The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Americanisms I'd like an explanation on..

Mike

What does 'bottom of the ninth' mean? and what does it mean when people say it metaphorically?

What is 'Softmore'?

What is 'valid dictorian'? spelling?

That's all for now.... I'm sure I can generate some more random US related questions later.. :)

What does 'bottom of the ninth' mean? and what does it mean when people say it metaphorically? - baseball term, last innings I think but I will be corrected

What is 'Softmore'? - sophomore is a name for one of the years in university but can't remember which one

What is 'valid dictorian'? spelling? - valadictorian is like getting the man of the match award for studying at uni

All IIRC of course

'bottom of the ninth' i believe is a baseball term meaning towards the end of the game or innings i think.

sophomore is your last year in high school or first at university or something like that. (after googling it seems it's your second university year)

basically i don't know any of them for sure but those are my guesses :D

From Wiki:

a metaphor is defined as an indirect comparison between two or more seemingly unrelated subjects that typically uses "is a" to join the first subjects for example: "The moon is a ghostly galleon".

In other words, by tagging it with "metaphorically" they can say some meaningless crap and pass themselves off as 'not being an idiot'.

From Wiki:

a metaphor is defined as an indirect comparison between two or more seemingly unrelated subjects that typically uses "is a" to join the first subjects for example: "The moon is a ghostly galleon".

In other words, by tagging it with "metaphorically" they can say some meaningless crap and pass themselves off as 'not being an idiot'.

Quite right - and if the word 'LIKE' is used it is no longer a metaphor, but a simile. (NOT A SMILIE!! :) )

e.g. "The moon is a like ghostly galleon".

Easy! :boxing: :D :p

Thanks... but you still haven't answered it really.. :rolleyes:

The 'bottom of the ninth' thing.. It's a baseball thing, but does it mean 'at the crucial moment' when people (using on TV) say it?

I can't think we're I heard it? possibly during an episode of Prison Break... which feels like a place where I live these days... :blink:

It just stuck with me...

Baseball has 9 innings. The top of the 9th is the start of the 9th innings - the bottom of the ninth is the end of the final innings - very close to the end of the game.

It just means that at that point there's very little time to change anything - if you're going to do something it'd better be fast and it'd better be something a bit special!

What does 'bottom of the ninth' mean? and what does it mean when people say it metaphorically?

What is 'Softmore'?

What is 'valid dictorian'? spelling?

That's all for now.... I'm sure I can generate some more random US related questions later.. :)

its the ninth inning of baseball when you are losing near the end of the game and havnt got long to win.

it is the the second year at uni,it goes freshman,sophomore then varsity

valid dictorian is the best student who gets a reward and certificate and does the final speech when they pass out of uni

and metaphorically speaking, is a way of saying something out of context ie: metaphorically speaking if i was to shot people in the street,how long would it be till the cops took me out?

and metaphorically speaking, is a way of saying something out of context ie: metaphorically speaking if i was to shot people in the street,how long would it be till the cops took me out?

sorry but that's actually hypothetically speaking (well I hope it is!)

a metaphor is an abstract comparison or representation, a figure of speech so to speak :)

I know what metaphorically speaking means! I meant when they say the phrase.... :rolleyes:

Jeeze! :D

lol

so bottom of the ninth must mean something equivalent to "you've had it" or "on the ropes"

not sure what a sophmore metaphor would mean, but you're not asking that, just the literal meaning

valid dictorian must mean "you're da man" or "top dog"

I guess, but we are talking American here, could mean anything lol