The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Scottish Members - Advice

Gord R

Hi Folks

Considering relocating to Scotland..its something iv wanted to do and Dad and the family are warming to the idea...

Have spent alot of time up the west coast.. Ardnamurchan , Mull , Islay and further north... but i think it may be a bit remoted for living there full time. So thinking the East Side may be a better option espcially as we are relocating the business as well. So want to be close to some decent road links. to aberdeen , Inverness , and down as far as Stirling/ Glasgow... but also want to be rural as we have always lived in a rural location..

is there anywhere that any memebers would suggests as nice spots to locate to?? I have seen a nice pad on the south side of Loch Ard.. but maybe a bit remote..

Btw the business is a Japanese and Euro performance car / parts supplier... hence the need to have decent road links.

Cheers

Gordon

The further north the better, from Caithness myself, can't go any further north than that. Seriously though, road links are fairly good now, ie I ordered a part from Envy one afternoon and had it the following morning at 9 o'clock (that is slightly unusual ,,lol). The road I would avoid is the A96 between Inverness and Aberdeen, it is just one long long crawler lane, anywhere else is ok

June, moving near Dumfries. If you fancy a pint I will Pm you once moved:)

yeah, good idea mate.

fingers crossed i might be able to make the DC museum meet depending on cash among other things :)

and Perthshire is probably the most scenic county in Scotland

:blink:

You do know that scotland extends past Pitlochry Ian? :D

yeah, good idea mate.

fingers crossed i might be able to make the DC museum meet depending on cash among other things :)

:blink:

You do know that scotland extends past Pitlochry Ian? :D

Looking to re arrange the meet at the DC museum but waiting until I have moved:)

Thanks for all the advice guys..been having a gander at property .. there is some really nice houses about.. found a very nice one at the bottom of Loch Ard.... thinking of selling a couple of our rental properties to speed things up!

Also after advice on the educational system up there.. im coming to the end of my AS Levels and my younger borther is about to start his GCSEs... so i guess now is the time to go.. how does it compare to England up there?

Also after advice on the educational system up there.. im coming to the end of my AS Levels and my younger borther is about to start his GCSEs... so i guess now is the time to go.. how does it compare to England up there?

Not trying to start a war or anything but Scottish education system widely regarded as being the best in the country. In what way would you you like a comparison?

Well really do they follow a simmilar pattern as England.. GCSEs then onto AS then A2?

Similar i think mate (although it's a few years since i did mine).

first two years are just school years, no qualifications gained. Third and fourth years are towards your Standard Grades (GCSE equivalent), then onto Higher Grade (A-Level equiv.) which takes a year per course and also Advanced Higher Grade.

There's also an 'intermediate' that seems to slot in between Standard Grade and Higher but i'm not 100% on that.

confusing, it is. i wouldn't worry about it though as it's broadly similar to England in how it works anyway :)

Try the east coast of Edinburgh which is the East Lothian district. Direct access to the A1 that leads to M8 and M9 and also the Forth Bridge. It is nice a rural but still within 15-30 miles from Edinburgh City Centre.

Education in Scotland is regarded as the best the the UK. Has some of the best Uni's aswell. The qulifications start with (as mentioned) Secondry school 1st year and 2nd year you study towards your prelims which depending on the childs results will then be able to choose subjects to study towards thier standard grades which they will sit when they are about to turn 16, those grades are from 1-7 1 = A and so on, 7 regarded as total failure. Then you study towards Highers which you study for 2 years till you are 18 those are A-F and are essential to get into Uni. If you do not have good enough grades on you're standard grades instead of highers you study modules.

Gord if your coming to squires next week we can have a chat about it, as am from east of Edinburgh.

Its a very similar system which you(and your brother) could slot in to very easily. I am a Research Officer with the Education Authority in the Highland Region, PM me your e-mail address when you want more info and I will send you any info you require

Blimey... thanks for all the advice and such quick replies guys..

Lots to take in.. i think a trip up is the best bet.

Mark...ill see what i can do about getting to the Meet , if not if you could pm a contact no over to me.. ill ring for a chat.. much appreciated.

Alan..ill pop my email address over to you now.

Thanks again guys.

p.s if there is anything you guys would like to see featured in the jap side of things.. do let me know.. it will be a complete relaunch for us.. and would be great to have your veiws

Yes I know that but you can study for more and leave school at 18 which is usually the norm as you stand a better chance to get a uni placement if you do school till your 18.

just clarifying that it takes a year for a higher as opposed to two years for an A-level isn't it?