The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which convertible to replace Supra?

outatime

I don't like Porches, never have.

I sold the Supra because:

I'd had it nearly 5 years and fancied a change.

I didn't want the hassle of going single, so felt I had took it as far as I wanted mod wise.

Too many chavs are ruining them.

14 year old cars do not like being left for long periods.

Guest tony8

i sold my n/a supra for a slk32,

Power: 354.0 bhp

Torque: 331.9 ft lbs

Top Speed: 155.3 mph

0-62 mph: 5.2 seconds

they keep their value quiet well so you wouldnt lose much when you come to sell, only thing is it handles like a merc other then that i cant fault it, my 01 slk32 with 34000miles cost me £17k last sept

non just get an Alfa Spider

I know a couple of people who've had Alfas, they didn't really impress me and weren't particularly reliable ;)

i sold my n/a supra for a slk32,

Power: 354.0 bhp

Torque: 331.9 ft lbs

Top Speed: 155.3 mph

0-62 mph: 5.2 seconds

they keep their value quiet well so you wouldnt lose much when you come to sell, only thing is it handles like a merc other then that i cant fault it, my 01 slk32 with 34000miles cost me £17k last sept

I'm not a fan of SLK's, the only ones I see around here are driven by middle aged ladies wearing too much make-up and en route to the golf club for lunch :D

I've found a couple of nice 6 speed corvettes, targa tops, in the US. I'm out there in a couple of weeks so will try to take one for a spin :cool:

If I can't stretch the budget, i'll probably look at an S2000 to mess around in over the summer.

The rarity does appeal to me, i've just got an insurance quote for £324 which is nice.

The 6 speeds are hard to find here, there is a lot in America though :)

I had some great quotes too - BUT - be careful to get a quote for the exact year of car that you buy.

I started out getting quotes for a 2000 coupe. Then I bought the 2003 convertible, registered 2004. Some companies I went back to didn't have the car on their database after 2002!! FFS, it's the same car!

I tried to explain it to them, but they just said if it wasn't on their list then that's because of some difference in that year that means they won't cover it. Total rubbish of course, but it did mean I had to go to other companies that weren't as cheap.

In the end I managed to get it on my Supra policy with NUD until renewal. (After they had told me that they don't cover it either, but I found a back door into NUD via Hill House Hammond who do cover it. :D )

All worked out reasonably in the end. Next year I'll go to A-Plan I think.

I had some great quotes too - BUT - be careful to get a quote for the exact year of car that you buy.

I started out getting quotes for a 2000 coupe. Then I bought the 2003 convertible, registered 2004. Some companies I went back to didn't have the car on their database after 2002!! FFS, it's the same car!

I tried to explain it to them, but they just said if it wasn't on their list then that's because of some difference in that year that means they won't cover it. Total rubbish of course, but it did mean I had to go to other companies that weren't as cheap.

In the end I managed to get it on my Supra policy with NUD until renewal. (After they had told me that they don't cover it either, but I found a back door into NUD via Hill House Hammond who do cover it. :D )

All worked out reasonably in the end. Next year I'll go to A-Plan I think.

Cheers, I think i'll be going for a March 2001 at the latest so I won't have to pay ridiculous tax on it only to have it sat in the garage most the time.

A low mileage 2000/2001 is well within budget and I could afford to chuck on an loud exhaust as well :cool:

Cheers, I think i'll be going for a March 2001 at the latest so I won't have to pay ridiculous tax on it only to have it sat in the garage most the time.

You do know that there's not much difference in pre March 2001 and pre 23rd March 2006, don't you?

Pre March 2001: £180

Post March 2001, but pre 23rd March 2006 (Band F): £205

The expensive Band 'G' only applies to vehicles registered after 23rd March 2006.

Actually, I'd check how that affects imports that with DVLA too as if you import one it'll be registered in 2007. Don't know if they let you into a lower band as it'll be manufactured in about 2001.

I'd be interested to know what they say about this too!

:thumbs:

You do know that there's not much difference in pre March 2001 and pre 23rd March 2006, don't you?

Pre March 2001: £180

Post March 2001, but pre 23rd March 2006 (Band F): £205

The expensive Band 'G' only applies to vehicles registered after 23rd March 2006.

Actually, I'd check how that affects imports that with DVLA too as if you import one it'll be registered in 2007. Don't know if they let you into a lower band as it'll be manufactured in about 2001.

I'd be interested to know what they say about this too!

:thumbs:

No, I didn't realise it is only £25 more. I'm not that tight :D

I thought the tax related to year of manufacture rather than import? My Supra was imported in 1999 but had 'L' plates as it was manufactured in '93. I'll call the DVLA.

I might go for an '02 in that case, some 2001 C5's had issues with faulty piston rings.

My Supra was imported in 1999 but had 'L' plates as it was manufactured in '93. I'll call the DVLA.

Both of these years work out the same tax-wise as they are both pre-March 2001. I've looked at the Band 'G' stuff again and it does say 'NEW' cars registered after 23 March 2006. I'd still speak to DVLA though to avoid any nasty surprises!

I might go for an '02 in that case, some 2001 C5's had issues with faulty piston rings.

Yep - I'd heard about this too. Apparently it's an oil-control ring which doesn't really affect power, but does mean they use a fair bit more oil. 2001 and prior Z06's were apparently the worst. There are stories that GM replaced some engines under warranty when the owners shouted loud enough, but I'd still go for a later one to avoid this.

I sold my Supra a couple of months ago and I'm after a convertible to replace it with.

These are the cars i'm thinking about at the moment:

Honda S2000

Nissan 350Z

Honda NSX Targa

Corvette C5

The only one that really excites me out of that list is probably the Corvette, but it would be toward the top end of my budget and I have a house that need doing up :rolleyes:

I'm tempted to get something a bit cheaper, S2K maybe and keep it for a year or so then go for the 'vette or NSX.

Anyone got any experience or opinions on which to go for?

Best of both worlds there is a singled 2jz-gte engined honda s2000 for sale in the states http://clubaristo.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1170

I had a S2000 for a month...nice car, shape, style, build quality etc....nice engine noise BUT BUT it was to small, and at low revs theres just no pulling power...unless ur racing or travelling fast its not to easy to keep the revs up high comftably..

I love the 350z its new and fresh...nice engine, should be more comfy to drive as a 3.5 engine...

However, I would go for a corvette....much more rare, stands out more aswell....