The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Englad goes smoke free

JamieP

I'm not sure.:blink: I suppose I just don't like being told what I can and can't do. And I guess I really don't think of myself as a non-smoker yet. I'm just a non practising smoker. Besides I like a smokey pub it adds to the atmosphere.:D

Maybe they should have had good (no smoke) and bad (lots of smoke) pub options. You can then make your own mind up how much you want to smell like an ash tray at the end of the evening......:D

Personally I am over the moon with the ban. I find smokers have a lack of consideration for non smokers and children and tbh it really winds me up at times! That said though, I think the industry will be hit hard as even though the ban will lose punters, people will not be going out to the pub just because the ban is in place. I have also got used to drinking at home too...;)

H.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they should have had good (no smoke) and bad (lots of smoke) pub options. You can then make your own mind up how much you want to smell like an ash tray at the end of the evening......:D

Personally I am over the moon with the ban. I find smokers have a lack of consideration for non smokers and children and tbh it really winds me up at times! That said though, I think the industry will be hit hard as even though the ban will lose punters, people will not be going out to the pub just because the ban is in place. I have also got used to drinking at home too...;)

H.

I could not agree more-im a very considerate smoker,and hate my daughter being near smoke(so we sit in the no smoking bit(how hard is that????),however i dont see the problem with having "smoking Pubs"-put a skull and crossbone on the front if you must.

But the Ban everything mentality is really pissing me off.:(

Smoking is bad for you. There's no denying that. That's why I gave up. I want to be around to see my daughter grow up, get married etc. But until the government make it illegal, smokers should have the right to light up when and where they want. If passive smoking is that bad then smoking hould be made illegal. The only reason the government won't is because of the massive revenue they receive from taxes on tobacco.

Smoking is bad for you. There's no denying that. That's why I gave up. I want to be around to see my daughter grow up, get married etc. But until the government make it illegal, smokers should have the right to light up when and where they want. If passive smoking is that bad then smoking hould be made illegal. The only reason the government won't is because of the massive revenue they receive from taxes on tobacco.

Yes Tony, but this way all the die hard (pardon the pun) smokers will continue to puff themselves to death and the government will cash in on the taxes! Those who stop smoking, (probably not many as no one likes to be told to stop doing anything) will be offset by the number of people now going out for a pint who didn't before the ban! Well, so the government probably thinks anyway.

In reality, I would imagine a lot of smaller local pubs will close down as the regulars can't have a crafty smoke and a pint in their favourite place...:rolleyes:

H.

If passive smoking is that bad then smoking hould be made illegal.
True that.

They should just have done with it and make smoking illegal.

I smoke. I wish I didn't, but I do. I've tried to give up loads of times.

One good thing I can think of about the ban:

The pub I go to on a Saturday night has already made like 80% of the place non-smoking. So it's like a ghost town in the massive no-smoking area and absolutely packed in the smoking area. You honestly cannot get a seat. I suppose at least that problem will stop in July.

I heard on the radio that in the year after the smoking ban in Ireland the government made about a billion Euro less in tax from smoking product compared to the previous year.

What is the UK population? About ten times the size of Ireland's? I wonder what they'll raise the tax on to compensate.

I think its great hate going out then having all my stuff stinking when I come home, but does get you thinking how they are going to make all the money back! Take it thats gonna mean more pants down for motorists :spank: :rolleyes:

Yes-or you could go somewhere thats no smoking-and stop wingeing....

I don't agree with the 1 billion less in Ireland for tax, they might have lost tobacoo revenue, but I'm sure it will be the case that this loss will be offset by people not being so well and staying in hosiptal. Also the great thing about giving up is I final have found away of not giving those bas---d tax people less of my money:d Also I was in Ireland last November, and every pub we went to was packed, might not be the same in the smaller towns though

Well I'm looking forward to the ban.

Smokers always had the choice whether they smoked or not.

My only choice was to suck it up or leave.

