The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fitting active spoiler to an SZ?

Digsy

I'm hopefully about to buy a complete active spoiler set up (spolier, motor, brackets, ECU and switch).

When I take the engine undertray off my SZ, will I find the plug dangling there already, and likewise behind the dash, or will I need to make up a special sub-harness, as I think these were only an option on TT models?

TIA.

How many wires can it possibly be?? Surely its an easy enough job to route a couple of wires through the bulkhead. Can't be any more difficult than doing a stereo fit. OK the plugs themselves may be a bit of a sod but that can be gotten around I'm sure. I have an entire cars worth of wiring looms I'm sure there will be a plug that fits both ends.

I think you'll also need the undertray from the donor ........unless they all have the mounting points in them?

I've only seen cars with actives ..... so can't say for sure

You could just swap yours with the donor tho'..

The only non active soop I've seen did not have the necessary loom in the dash

Well if it's plug'n'play then I'd like to give it a go. If it isn't then I'd ike to get a better idea of what is involved before forking out for all the bits. I'm really surprised that the wiring didnt seem to be in the MKIV.com diagrams. Maybe I missed it.

I'm not really all that keen to accidentally stick, say, +12V onto a pin that is expecting a 5V speed pulse, so a bit of background knowledge is what I'm after.

Hi Ian,

The stuff for sale is apparently a complete kit - the seller has even offered to hack the plugs off with as much wire attached as he can if the harness won't come out in one lump.

I meant to take my dash apart and have a poke around behind there to see if there were any sockets with "ACTIVE SPOLIER PLUGS IN HERE" writeen on them, but due to light fitting, trying to repair my aerial and taking my brakes apart as well as general going out drinking and general merriment, I didn't get around to it.

Perhaps if I bring my car to yours one evening this week we can compare the wiring behind the dashboard?

Hmmm, for what it's worth...

My facelift RZ-S has the plugs for the active spoiler ECU and switch neatly taped to other components of the wiring loom, in behind where the stereo sits.

I know this bec I also am attempting to retrofit an active spoiler;

I have not been brave enough to pull the front bumper off to check for the active spoiler motor connection, however, so the active spoiler assembly will continue to sit on my garage floor until someone else answers this final part of the riddle... :D

Right-ho.

Had the dash apart last night and I don't have ANY of the required wiring for the active spoiler behind there. In fact the only unused connector is a single pin job which is taped up in the loom. God knows what is is for, but I doubt it is anything to do with the active spoiler.

I'll have to wait and see how much of the loom can come out with the bits and bobs when my buddy removes his.