The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Smoking TT

r1george

Hi Guy's,

Finally decided to go BPU, so I fitted the full decat pipe Friday night along with all other components (FCD, Walbro etc). I drove to Santapod Saturday (100 miles each way) with my brother following me and he said every time I shout off the power or came to a standstill and then pulled away (normally not giving it loads) a big plump of smoke came out of the exhaust.

Prior to me Decatting I only had smoke for a second or so on first start up (in the morning or after the car was left for 3-4 hrs)

The start up smoke I put down to worn valve guide seals but could the smoke I experienced yesterday be down to turbo seal???

Any ideas:(

Carl

I get some small amounts of blue smoke normaly noticable when blipping the throttle after on idle for a while.

Been told its the tubbie seals. But apparantly its nothing major to worry about and can go on for quite some time like this.

Yup - had this on two Supras as soon as I decatted them.

It was valve stem oil seals - not the end of the world by any means. They can go on for a loooonnngg time like this, but it's a good idea to get them done anyway. Just keep an eye on your oil level and check your plugs now and again until you replace them.

I've replaced a couple of sets of these in the last year and it's not a huge job.

Possibly valve stem seals as well as turbo seals - iirc, when you decat there's not as much back-pressure helping the seals stay closed. Mine smokes a bit too, but I can't be arsed getting the turbos sorted - if they come off again, there'll only be one turbo going back on! :D

From the description of this happening when blipping the throttle after idling for a while this sounds like Valve Stem seals.

If you get sustained smoke when it's under load, this would be more like turbo seals.

Plus, the turbo seals would be much more expensive to replace, so I'd be reluctant to change those before checking out the valve stem seals first!

Yup - had this on two Supras as soon as I decatted them.

It was valve stem oil seals - not the end of the world by any means. They can go on for a loooonnngg time like this, but it's a good idea to get them done anyway. Just keep an eye on your oil level and check your plugs now and again until you replace them.

I've replaced a couple of sets of these in the last year and it's not a huge job.

When you changed the valve seals did you remove the head or with the head on, I've seen on mkiv.com a method of changing the seals with head on !! how easy is it??

It's not easy, but certainly doable - I'd say when I did mine it took about 10-12 hours of continuous work, but no doubt it would be a lot less now I know my way around the engine bay a bit better!

Just make sure you have some spare collets before you start!

It's not easy, but certainly doable - I'd say when I did mine it took about 10-12 hours of continuous work, but no doubt it would be a lot less now I know my way around the engine bay a bit better!

Just make sure you have some spare collets before you start!

did you use a special tool to remove/replace collets??

Are the seal Mr T only or can you get from elsewhere??

Help appreciated cheers

Carl

I've done it both ways.

With the head on it can be done in a couple of evenings if you're fairly familiar with where everything is.

I wouldn't do it the head off way if you can avoid it. That takes forever! (But you do get to grind all your valves in nicely and inspect your engine properly) I did mine with the head off seeing as I was swapping out my turbos etc. anyway.