Now the smokers dont have the choice either so were all equal again....:cool:

Well i've smoked for many years. Tried giving up a few times, the last was on the 1st Jan this year, gave up for 3 months, and then unfortunately started again. This ban is coming whether anyone likes it or not, and personally, sod it, i know myself how much it stinks if i havent had one for a while and someone walks past me who just has, not nice! I know many smokers have said this, but i plan on finishing the packet i have today, and then its back on patches for me tomorrow. Why wait until the ban starts, get a head start on everyone else i say....

Smoking related diseases are placing a huge burden on our struggling health system and diverting money from areas where it is desperately needed.

Personally, I wont go out with a guy that smokes - kissing someone who smells and tastes (not that I go around licking ashtrays ;) ) is revolting. Smoking also causes premature aging of the skin and can put years onto a person, not to mention shorten life.

I lost my grandfather from a smoking related disease when he was still young. I miss him like mad, he was my favourite grandpa and I know we would have been fantastic friends as we were very close, if he had lived :(

You lot who smoke and have children, think about your kids - would they want you to be taken from them before your time?? I'm trying not to be emotive but think outside of your own needs and think of your family.

Linda

x

You lot who smoke and have children, think about your kids - would they want you to be taken from them before your time?? I'm trying not to be emotive but think outside of your own needs and think of your family.

I could say much the same about you driving that bleedin great sports car though. :)

Smoking related diseases are placing a huge burden on our struggling health system and diverting money from areas where it is desperately needed.

Personally, I wont go out with a guy that smokes - kissing someone who smells and tastes (not that I go around licking ashtrays ;) ) is revolting. Smoking also causes premature aging of the skin and can put years onto a person, not to mention shorten life.

I lost my grandfather from a smoking related disease when he was still young. I miss him like mad, he was my favourite grandpa and I know we would have been fantastic friends as we were very close, if he had lived :(

Linda

x

Although I agree with a lot of what you say, to say that "smoking related diseases are placing a huge burden on our struggling health system" is simply not true.

Just done a quick search on google. Smoking related illnesses cost the NHS somewhere between 1.5 and 1.7 billion per year. Tax revenue from tobacco products is 10.5 billion per year!

Although I agree with a lot of what you say, to say that "smoking related diseases are placing a huge burden on our struggling health system" is simply not true.

Just done a quick search on google. Smoking related illnesses cost the NHS somewhere between 1.5 and 1.7 billion per year. Tax revenue from tobacco products is 10.5 billion per year!

That statistic isn't going to make me feel a whole lot better should I not be able to get a bed due to the hospitals being full of people with smoking related illneses :(

Linda

x

Us smokers pay for your NHS it's all the fat people that are crippling it. So lets ban fat people.:D

My dad died when he was 63 and had been seriously ill for years beforehand after sufering several strokes. All this was due to him smoking.

Watching him suffer as he did, losing him so young, seeing my sons deprived of a Grampa and my Mother deprived of a husband hurt like you would not believe. I would not want to wish that on anyone and so the argument of the smoker paying X amount of money into the NHS pales into insignificance when you look at the after effect to family life.

Thats awful CJ, I feel for you.

I find it puzzling that out of all the people over the years I've asked about why they smoke and if they enjoy it, none have been able to give me a definite reason fow why they smoke, they usualy say 'I don't know really, its just a habit I guess' or 'picked it up from friends'. As for enjoying it, I've not heard anyone say I LOVE smoking, its GREAT! More often I get ' I've tried to give it up before/several times but I can't!'

I would never tell anyone to not smoke, we should be free to make our own decisions, I agree entirely on that, but I still can't understand why people smoke in the first place! A bunch of rolled up leaves smoldering in the corner of your mouth...:blink:

L

If you dislike the july 1st ban... your going to LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURV this one :D

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=16257

But, it does contain a very good quote for both arguments:

'In this country, we're libertarians, we like to give people freedoms, but if you are distracted unfortunately your freedom to do these things can affect other people's lives,'