The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which convertible to replace Supra?

outatime

I sold my Supra a couple of months ago and I'm after a convertible to replace it with.

These are the cars i'm thinking about at the moment:

Honda S2000

Nissan 350Z

Honda NSX Targa

Corvette C5

The only one that really excites me out of that list is probably the Corvette, but it would be toward the top end of my budget and I have a house that need doing up :rolleyes:

I'm tempted to get something a bit cheaper, S2K maybe and keep it for a year or so then go for the 'vette or NSX.

Anyone got any experience or opinions on which to go for?

Budget?

I'm not 100% sure at the moment.

We have various plans for the house, from turning it back to front to just a bit of a refurb. It depends what we decide to do.

I would think 20-25k max, although I would rather spend less.

I've just noticed I spelt 'convertible' wrong in the title :(

NSX costs too much to maintain IMHO if you are going to be watching your cash once you've bought it.

S2K - I have used one for a couple of weeks and couldn't live with the noise of it - plus it's sooooo tiny and the engine has no torque. Just felt so good to get back into the Supe.

Nissan 350Z - Not as quick as the Supe - BUT - they handle and stop brilliantly. Took one for a 90 minute test drive a while back and after about half an hour I really enjoyed it. Very confidence-inspiring in the bends.

C5 Corvette convertible - I bought one! Great engine, (Enough torque to pull a house down!)wonderful soundtrack when you hoof it, cheap to run (33mpg on the motorway at about 80 to 85!! Around town expect around 20ish) cheap to maintain/service, fantastic handling and very, very different. You won't see many others on the road if you get one of these. The boot is MASSIVE when the top is down too which is great for going to Le Mans.

For me - no contest I'm afraid.

Thanks for the opinions.

I wouldn't want something that has or needs modifications, I want a car I can use infrequently and not worry about things breaking :)

The most I would do is probably an exhaust and wheels.

I'm not too keen on the later MR2's looks wise.

I might look into importing a Corvette from the states with the weak dollar at the moment.

NSX costs too much to maintain IMHO if you are going to be watching your cash once you've bought it.

S2K - I have used one for a couple of weeks and couldn't live with the noise of it - plus it's sooooo tiny and the engine has no torque. Just felt so good to get back into the Supe.

Nissan 350Z - Not as quick as the Supe - BUT - they handle and stop brilliantly. Took one for a 90 minute test drive a while back and after about half an hour I really enjoyed it. Very confidence-inspiring in the bends.

C5 Corvette convertible - I bought one! Great engine, (Enough torque to pull a house down!)wonderful soundtrack when you hoof it, cheap to run (33mpg on the motorway at about 80 to 85!! Around town expect around 20ish) cheap to maintain/service, fantastic handling and very, very different. You won't see many others on the road if you get one of these. The boot is MASSIVE when the top is down too which is great for going to Le Mans.

For me - no contest I'm afraid.

[/qimg]

Cheers Brian, I was hoping you would spot this ;)

A couple of questions if you don't mind...

How do you find it being a left hooker?

Is it bigger than the Supra, mine was a tight squeeze in the garage.

Is yours a manual? How much of a premium do they fetch versus the autos?

My old man has a Blazer, and it is a PITA getting spares. Long waits and expensive as well, is the Corvette the same?

Last one, what is the insurance like?

Thanks.

Thanks for the opinions.

I wouldn't want something that has or needs modifications, I want a car I can use infrequently and not worry about things breaking :)

The most I would do is probably an exhaust and wheels.

I'm not too keen on the later MR2's looks wise.

I might look into importing a Corvette from the states with the weak dollar at the moment.

That's exactly what I was wanting from a car. Modifying means I spend half the winter outside working under the car. It just takes up so much time. I wanted to be able to enjoy driving the car more and not worrying about breaking down - so I'm not intending to modify it. I've put an exhaust on it and may think about wheels, but for me, it's quick enough.

Have a look on the owners forums and also Pistonheads.

I think one went up for sale on the UK Owners site yesterday.

Cheers Brian, I was hoping you would spot this ;)

A couple of questions if you don't mind...

How do you find it being a left hooker?

Is it bigger than the Supra, mine was a tight squeeze in the garage.

Is yours a manual? How much of a premium do they fetch versus the autos?

My old man has a Blazer, and it is a PITA getting spares. Long waits and expensive as well, is the Corvette the same?

Last one, what is the insurance like?

Thanks.

Insurance is a little more than the Supe - just over £600 vs £500ish on the Supe. A-Plan is apparently the cheapest and best out there at the moment. Much of this increase could be down to the fact that my 'vette is worth a lot more than my Supe though.

Parts - not normally a problem - especially for normal service parts - all should be in stock or within 48 hours at places like Claremont Corvette, Corvette Kingdom or Bauer Millet. You could also try talking to Martin at Ultimate Spares of America in Norfolk.

Mine is an auto - I don't think there's too much of a difference in the prices - especially if you are importing. Check out the US forum for this.

It is a little wider than the Supe, but only by a few inches. People like IanC will tell you how tight my driveway is for the Supra (he doesn't like to even watch me take the car to the back of my driveway - I have to fold the mirrors in for it to fit) but I can still get the 'vette down it too.

Left hooker - doesn't really cause me much of a problem to be honest. I have to plan my overtakes a little earlier if I'm out on my own, and getting car park tickets can be tricky, but overall it's well worth it. I had a '75 Corvette in the past and always regretted selling it. I now feel that I'm back in the place I want to be with my cars and I'm extremely happy with it.

The UK club does loads of special events too. The FIA GT this May at Silverstone for example - it should be £40 each to get in, but the owners club are getting entrance tickets, their own parking area in the middle of the event, pit/paddock passes, and grandstand seats for £10 per person. They also have their own hospitality marquee at Le Mans together with laps of the Le Mans circuit on race day for a limited number of owners. (That's a bit special!) It's about more than just owning the car, it seems.

If there's anything you want to know about, just get in touch. I'll be glad to help.

(I should be saying they're an awful car and LHD is a pain in the @rse etc. as I don't really want them to become common!)

Thanks, Soop Dogg. Some excellent info there, I used to drool at the window of Bauer Millett while I was at uni in manchester :)

I'm doing a bit of research into shipping a C5 over from the states. 6 speeds are hard to come by though, i'll have to try an auto.

Supra? Not for a while...

Cheers for sorting the title out, Rosie.

Surely a Porsche Boxter is the way to go, obviously not a brand new one though. Just make sure you get an S model, and not in silver (way too common) and youll be laughing.

argh you not serious?! every one and there pet has a porshe i look boring and no one looks twice at me boxster!!!!!!!!

argh you not serious?! every one and there pet has a porshe i look boring and no one looks twice at me boxster!!!!!!!!

Yeah thats true, but they are good cars. Really does depend on where you live too. I agree in the south, particually London area they are common as muck. But thats why I said dont get a silver one. Some really nice dark blues etc, which stand out more.

Its would certainly be a good stop gap car if you were undecided, you get to own a porsche, fairly reliable, servicing not a problem, certainly quick too.

If you want something special it has to be TVR im affraid in my book, but that comes at a huge longterm cost in maintainin the thing.