The mkiv Supra Owners Club

WHat makes you "HARD" (as in fighting not willies!!)

suprattgaz

Asked my mate this last night as he was working on the door at a pub. Is someone hard who knows how to handle themselves but isn't violent (like knowing a martial art), or someone who doesn't know how to fight properly but is a complete nut case and will just keep on fighting till the end?!?!?!

What defines being HARD?

walking away from a fight situation makes you hard, mainly cause your ego gets in the way.

ive been training in martial arts for about 10 years now, Lau Gar kung fu, wing chun, krav maga, karate. aint had to fight on the street since training, guess you get to know when a situation is about to kick off, or you give off an air of confidence that such that people dont bother you, who knows.

if all things are equal then i would have to say that the person that fights to the end is hard (spirit, will, whatever you want to call it)

Yeah, I too train in Ju Jitsu, going for balck belt in 2 months[sAD][/sAD]. I too have never had to use it, but I was just wondering on other people thoughts about it. I just think it is a funny thing, this trying to be big and hard?! I mean I am 6'4" and obviously can handle myself if needed, but wouldn't class myself as "hard"?!

iv been doin karate and boxing for my regiment for years and one thing i have leanrt is self control.walking away is definately the harder then staying there to fight,but all it takes in one lucky punch,so you really cant say what makes someone hard

...or one unlucky punch. I usually walk away, because I do not want to kill opponent by hitting him accidentially (throat etc.)

I live in Wigan. I have a skin head!!

Based on the above I must be as hard as Chinese Algebra..........:D

I class "hard" people who have the ability to take blows and punishment, but still continue to fight. I had a mate called Rowey, he was the hardest lad I have ever encountered. He let one guy hit him 5 times without retaliation and then said "Are those your best??"

The guy just apologised and didn't see the point in hitting him again! He wasn't particularly big or strong but would never be beaten and tended to out last people in the scraps I saw him get into.

Weird!

H.

Guest Geneb

walking away is hard but tbh. it depends on how far your prepared to go with it. im a big softy and will always try to walk but threaten my own and i'll dowse ya in petrol and lite you up like a candle. all depends on the situation really.

and tbh what a silly question lol:)

Yeah, I too train in Ju Jitsu, going for balck belt in 2 months[sAD][/sAD]. I too have never had to use it, but I was just wondering on other people thoughts about it. I just think it is a funny thing, this trying to be big and hard?! I mean I am 6'4" and obviously can handle myself if needed, but wouldn't class myself as "hard"?!

Good luck on doing your black belt mate,Im a martail arts instructor and im working towards my 3rd Dan in taekwondo (ITF) only ever used it once but did not last long..he ran at me with his fists so i side kicked him in the ribs before he hit me and he was down...was not proud of it.Thats the only time in 10 years of training...But i dnt think im hard at all, i have met some fantastic ppl with great fighting skills...to me im just a small fish in the sea

few old pics of me doing some kicks

I know some guys that I consider to be proper hard. Army/Ex-army guys and experienced pub scrappers are, IMO, much more use in a real life fight than a martial arts expert or boxer.

I used to box, years ago like, and it gets you fit and teaches you to survive when hurt but it's not all that much use in a real fight.

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like the martial arts experts always walk away. It's like they can only do it in class in their white jimmy-jams. When it kicks off for real they don't usually want to know. (IME)

I'm no hard man myself, in fact I've had my nose broken four times and had a couple of good pastings but I won't stand by and see something wrong happen; if it's necessary I'll fight pretty much anyone.

What really scares me is the idiots that carry knives or kick people in the head when they're out of it anyway. There's nothing 'hard' about that kinda stuff at all.

What really scares me is the idiots that carry knives or kick people in the head when they're out of it anyway. There's nothing 'hard' about that kinda stuff at all.

As usual Jake hits the nail on the head!!;)

This is the thing that worries me the most. I have had my fair share of altercations when I was younger and also during my time in the fuzz. I have learned a lot and I would say that I know how to handle myself if "walking away" doesn't work, but it's the cowards who are hard when their mates are about or carry weapons that frighten me the most.

I have always faught with a sense of honour and used self defence techniques to subdue attackers but I wonder if this need to fight on your own and don't use knives, bottles etc will cost me dear one of these days!!:blink:

I do find that as I get older and wiser I worry that I have more to lose these days with family etc and to be honest I could do without either being murdered or arrested....:rolleyes:

H.

Not an easy one to define. As mentioned above, in a bare-knuckle fight, all it needs is a lucky punch.

Hard is much more calcuable back in school days, where a scrap had the ability to last several minutes. It is the last time most people get in to a real fight, and they fail to realise how things change as you get older/bigger/stronger.

Usually, with two average adult males, the winner of the fight is the one who lands the first good punch at their opponents head. The 'Hard' people, and experienced pub scrappers etc, usually appreciate this and simply hit first.

And from that comes my advice (if walking away is not an option): If your likely to get hit, hit first. You will be surprised what an average adult male can do without gloves.

