The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fastest accelarating car...ever!

ads274

Well i havent heard of a faster one anyway! This was a rocket powered dragster from the 80's.

Here are some interesting facts:

0-60 - 0.2 seconds

0-100 - 0.3 seconds

The driver (Sammy Miller) holds the all time fastest 1/4 mile run at...ready?...3.58 seconds! At a speed of 386 mph. I dont know of any footage of this run but i have found a video of him doing an 1/8 mile run (:search: ) in 1.7 seconds.

P.S. Sorry if this is a repost but i did search :)

Edit: Forgot to say that the name of the car, as Bob mentioned, is Vanishing Point

Another interesting fact is that the car does 120 gallons to the mile :D

Guest Phillw454

Bit quick then!!!!

Yeah i read that after most runs, he bleads from his ears! Not a good thing but worth it:)

Interesting. I did a little reading and found that the fastest ¼ mile record is actually held by a woman.

Apparently Kitty O'Neil did 3.22 seconds at 396 MPH back in 1977!

0 to 330mph and back to 0mph in 20seconds isn't too shabby either!

I recall a Discovery program on her some years ago. Since they banned the really dangerous fuels pure (off track) drag racing times have not reached those recorded 30 years ago. Track times have obviously been improving by 1000th's of a second at a go over the last 30 years but pure acceleration records off-track have declined. Possibly due to health and safety and to avoid the drivers brains getting mashed by the gforce (bleeding from the ears and eyes).

Interesting. I did a little reading and found that the fastest ¼ mile record is actually held by a woman.

Apparently Kitty O'Neil did 3.22 seconds at 396 MPH back in 1977!

0 to 330mph and back to 0mph in 20seconds isn't too shabby either!

I think that was done in a desert or salt plain or something like that. Apparently the friction of the material used on a proper drag strip is much higher than that or a desert or similar, therefore i believe they are not classed in the same category.

I just cant imagine what going from 0-400 mph in 3 seconds feels like!

Seen him before a musclecar driving friend of mine showed me his footage.

They banned rocket cars in the US first I think so he came over here where they were still legal IIRC.

The problem with them was that they wouldn't stop until the fuel had all burnt off or something. So you had to make sure that you had the right amount of fuel in. I am sure he told me too that he used to coast over the line because of this. :blink:

I just cant imagine what going from 0-400 mph in 3 seconds feels like!

Imagine having an elephant sitting on your chest, That is probably what it feels like. And an elephant joke Whats got two grey legs and two brown legs?..............An elephant with the runs :)

Well i havent heard of a faster one anyway! This was a rocket powered dragster from the 80's.

Here are some interesting facts:

0-60 - 0.2 seconds

0-100 - 0.3 seconds

bollox to that, I bet there are single supras in the States that can beat it:eyebrows: