motoring press,the corvette has so much bang for buck,looks great,and throw a bit of cash into an early c5 say £10000 with a purchase price around £15000 - £25000 total and you could count on one hand how many cars would come even close,in any area of performance -there are a wealth of after market items for the car in the states -Icon amongst cars , for the price of a small bmw

There is a bit of a bias against the US cars in the UK motoring press,the corvette has so much bang for buck,looks great,and throw a bit of cash into an early c5 say £10000 with a purchase price around £15000 - £25000 total and you could count on one hand how many cars would come even close,in any area of performance -there are a wealth of after market items for the car in the states -Icon amongst cars , for the price of a small bmw

Yeah I agree on that..Ive always liked American cars right from being a kid...I used to dream of one day owning a Lincoln Continental MKIV...just liked the look, when i was v young, used to look out for them in films on telly and go 'Theres a Lincoln wooow' the other thing i liked was American trucks, used to have loads of posters of Peterbilts and Kenworths, polished chrome exhausts..Think David Beckham had a Peterbilt tractor unit to drive around the M25 when he got bored;) and Chris Ewebank drove his to No 10 Downing Street(well actually into No 10 almost ha ha)

The Yanks are funny, here we have rain in May obviously due to global warming;) :D

Yet the Yanks are putting SRT10's and huge Chevvy blocks in everything.

I mean is this the worlds biggest ever lie global warming!!!! or is it coz the oil supply is getting low and so the rest of the world has to pay more whilst The Yanks go blow up some more countries to find another 100 years worth..and the tax on petrol (sorry gas:p ) is going to a worthy cause in the long run!!!!!:blink:

Or maybe its Global warming;) :p

i have always liked corvettes.from the stingray corvettes to the c5 corvette.seen one at santapod in carpark on saturday.the old stingray was a turbo vette from york drag strip a month or so ago.

heres a couple of american cars i seen on my travels

Mark stop carjacking the thread with Mustangs:d :p

Nice though....love the kit on the GT500 thanks for sharing:cool:

I saw a brand new Saleen at the Ring two weeks ago. It didn't impress. Newer Mustang is for high school kids with rich parents and rednecks who like to cruise the local McD's. I prefer the older models. 64-69. Vettes are nice. I just can't afford one (z06) and I only have one garage atm.