The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Crash yesterday near my house

dibbleyuk

Thing is that road is a national speed limit road and very straight so its like trying to cross the A12 or something stupid idiot!

I reckon it was the person crossing the roads fault no one elses i think somit like that could kill that old women just the shock!

I reckon it was the person crossing the roads fault no1 elses i think somit like that could kill that old women just the shock!

If you were a new member I'd be taking the p*ss out of you for writing like a chav about now.

Using the "at work" excuse again I guess?

You're all beginning to sound like the people who, when they see a car like a Supra that's had an accident, say 'Ooh - they must have been at fault because they were driving a fast car'.

The driver was in her 80's - who elses fault could it have been?

:rolleyes:

:amen: Talk about hypocrisy! Unless the guy was sitting in the middle of the road, chances are he ran out infront of the traffic to try and get across.

What is with all the fossil bashing??

Did the old woman hit the padestrian on a crossing or in a general spot. I reckon if you are crossing a road, it is your responsiblity not to get killed!!:rolleyes:

If you are on a zebra crossing, that is a different matter!

H.

Roads are for cars and pavements for pedestrians.

If there are other ways to get across then this is the pedestrians fault as they should not have been in the road, if for what ever reason they decide to take that route then they should look and look again.

If the eldery driver isnt dead already the shock of some idiot stepping out in front of her will ruin what little life she has left.

Not the first one to die on that spot i'm afraid to say

Since this seems to be an accident spot, I'm sure they'll put a speed camera up there soon...

Although if this lady is anything like the 80 year olds I've met driving, I'll bet she wasn't breaking the limit... so I think does go to show that the cameras aren't the magnificent live savers that we are plied to believe they are... ;)

Guest Milly

if you see a pedestrian on the side of the road, who is facing the opposite side of the road, you presume that they want to cross. instant hazzard ahead so you should take action, ie, make a decision to slow or make the decision that maybe hes just checking out the fit blonde on the opposite side of the road, and will carry on his way. some people just dont seem to pay attention when they're driving anymore

if you see a pedestrian on the side of the road, who is facing the opposite side of the road, you presume that they want to cross. instant hazard ahead so you should take action, ie, make a decision to slow or make the decision that maybe hes just checking out the fit blonde on the opposite side of the road, and will carry on his way. some people just dont seem to pay attention when they're driving anymore

Sorry Milly I can't agree with you there! At some point pedestrians must take responsbility for their actions. I have been driving 15 years and done over 300K miles, but I have enough to think about with other vehicles nevermind pedestrians with a death wish.

I was unlucky enough to knock somone down about 5 years ago. I was only doing about 25 in second gear after setting off from a friends house. A young lad about 16 ran out in front of me after a football. I had seen the ball but didn't break as I expected the lad to stop and the ball roll pastg the car. He stupidly then tried to stop the ball before it got to me and stumbled in front of the car. He ended up on my bonnet and hit the ground with a resounding thud!

My conscience is clear that there is absolutely nothing I could have done to stop it! :innocent:

If I am in a tight street with cars parked either side I will slow down as I worry about kids running out but someone who is in their teens or older should know better!

H.

Guest Milly
I had seen the ball but didn't break

ive only been driving for six, and if anything like that happens regardless of speed i slow down, thats what i was taught when i learned to drive!

ive only been driving for six, and if anything like that happens regardless of speed i slow down, thats what i was taught when i learned to drive!

So you're on a dual carriageway that's a very busy, major road and you see a pedestrian at thw side of the road. He hasn't started to cross yet - what do you do? Get slower and slower as you approach him until you're 6 feet away and finally stop???

Of course you don't. You slow down, sure. But if you're still doing 45mph (which is pretty damn slow for a road like this) and he steps off the pavement at the very last second, like when you're 5 yards away, then you're going to hit him, and hit him hard. Looks like this chap hit his head right through the screen of the car too. Even at 45, that's pretty likely to kill him.

Let's turn it around, Milly - if you're a pedestrian and you see a really busy, fast road with an underpass, what's your preference of how to get across? If it's to cross the road, then perhaps natural selection will carry on as it has always done.

Apart form all this, none of us are in possession of all the facts about what happened. I don't know WHO was to fault - it really doeesn't concern me. But what I was trying to say was that we shouldn't jump to conclusions just because the driver was 80, just as we hate it when we see the driver of a fast car accused of being in the wrong just because of the car he/she was driving.

Sorry Milly but is difficult to explain the full situation. I had seen the ball and the lad but expected the ball to run past my car and the lad to stop (as I would have done if palying in the street). It is a quiet street with two cul de sacs off it!

The lad admitted it was his fault but in the eyes of the law I am not so sure!! The minute you hit a pedestrian you are made to feel it is your fault as the driver. I am merely saying that I don't feel that pedestrians are free from blame!

H.

So you're on a dual carriageway that's a very busy, major road and you see a pedestrian at thw side of the road. He hasn't started to cross yet - what do you do? Get slower and slower as you approach him until you're 6 feet away and finally stop???

Of course you don't. You slow down, sure. But if you're still doing 45mph (which is pretty damn slow for a road like this) and he steps off the pavement at the very last second, like when you're 5 yards away, then you're going to hit him, and hit him hard. Looks like this chap hit his head right through the screen of the car too. Even at 45, that's pretty likely to kill him.

Let's turn it around, Milly - if you're a pedestrian and you see a really busy, fast road with an underpass, what's your preference of how to get across? If it's to cross the road, then perhaps natural selection will carry on as it has always done.

Apart form all this, none of us are in possession of all the facts about what happened. I don't know WHO was to fault - it really doeesn't concern me. But what I was trying to say was that we shouldn't jump to conclusions just because the driver was 80, just as we hate it when we see the driver of a fast car accused of being in the wrong just because of the car he/she was driving.

Well put,completely agree.Im sure if it were Millys relation driving,he may have a different viewpoint?

I've always thought that padestrians should take a walking test :rolleyes:

Also, drivers should be better educated with regards to hazard perception and forward planning.

Its a sad fact that most drivers look as far as the end of their bonnet and react to what they see there. I'll call these 'reacrive' drivers. You can spot them a mile off with their vacant look, straight ahead stare and constant jabbing on the brake pedal because they've seen something at the end of their bonnet that they should have reacted to ages ago. The worst ones wear hats..... honest :Pling: Just watch a driver with a hat on, you'll see what I mean :blink:

The other type is a 'proactive' driver. They see past the immediate vicinity of their vehicle and are looking ahead as far as the road goes into the distance. They check their mirrors regularly and are aware of exactly what is around them at all times. They plan ahead and make decisions well before things happen, avoiding the need to react last minute to potential situations on and to the side of the road.

Which one are you? I'd guess as we're all on here and have powerful cars and an interest in all things driving, most will be in the second category?

Taking an advanced driving course is a real eye opener though :D Do it if you have the chance.