The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Paint spraying help.

DannyW

I think most decent spray guns require about 7-8 cubic feet per minute -cfm.

I bought a Devilbiss GTI gun like this one , I've only done one of my skirts so far but I got an exceptional finish.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DEVILBISS-GTI-110-1-4-SPRAYGUN-CRAZY-BARGAIN-PRICE_W0QQitemZ300102050400QQihZ020QQcategoryZ30923QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I bought a good compressor off ebay for £100 , over £328 at machine mart now - just like new, it's 50 litre, 3 horsepower and it works great.

I bought an electric compressor from a boot sale for £10 with all the bits and then a spray gun for £30 from ebay. I sprayed last years le mans car with it, and hopefully fingers crossed spraying the hotrod tommorrow with it :-)

Thats what im talking about! just something cheap,finish doesnt need to be amazing, just better than rattle cans from halfords.

well its all about the finishing...not the painting LOL

Do you fancy going into that a little deeper?

It'll be metallic that i'm spraying, i'd normally use primer then flat that down, then couple of coats of colour then loads of laquer on top.

Do you fancy going into that a little deeper?

It'll be metallic that i'm spraying, i'd normally use primer then flat that down, then couple of coats of colour then loads of laquer on top.

1. what base coat are you using? (make and mixing ratio)

2. what lacquer (make and mixing ratio + what hardener? express/ms? if your are using two pack)

3. what temp are you painting at? are you using base fade?

4. what grit paper are you using and and what primer?

5. when all that is done. what grit are you gonna flat and polish the finish with? 1500 to start then 3000?

just curious?

Is that deep enough?

;)

1. what base coat are you using? (make and mixing ratio)

2. what lacquer (make and mixing ratio + what hardener? express/ms? if your are using two pack)

3. what temp are you painting at? are you using base fade?

4. what grit paper are you using and and what primer?

5. when all that is done. what grit are you gonna flat and polish the finish with? 1500 to start then 3000?

just curious?

Is that deep enough?

;)

The simple answer to all that is "Fook knows" :)

The only experience i have is using halfords rattle cans.

If its a bigish job pay someone to do it.. you'll be better of in the long run ..TRUST ME;)

It's a teeny weeny little westfield, most of the panels are removable. So can be painted seperately and no need for a showroom finish to be honest.

As its a kit car have a go mate if you mess it up pay someone at least you tryed, just painted mine really pleased with the outcome

It was you that inspired me :)

Looking at the westfield tomorrow, if all goes well then i'll buy it. Only problem is that it's red which i don't really like so i thought about spraying it myself.

Like you say it's worth a try.

Everyone have to start somewhere.

If he will use:

3L2 ready prepared base coat

Ready prepared clear lacquer

(this is what paint shops are ffs)

Paint in 20 degrees temperature

No he do not use base fade - he is using ready prepared 3L2

he will use 1500 grit, 2500 later and MAYBE 3000 grit sanding paper. After that 3G polishing compound to get shine or Menzerna set of polishes.

I can understand, that if you are doing this for cash, you would rather see you to spray it for him, but for fook sake - he is asking simple questions and need simple answers. You know exactly, that he will not put bloody apple candy red on his kit car, just few spots of paint. So why you do not give him simple answers for simple job???

Everyone have to start somewhere.

If he will use:

3L2 ready prepared base coat

Ready prepared clear lacquer

(this is what paint shops are ffs)

Paint in 20 degrees temperature

No he do not use base fade - he is using ready prepared 3L2

he will use 1500 grit, 2500 later and MAYBE 3000 grit sanding paper. After that 3G polishing compound to get shine or Menzerna set of polishes.

I can understand, that if you are doing this for cash, you would rather see you to spray it for him, but for fook sake - he is asking simple questions and need simple answers. You know exactly, that he will not put bloody apple candy red on his kit car, just few spots of paint. So why you do not give him simple answers for simple job???

I would be happy to walk him through it.

I do NOT want to do it for him.

Just letting peeps know Its not a peice of piss painting a car and letting him know that if he wants a good finish he will need to know what he's doing.

But as its so simple I'll leave you to help him paint his car.:tongue: :D :p :taped:

I would be happy to walk him through it.

I do NOT want to do it for him.

Just letting peeps know Its not a peice of piss painting a car and letting him know that if he wants a good finish he will need to know what he's doing.

But as its so simple I'll leave you to help him paint his car.:tongue: :D :p :taped:

Of course he will need to know, what he is doing - and you with your questions helping him like hell lol. I would prolly overkill you with any question about computers by asking stupid technically overfilled questions instead of giving you simple advice with link to ready product.

Painting is simple - once you know what to do, same with stripping Supra engine or setting up good computer. All you need is person, who will not try to show off with their proffesion, just someone, who will explain step by step how to do this or that - in this case paint bloody kit car in simple colour, using standard tools and premixed stuff from paint shop - we can assume, he do not have proffesional painting chamber to do it, so garage have to be enough. Now - do you know, how to advice him properly or will still taking a piss? If you happy to make walk through - do it! Even poor me see he do not have idea, where to start!

@DannyW

http://www.neilslade.com/Papers/Painting.html

This should be good start for you - if you scroll down to around black car picture, there is quite few basic info and tips, how to paint your car and what equipment to use.

http://www.carcraft.com/howto/24820/

Another one - combine with first link :)