The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car won't start - Wet??

JamesArup

Hmmmm,

I've just washed my car, and now it won't start :eek: . It turns over, but it just sounds really 'ill'. It doesn't sound as if it is anywhere near to catching and starting!! Is there a known problem with Supras after they get wet? What could have got wet that is causing this?

In the past, after washing the car, I've started it up and seen a red warning triangle on the dash when the handbrake is on ... but that normally goes after 5 mins or so!!

(1 hour later) ........ Okay ....... I just tried the car again, and it started .... JUST!! It coughed and spluttered and finally started. Although it was accompanied by a HUGE cloud of smoke from the exhaust. I just took it for a quick drive and it felt ok ... I'm just worried that this is a sign of something more sinister?

Cheers, J :cool:

I just squirt it with a hose, wash with Zymol or something, squirt with water again, shammy and polish .... Job done!!

It does seem a bit strange as surely people with TRD bonnets etc get a load of water in there?

How do I do engine diagnostics then :music: :music: ?

Cheers, J :thumbs:

Last week I cleverly left the passenger side window open all night. It rained and the passenger seat and dash was pissed wet through. Anyway - When I came to start the car it sounded ILL! It shook like the exhaust was going to come off or something and the engine was also making a knocking sound. I let it run for a while and once it had warmed up it was fine, and has been fine since.

I think it is weird that this happened, It must be associated with the window being left open as this was the only factor that had changed!! Its all ok now though. supras must hate water!

Originally posted by Red

Last week I cleverly left the passenger side window open all night. It rained and the passenger seat and dash was pissed wet through. Anyway - When I came to start the car it sounded ILL! It shook like the exhaust was going to come off or something and the engine was also making a knocking sound. I let it run for a while and once it had warmed up it was fine, and has been fine since.

I think it is weird that this happened, It must be associated with the window being left open as this was the only factor that had changed!! Its all ok now though. supras must hate water!

I drove mine through 3ft of water in the floods by me the other week, no probs at all. It was over the headlights, I can't imagine a wash from the hose being anywhere NEAR as much as that.

Check all your electrics cables off the main loom and just see if you can see anything unprotected from the elements.

BTW - I had removed my undertray as well prior to my swimming lesson in the supe so whilst I wouldn't recommend trying anything similar, it gives a guide as to what it should handle.

My experience from Land Rovers says the bow wave effect means a suprising amount of the engine stays dry in such circumstances (unlike the navigator :mad: ) My money is on either the igniter pack getting it's connections wet, as it's the most exposed of the critical engine systems, or the plug wells getting standing water in them. The hose water comes from the top, road water comes from underneath... Is a vented bonnet in the picture?

-Ian

Originally posted by Red

Some of the water could have got to the ECU area in the passenger footwell:eek:

Originally posted by Ian C

My experience from Land Rovers says the bow wave effect means a suprising amount of the engine stays dry in such circumstances (unlike the navigator :mad: ) My money is on either the igniter pack getting it's connections wet, as it's the most exposed of the critical engine systems, or the plug wells getting standing water in them. The hose water comes from the top, road water comes from underneath... Is a vented bonnet in the picture?

-Ian

Next time you wash the car stick a plastic bag over the igniter pack and connections.

Getting water in the plug wells is pretty hard to do but no car likes that.

Cheers for all the help guys!

The car started fine this morning ... no probs at all :thumbs: :thumbs:

BUT ...... My stereo now has no power at all :eek: . The little red power indicator light doesn't come on, and I can get the motorised screen to come out. There is clearly some kind of screwy electrical problem going on after 'something' got wet in there!!

Grrrrrr :mad:

Cheers, J :cool:

Originally posted by stealthhosts

I drove mine through 3ft of water in the floods by me the other week, no probs at all. It was over the headlights, I can't imagine a wash from the hose being anywhere NEAR as much as that.

Check all your electrics cables off the main loom and just see if you can see anything unprotected from the elements.

BTW - I had removed my undertray as well prior to my swimming lesson in the supe so whilst I wouldn't recommend trying anything similar, it gives a guide as to what it should handle.

You were lucky it didn't get in the air intake then chap cos that would have been mucho expensive!!! That said you probably have the james bond MOD done to your car :p

Stereo will be a fuse somewhere if no power is getting to that. Theres two fuseboxes on the supe. 1 Under the bonnet and one in the drivers footwell.

Actually .... now that you mention it. I usually have my little home-made airbox on the car, which covers the filter up (as seen HERE). But I took this off recently to respray it, and I haven't put it back on yet! Maybe some water has landed on the filter element, and then got sucked in when I started the car up :eek: :eek: . Still doesn't explain why my radio died though!!

There is a rubber seal around the bonnet edge you really shouldn't get water entering the underbonnet area at all so strange lookin contraption or no it shouldn't be in there. Check under the carpets in the two footwells to see if it wet under there. If water is getting into the cabin (dodgy windscreen seal maybe) it could be running down onto the fusebox in the drivers well and the engine ECU in the passenger footwell. Direct flow water often finds it way in places that rainfall doesn't.

Also the stereo fuse poppin might just be one of those red herrings that cars like to chuck at ya when you are having problems allready.

Originally posted by dangerous brain

There is a rubber seal around the bonnet edge you really shouldn't get water entering the underbonnet area at all so strange lookin contraption or no it shouldn't be in there.

Rubber seal you say!! Hmmmm! Not sure I have that? I can see the airfilter through the gap in the side of the bonnet (see attached pic) - is that where the rubber seal should be? I've always thought that was a bit wierd that there was such a big, uncovered gap there!!

bn_dsc09504.jpg

Hmmm, curses ..... doesn't look like I have those. I just took a quick picture (attached) you can clearly see into the engine bay through the gap .... is that where you have the rubber?

I do have the big bit of rubber at the top of the engine bay though, under the windscreen wipers.

bonnet_gap.jpg

I don't have rubber down the sides of the bonnet, have you checked for water leaking into the passenger side underbonnet fuse holder? I'm sure that if water got into there it would give you lots of problems, but I'm not sure that the radio one is under there. I only think that as mine gets a covering in water everytime I wash the motor.

Ben..

Crap dood thats what I have just spoken lol. I also have gap through there. You know I genuinely thought that was sealed. I never seem to have water in the engine bay though. The stereo fuse is inside the car in the drivers footwells fuse box. There is a little cover on it that pops off with two lugs

The inside of the cover looks like THIS You will also notice that ecu ig ignition and ecu-b are all in that box. perhaps if water is somehow getting in there then you may have found your problem.

Well, aint that the darndest thang :eek: :eek:

Plucked out the 'ST' fuse ... all fine, put it back in.

Plucked out the 'Rad 2' fuse (figured it could mean 'Radio') ... all fine, put it back in.

Popped the bonnet

Went to the fuses on the passenger side under the bonnet,

Plucked out the 'Rad 1' fuse ... all fine, put it back in. Looked in the car, radio flashing ... working again! WTF??

Must be a loose connection on that fuse or something as all I did was take it out and shove it back in! Bizarre - Damn those electrical gremlins!

All sorted now though .. cheers for all the help :thumbs: :thumbs:

J :cool:

Originally posted by JamesArup

Hmmm, curses ..... doesn't look like I have those. I just took a quick picture (attached) you can clearly see into the engine bay through the gap .... is that where you have the rubber?

You should definitely have a rubber strip there mate. Looks like whoever fitted the front bumper didn't fit it for some reason.