I know some guys that I consider to be proper hard. Army/Ex-army guys and experienced pub scrappers are, IMO, much more use in a real life fight than a martial arts expert or boxer.

I used to box, years ago like, and it gets you fit and teaches you to survive when hurt but it's not all that much use in a real fight.

Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like the martial arts experts always walk away. It's like they can only do it in class in their white jimmy-jams. When it kicks off for real they don't usually want to know. (IME)

I'm no hard man myself, in fact I've had my nose broken four times and had a couple of good pastings but I won't stand by and see something wrong happen; if it's necessary I'll fight pretty much anyone.

I agree with all that...what i genrally do is mouth off and then run like fcuk before they can get me.:p

Though i remember a road rage incident i got involved in i was so pissed off with this bloke i stopped in the middle of the road got out of my car with such anger (and im only small and weedy) approached the car causing the problem and I'd completely lost it with him, i realised he was a big fella with his G/F in the car and was expecting him to get out and give me a good kicking..but he shyly apologised and in all honesty I was really shocked...id say he was a hard man, for someone with the brawn against a weed like me to resist giving me a kicking, I didn't think he was less of a man..(i kind of secretly was glad i was not beaten up lol) but at the same time we both left smiling...and it didn't ruin our day! (soz rant mode off lol)

Yep its not worth confrontation these days what with people carrying Knives guns or beer glasses, though sometimes having a scar on ya face from a beer glass in the right place can sometimes appear attractive to the girls!!!! (lol)

Guest Geneb

i remember when i was younger me and my mates up north used to have proper fights down the rec when we couldn't afford to go to the pub, even had my head used as a football after my mate head butted me, wouldn't have been so bad if the dick hadn't had doc martins on.

kept me awake all night with a headache, sayin that did knock him out with an accy nori and throw the tosser off the waterfall a few weeks later

crazy days wouldn't even dream of acting like that now, bloody insane and anyone off us could have been killed.:(

now i have a little un i always ignore dicks, just got too much too lose, if u fight em you may get stabbed ,hit em too hard and they die u do time and never see your kid. amazing how kids change your outlook:)

stick to the controlled violence confrontations, i.e. one where you can push your limits and the worst thing that could happen is you get knocked out. Have that happen in the street and you have to rely on other people to look after you, no thanks, my mate's aren't ones for fighting so wouldn't fancy them stepping in to help me out.

As for a definition of hard, fishermen could be hard, facing the winds, rain and cold everyday. Someone emotionally can be hard, they may not show you any. Fighting wise, I'd say can take a hell of a lot of punishment and still dish it out with power and purpose.

Walking away from a fight doesn't make you hard, it makes you clever, why fight if you don't have to? I'd rather someone call me a prick and I go to a different bar then have it out and have his mate bottle/stab me from behind etc. Life's too precious to let your ego get in the way. Let the thugs slug themselves to death against each other, but mess with the family and you'll going to get a can of whop arse unleased:eyebrows:

now i have a little un i always ignore dicks, just got too much too lose, if u fight em you may get stabbed ,hit em too hard and they die u do time and never see your kid. amazing how kids change your outlook:)

They certainly do change your decision making Andy!

I have had two incidents in the last couple of years and on both occasions a pissed guy has had a go!:rolleyes: The last was in December where a scouser accused me of nicking his taxi and tried to pull me out of the cab. In a moment of madness I just hit him in the nose as hard as I could. The taxi driver drove off during the commotion and the door of the cab hit the guy too! He hit the deck and then I was off and away rolling around in the rear of a taxi. The driver said I was perfectly in order but it didn't feel that way at the time.

I didn't post anything up on here at the time as I was worried that I could be implicated if he was seriously hurt. The fact that the guy attacked me would not have been considered in the eyes of the law.

For a week or so I was bricking it tbh!!:innocent:

Like you said Andy. It that guy would have died, I would now be looking at a stretch in jail all for minding my own business and trying to get home.......:blink:

H.

Damn this is an awkward question. I think you can only find out who is actually hard in a fight if they actually fight. Now just winning a fight does not make you hard IMO. If for example a smallish 10 stone person fought a 6'6" 18 stone boxer, I would say that most of the time the big man would win (unless small guy is extremely compitent at fighting). But if small guy fought well against the big man, did not give up and managed to put up a decent fight before losing I would say that he is quite hard.

You obviously can be a hard man/woman if you walk away but this act does not make you hard, it makes you smart. The people that I worry about are not necissarily hard but fight as if there is nothing to lose (i.e nutcases). These people will do anything to win and are relentless.

Now even worse than the nutcase is a hard nutcase. These people display all of the above characteristics and will probably cause somebody a great deal of harm.

As a young person I scrapped quite a bit but only if there was no alternative, i.e if I am being hit or if I was defending someone else (I am a very placid person by nature, make sure you read that tight :) ). But as soon as I turned 18 I began to think about the consequences and now that I am a dad I would do anything to avoid confrontation as there is so much to lose. Fortunately I rarely go out anymore so the chances of me getting into trouble are minimal now.

Right my head hurts now as I that took me ages :)