The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Do You Support the Road Pricing Trial Plans?

Soop Dogg

I support it, but ONLY if the rest of the road tax and petrol duty is suitably reduced.

You know, i'd actually consider my support if this was the case. (There would have to be plenty of info/safeguards built in to limit the amount they could increase the charges by each year) but I don't see this govt. dropping all the other taxes. As always, I reckon they'll want us to pay this on top of the other taxes.

I think the theory is sound, but it relies on the idea that drivers have perfect information and flexibility - they can chose when to drive, what routes to use, etc.

In practise, everyone has to go up the motorway in time to start work at 9am.

Petrol duty is already effectively road pricing - you pay per mile, there is the incentive to use an economical car, and lets face it, nobody wants to fight through the traffic, so they gravitate to the free-er flowing roads anyway. The government should really be looking at more flexi-time, teleworking, out-of-town business parks, park and rides...heck even changing bus lanes to car pooling lanes would have a massive impact - immediately people would want to car share, to access the empty lane.

My town (Reading) is one of the towns that have applied to trial the road pricing scheme so I am fearing the worst.

I would not mind if the money was going to be spent on improving the road systems in this country but it won't be.

What really gets my goat is that the government lets millions of people come over here from overseas and then complains that the country's roads are clogging up and we all have to pay extra for the right to use those roads. It was there bloody decision to try and cram too many people onto this little island.

I'm sure I read somewhere that although car ownership has increased in this country over the past 20 years, the actual number of driving licence holders in this country has not. We can only drive one car at a time so it's not the number of cars on the road causing the congestion it's the bus lanes, roundabouts, pedestrian free zones, traffic lights and speed calming measures that are slowing down the flow of traffic.

It's just spin by the government to make more money for themselves and has nothing to do with actually solving any problems.

Rant Over.

They need to come up with better schemes than that. They don't seem to coprehend we all need to get to the same place at the same time.

Public transport is laughable and can not be relied upon these days.

A lot of the workforce nowadays could do their job from home, how about more incentives for employers to set up home workers or maybe change the hours of peoples work.

Start them at 11:00, well after the morning rush hour,i know that wont suit everybody though.

Say 2 days a week the worker does his job from home, imagine they got 20,000 + to sign up to that around the london area, that would be quite a difference to traffic and congestion.

Pricing people for going to work is just wrong, they have no control over the houirs they work and are penalised for doing it.

If they're serious I think they should just abolish road Tax and tolls and increase petrol prices slightly... that way haulage firms and people who do high mileage would pay more as they use more fuel and people who do less distance would have to spend less on fuel... It would also mean that foreign drivers would contribute to the maintenance of our roads when they buy our fuel...

seems fairly logical to me.

If it really was such a big deal and stopping traffic was so important then charge £10 a mile everywhere. Job done, the roads will be echoing. Of course, the country will go under, but hey, at least the roads haven't got pesky fucking CARS on them because that's just not what they were designed for. Nope, what they really want to do is get more money out of the punters without stopping any of them actually driving, using congestion as an excuse!

I hate politicians, do they sit and wank off over having control over people's lives or something? CCTV, ID cards, trackers in cars, what's wrong with these people? Get a pet dog or something and leave us alone.

-Ian

Hear hear!

If it really was such a big deal and stopping traffic was so important then charge £10 a mile everywhere. Job done, the roads will be echoing. Of course, the country will go under, but hey, at least the roads haven't got pesky fucking CARS on them because that's just not what they were designed for. Nope, what they really want to do is get more money out of the punters without stopping any of them actually driving, using congestion as an excuse!

I hate politicians, do they sit and wank off over having control over people's lives or something? CCTV, ID cards, trackers in cars, what's wrong with these people? Get a pet dog or something and leave us alone.

-Ian

Well they can F*** off if they think ill give them permission to put a GPS box in my car to track me and my mileage.

I pay enough for tax and petrol so unless they're are drastically reduced they can go stuff themselves!

Im still struggling to see how this will work...

Why couldnt you just turn the box off and drive.... it cant stay on all the time surly as it would drain the battery, and what if you needed to disconnect your battery, would a police man turn up 5 mins later and haul you away on suspicion of fraud? How would it differentiate between me say working on my car for 2 hours, or doing a 2 hour round trip with it off and reconnecting it...

What about when you go through long tunnels.....

Questions questions, all comes down to money though, they COULD do the environmentally friendly thing and get everyone off the road, but then they wouldnt have any money, conflict of interest!

-Ian

And talking of CCTV, in the week when a Chief Constable warned the government about going too far with CCTV and monitoring peoples movements, there have been news articles about the first unmanned police 'drone' aircraft that can relay pictures from 500m away, and then today, traffic wardens being issued with 'bullet cams' attached to their caps, giving pictures of everything they look at - complete with sound!

Eventually people will get fed up with this and bite back at their government. (Come the revolution....)

:rolleyes:

Number plate recognition cameras.

"Car has passed point A"

"Check for GPS record at point A"

"None found"

"Driver has disabled GPS device, send to prison"

So not only are we going to have a massive expensive GPS system, were going to have a nation wide network of cameras just to make sure the gps system is working :blink:

Watch number plate theift go through the roof :(