The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Latest Petition - Govt Planning to Restrict use of Classic Cars

Soop Dogg

The government is looking into placing restrictions on the use of older cars. This could include cars as new as 10 years old and would include preventing them from driving in city centers etc.

The worst suggestions are that for some classic cars you would have to contact your council to notify them that you want to take your classic car out - this would have to be done well in advance of any trip and include a route etc. The council could refuse you permission totally or make alterations to your route for you to be able to take the car out at all.

Basically for some classics, they could only be taken out to go to shows etc. and even then maybe only a handful of times a year.

I can't beleive this government is even thinking about this!

PETITION

It's all to do with older cars polluting more.

I guess the most severe restrictions may start with 30 yr-old cars and older (or something like that), but they are considering it - it's a white paper.

I'm signing up on principal. Eventually they'll want to give us all speed limiters and the like and we won't even be able to do trackdays in peace.

if it is true, dont these people have more pressing things to be thinking about, our shat national health system, our schools that about to spit out a generation of doll supporters etc :rolleyes:

Any car over 10 years, i recon that would safely cover more than 50% of cars on the road, anything from R reg back!

Local councils would soon get pissed off with 50% of the countries motorists ringing them up every day planning their trip to work :eyebrows:

Added thought - it would ruin people on lower income even more, having to buy newer cars every few years. Most people who have older cars have them for one reason - they cant afford new ones. Doesnt change the fact they NEED a car.

Ha,

I'd like to see them do this, the morris and the midget will both be coming out for this... in fact the morris will be a daily driver for the father-in-law once I've finished the 1275 conversion. Just needs an exhaust now, the downpipe on it's own is just a little too loud..

Putting a conspiracy theory spin on it, I wonder if they are going to be making those cars harder to run because they haven't got any electronics to put those 'black' boxes in (and yes they do exist before anyone says they don't.)

Putting a conspiracy theory spin on it, I wonder if they are going to be making those cars harder to run because they haven't got any electronics to put those 'black' boxes in (and yes they do exist before anyone says they don't.)

More likely they want us to use cars affected by the the new road tax laws.... for example none of us supra owners are affected by the recent tax hikes (i now pay less tax than my work mate with a new mini :D pretty sure the supra kills the planet quicker than a mini.).

More likely they want us to use cars affected by the the new road tax laws.... for example none of us supra owners are affected by the recent tax hikes (i now pay less tax than my work mate with a new mini :D pretty sure the supra kills the planet quicker than a mini.).

Yup, also remember classic cars don't have to pay for the tax, simply walk into the office with MOT and insurance and they will give you the tax disc. Done this already on the three cars.. Morris Minor, Midget and Hillman minx..

Yeah, you made them, didn't you? :stickpoke:

There is no logic to this thread at all. If the purpose of this so called government thinking was to force us to buy new cars that they tax more - wouldn't it be a lot simpler if they increased road tax for older cars?

You have to go back quite a long way to have a tax exempt vehicle. So a lot of "classic" cars are still paying road tax. If the govt really thought that they were losing money because those people aren't buying the new cars that are taxed more, then the increase in road tax would have applied to all vehicles - not just the newer ones!

It's a crock. There is no evidence for this whatsoever. Has anyone even bothered Googling this subject? I doubt it.

There is something in the EU to prevent certains cars from entering certain parts of cities of that days pollution levels are high but that's in Germany at the moment.

Anyone signing the petition against enforced weekly drug testing at work? There's no proof that it's going to happen but I'm going to create a petition regardless.