The mkiv Supra Owners Club

please help me decide which SLR CAMERA ?!

Mas

which one out of these two:

CANON 400D ......? why?

NIKON D40X........? why?

I assume they both have 10+ MP, correct me if Im wrong ?

never seen the quality of 400d but I have seen the 350D which was good enough.

Nikon D40X is sort of my favourite one but need to make sure 100% Im getting the right one ?! with your help ofcourse, so keep the ideas coming guys.

;)

Check this site out:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/forum.asp?forum=1034

There is also a forum for the canon plus there reviews on that site. Both good cameras though. The d40X is amazing as long as you don’t want to buy loads of different lens as it doesn’t have an auto focus motor build into the body so your choice of lens that will auto focus is more limited.

Thanks guys, some very good advise there but one of the main things Im looking into, is that how close to real the colours are when the picture s taken?

IE; I found not many cameras can actually show the exact colour of my car, exept TOM managed to take the closest ever pic Ive seen to really show the colour!

I have pics of my car from more than 10 different cameras but all are different!

please check these two, and you see the colours are so different first one is with my fuji nd second one is from Tom :

I would go for the Nikon. Only because I have used Cannon and Nikon and found the Nikons easier to use.

Really? I've found the opposite, I only used a D70 briefly but changing the settings on the Nikon seemed to be a case of hold one button down while moving the dial, or hold this button down the press this one, etc. The canon you just pick it from the menu. :shrugs:

I've got a Canon 350D and think it's fantastic, some good deals on them now I believe. There seems to be slightly more choice with regards to lenses and bit better pricing than Nikon variants. I do believe the standard Nikon "kit lens" to be of a higher quality than the Canon one from what I've seen though.

I have pics of my car from more than 10 different cameras but all are different!

please check these two, and you see the colours are so different first one is with my fuji nd second one is from Tom :

Have a chat with Tom as most of this is down to technique and settings, he was very helpful when I had some questions.

I've had a Canon 350 for about 2 years now and still think it's a very good camera for the money.

What swayed me with it was the size and weight. I go to Le Mans most years and to have a D70 round my neck for 5 or 6 hours at a time in 30 degrees heat wasn't going to be an option when the 350 was sooo much smaller and lighter.

TBH, they were so close in specifications - some minor features on each that the other couldn't do - it really came down to how I was going to use the camera. Go into a shop and get the models you're interested in out on the table together. See how each feels - handling a camera is a personal thing and you need to try each to see which is more comfortable. These days there isn't a lot too choose between the different competing models.

And forget the whole megapixel numbers game - that's only a headline to grab people who don't know any better. Check out the reviews for what has the best sensor. A good 8Mp sensor will give better results than a mediocre 10Mp using the same lens. Get the best you can afford and get decent lenses. These two things are the most important items that will help you record the most accurate images.

Those two pics of the purple/blue car - good use of a polarising filter will help you to get the best interpretation of that colour.

Thanks guys, very helpful ideas :thumbs:

I actually asked Tom before and he aswell thinks its due to good setting and not the camera, and if the lens is the main reason for getting the closest to the real colour then I will invest in a lens than the camera itself ;)

Its all in the lens Mas :)

I think Toms photo of your car involved a filter of some sort to get the colour you have.

True but i tend to think CCD cameras are better than CMOS, colour is truer definition is better in my opinion.

350D (The One I have) is CMOS and if you compare it with a Nikon which is CCD you can see the difference.

Tom's is a Canon but its a CCD chipset in his i think.

Qaulity of the lense is most important I agree, filters are a must for any serious photographer/videographer.

I do like the A100 Sony i think for a cheap SLR the qaulity is amazing (Good CCD Chip) or Nikon for under £700...The more expensive Canons as i say have CCD's

So...lol...in summery try go for a CCD camera

Tom's is a Canon but its a CCD chipset in his i think.

Nope ;) I have a Nikon D70 Mate :)

yeah it's down to the settings, that particular shot was without the polarizing filter (the other ones of yours were however) but it won't make a difference to the colour just how the light reflects on the car and it has ruined many shots I took at pod, over 400 :(

Megapixles mean nothing, seriously! as Daman said the lens is the important part but still not that important if you know your apertures and you can find you lenses 'sweet spot' then your on your way, It took a while till I found out what worked best for me.

If you want I could put up some pics in auto and just show you how important finding your way around the camera is as If I shot on auto mode with my camera the colours would have come at the same as your fuji, and they really would.

the D80 my brother has but I would rule that out, no point buying that over the d40x, twice the price, heavier and your pictures wont be any better, tbh I wish I had bought my camera 2nd hand as there's no real point in buying brand new, people are always changing bodies but keeping the lenses, so there are some very good buys out there.

I could go out an buy the best camera there is but it sure won't make me a better photographer, it will just bring me back more keepers.

The more expensive the camera the easier and faster it is to get a photo, the quality is still the same.

a P & S camera will give the same quiality as a dslr but they are harder and slower to work around so no good if your taking loads of pics one after the other compared to a dslr.

Honestly it's quite annoying seeing anyone post up some nice pictures and loads of people asking what camera they used :rolleyes: just ask yourself this,

would buying the best car in the world make you a better driver?

same with cameras.

Tom.

Ooops soz...someone told me you had a Canon lol.

I still think there is qaulity issues with CMOS same in video cameras. i would go for a D70 next time or infact a Sony A100!

Other than that very good knowledgable advice from someone who def knows their stuff...and you certainly do!

I been trying to get a bleeding Fisheye last week, for Dragonball so expensive but i then tried a hire place and they are different to TV Facilities houses in that they require a £600 deposit (which they actually cash) so i thought for the sake of a couple of shots it aint worth it.

Any advice on best places to buy photography gear and lenses Tom?

Cheers

Si

Any advice on best places to buy photography gear and lenses Tom?

Cheers

Si

well I havent bought any gear since I bought the camera 11 months ago :) so I don't know really, but I would browse ebay and any camera stores selling used gear :)