The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fastest accelarating car...ever!

ads274

The driver (Sammy Miller) holds the all time fastest 1/4 mile run at...ready?...3.58 seconds! At a speed of 386 mph. I dont know of any footage of this run but i have found a video of him doing an 1/8 mile run (:search: ) in 1.7 seconds.

Hang on, how come he averaged a higher speed in the 1/8 (264mph) than he did in the 1/4 mile (251mph)? He must have been coasting from the 1/8 mile point on his 1/4 mile runs.

:looney:

Hang on, how come he averaged a higher speed in the 1/8 (264mph) than he did in the 1/4 mile (251mph)? He must have been coasting from the 1/8 mile point on his 1/4 mile runs.

:looney:

I did think of this. Doing an 1/8 mile in 1.7 seconds would mean doing the 1/4 in ~3.4 (if he slowed down in proportion with the accelaration) therefore if he carried on accelarating to the 1/4 then surely this would have smashed the record :blink: And i agree with the guy who mentioned the corner at the end, risky! It looks like Zandvoort in holland to me, i think he is going the opposite way to race cars along the main straight.

Edit: Plus, i'm not sure, but he might even be pulling the parachutes just before the finish line? Hard to make out which line marks the finish but if its the last one then this may be the case.

I expect a lot of you have clicked this one as its top of the list when you watch the other vid, but for those who haven't this is sammy trying to beat the record at santa pod in a different rocket car. This clip is quite interesting as you hear him talking about the run as well.

I recall seeing a documentary about early rocket tests (in the 50s) investigating safety where the engineers sat in pods that were propelled on a rail far faster than the cars mentioned. The insane drivers suffered badly as a result on the forces as well as bleeding their skin was covered in peppered type rash caused by dust particles hitting them as a result of the acceleration. Ouch.

.... drivers suffered badly as a result on the forces as well as bleeding their skin was covered in peppered type rash caused by dust particles hitting them as a result of the acceleration. Ouch.

Kind of BPU+++ in SF terms then:d