The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Alloy wheel lacquer

Ian C

Folks,

As all the lacquer under the bolts on my split rims is cracked, I want the old lacquer off and new stuff put on. If I take the rims apart myself, can I do this myself as well? What would get the old lacquer off and what sort of new lacquer do I need to put on and is it in aerosol-can-from-Halfords form?

-Ian

Originally posted by Ian C

Folks,

As all the lacquer under the bolts on my split rims is cracked, I want the old lacquer off and new stuff put on. If I take the rims apart myself, can I do this myself as well? What would get the old lacquer off and what sort of new lacquer do I need to put on and is it in aerosol-can-from-Halfords form?

-Ian

Dont even bother dude , it will last minutes , its not really laquer on wheels its a clear powder coating !!!

Dude:flame Dev

Oh, bugger. OK, you are an expert on such matters, can you advise on what I should get done? Should the clear powder coating go on after the wheel has been reassembled to avoid cracking around the bolts, or did the dipstick who refurbed them last time use in fact clear lacquer and that's why it's shafted now?

I know of a place that will do the powder coating, but they will want the wheel in bits to get the old crap off and then I'll have to tighten up the bolts on the new coating...

-Ian

If he's talking about the place I told him of then they use both dry (powdercoat) and wet clear finishes. It depends on the kind of finish you want on your wheels. Some use a powdre base with wet top coats, some are powder through and through.

The problem with Ian's wheels as as I see it is that the bolt washer face sits on the laquered surface. I'm not sure whether even powedercoating would stand up to the direct loading under the washer without cracking.

Were they definately laquered before. Sure they weren't just bare metal?

Yeah, it's the same place. I'm looking at their website and they do loads of wheel stuff, I'm reassured by what I've seen so far that they will be getting the job. I've seen a coating I like already and they even recommend the clear powdercoat overlay for longevity so I guess they do it :) I'm gonna ask them about the bolting issue. I'm starting to think that the fuckwit who did it last time used spray-on lacquer and tightened the bolts up to 100ft/lbs...

They deffo weren't bare metal before as the lacquer was coming up before the botched refurb.

-Ian

Have you got a close up pic of the problem area Ian?

A few people I've spoke to seem to think powder coating is "Old Tech" nowadays especially for things like bike frames, car sub frames etc. However, even if I had my alloys etch primed and sprayed I'd want a clear powder coat as the final finish for longevity.

I think one possible problem area is the quality of the finish when clear powdercoat is applied over a highly polished outer rim, like mine. I think the surface can dull right down if not totally spot on.

I'm considering doing a full split rim refurb over the winter months, but would like to get over any powdercoat/assembly issues and confirm whether the nuts and bolts (well bolts) are fit for reuse. (At the moment I have no idea what the specified torque and the yield strength are for my bolts). I'll probably just try to track down some replacements before I do anything.

I don’t think anyone will warranty the finish on clear coats as eventually the weather will get in through chips or bolts and wreck them far more quickly than coloured rims.

my Cossie rims have been uncovered metal for years and come up like new with a bit of elbow grease, even after salt in winter. Better to have polished rims and just keep on top them. JMHO

The powdercoat people reckon that the coating will splinter whe the split rim bolts are done up :mad: This is pissing me off now, it cannot be this hard to get my outer rim sections cleaned up, it's not like I'm the only person on the planet with 3 piece alloys. If I ask an engineering shop to sandblast the rim section and polish it, would that do?! Can I get them anodised or something?

-Ian