The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Remington 1 : Fox 0

Chris Wilson

She's killed 4 chickens and 2 Guinea Fowl, and I have been after her for 4 weeks. Last night I went out as dusk fell to pot a rabbit for the fox trap. Patiently waiting by an old oak tree for a rabbit to show who should saunter out of the woods, close enough for a clean kill, even with a small load of bismuth pellets, but her ladyship!

Only snag is one of the dogs tried to dig her up this morning, and I buried her 3 foot 6 down. Just got to get her partner now, he might be even more canny. Foxes are really prevalent this year, and everyone I speak to has had trouble with them, locally.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Chris you big, evil murderer for killing poor cuddly fluffy foxy woxy!!

Just kidding :D

It's a shame they have to be killed but they're certainly a pest so no other choice really. Good luck catching the remaining one :hunter:

foxes are evil scummy animals, sad day when they banned hunting.

Im trying to get some broad head points from the US (where they hunt bears with bows etc - think 4 razor blades attached to the end of an arrow, your about there....) so i can go and scewer a few foxes. Its natural revenge for our chickens!

foxes are evil scummy animals, sad day when they banned hunting.

Im trying to get some broad head points from the US (where they hunt bears with bows etc - think 4 razor blades attached to the end of an arrow, your about there....) so i can go and scewer a few foxes. Its natural revenge for our chickens!

sorry dude, but you're wrong.

yes they're a pest when they target chickens etc BUT what the hell else are they gonna do? become vegetarian?!

fox hunting was and still is a sick way to get rid of them and imho it should be done as quickly and painlessly as possible if it is necessary.

what if the farmer of cows came hunting you with a bow and razor-bladed arrow because he saw you eating a beef burger one day?

:rolleyes:

I was always told that the quickest / surest way for a fox to die is by it's natural predator - ie dogs.

Is this not true?

is this after it's been chased for a few miles and more than likely scared shitless?

i would have imagined a bullet to the head would be quicker than being mauled by a dog but there you go.

is this after it's been chased for a few miles and more than likely scared shitless?

i would have imagined a bullet to the head would be quicker than being mauled by a dog but there you go.

Takes a lot of skill/luck to shoot a fox with a shotgun and actually kill it. Most likely outcome is it will be wounded, and run off and die painfully, think even the fox would prefer a dog biting through its neck, killing it instantly, to that.

I grew up on a farm, and have first hand knowledge of what foxes get up to. Im not going to get into this argument though as no one can ever agree and it just goes round in circles.

Just wait untill they over run towns - then see how public oppinion suddenly changes about them.

And im quite safe from farmers shooting me, i AM vegitarian ;)

I don't know - that's why I asked you because you seem to.

I would've thought that it takes great skill to hit a fox in the head (I believe that proper hunters generally aim for the torso as there's a bigger chance of a clean kill). I was also told once that shooting a fox quite often results in it limping away and dying from infection days later - but again I don't know.

Edit: Too slow ;)

With Foxes and larger animals you really should be using a rifle, killing one outright with a shotgun can be pretty difficult! Shotguns are best left for little varments like Rabbits, moor hens, etc.

I'm not a fan of hunting with dogs, I've seen it numerous times when I was younger and although its a fairly quick death, it's pretty horrific! They just rip the thing to bits.

There is nothing wrong with controlling no's via a powerful gun in the hands of an experienced marksman who can kill instantly.

However I don't agree with the whole chase the poor critter till it is exhausted and let the dogs rip it to shreds route.

I'd only ever take the shot if i was SURe it would reult in a clean kill. this one just walked under my nose. I don't get any kick from shooting things, but I have a duty to my livestock, and once a fox has taken some birds you can be sure as hell he'll be back for more. In fact, 10 years ago I'd have argued that i would NEVER shoot an animal. Living in the sticks, rather than in a town, has opened my eyes to a different world. Chickenns came from Tescos, 10 years ago, now they come from egges we hatch ourselves :)

I am also not into hunting with dogs, but don't have THAT strong an opinion. If people like dressing up and claiming riding out in large groups with a pack of hounds is an efficient way of dealing with them I'd dispute it. If they said they did it `cos they enjoyed it, I'd think more of them, but still not want to partake.

I'd say you have to protect your livestock, so i'm with Chris on killing the foxes he's having trouble with, he saw a chance of a quick sure kill and took it, I would of done the same. Didn't really agree with the whole hunting them with dog's thing though, there are better way's of keeping their number's down if thats what is needed.

With Foxes and larger animals you really should be using a rifle, killing one outright with a shotgun can be pretty difficult! Shotguns are best left for little varments like Rabbits, moor hens, etc.

exactly! using a shot gun is just lazy imo unless you're shooting into the air in which case you'd need to be bloody amazing to do that with a rifle.

I'd even prefer the use of a rifle when shooting rabbits etc too.

Takes a lot of skill/luck to shoot a fox with a shotgun and actually kill it. Most likely outcome is it will be wounded, and run off and die painfully, think even the fox would prefer a dog biting through its neck, killing it instantly, to that.

I grew up on a farm, and have first hand knowledge of what foxes get up to. Im not going to get into this argument though as no one can ever agree and it just goes round in circles.

See above regarding the use of a shotgun.

Also, I too partly grew up on a farm and my grandad still has his as well as my ex-girlfriends family owning a farm which i used to work on a lot.

As i've said before, i understand the need for control but it's the way it's done i disagree with (i.e. hunting with dogs).

Good work Chris, We have shot about 6 this last month, nightmare to catch up with them at this time of year!

What people dont realise is they will kill for fun! Seen a fox get into a pheasant pen and kill 80 odd birds in one night and only eat half of one!

And people think fox hunting is cruel, what a fox will do by toying with its prey and killing birds slowly is a million times worse!

We had a fox try and take some of our chickens a few years ago. It managed to get only the cockeral as he must have defended the rest of them.

The fox managed to rip through two sets of chicken wire to get at them!

Whilst i think just killing a fox for the hell of it is stupid, in the country things are very different. As Chris says you cant stop them sometimes and the only way sometimes is to shoot the thing. Ive spent most of my life in lincolnshire, and though my parents dont farm all my friends families have been involved with farming in someway all my life and i can safely say stuff like killing foxes goes on everyday.

What people dont realise is they will kill for fun! Seen a fox get into a pheasant pen and kill 80 odd birds in one night and only eat half of one!

And people think fox hunting is cruel, what a fox will do by toying with its prey and killing birds slowly is a million times worse!

That's the nature of a fox though! isn't it the case that it kills the other birds for 'later' as it were even though it won't eat them straight away?

Also, your second sentence about the fox toying with it's prey.....that's what it does!!

If there were wild dogs out there that hunted foxes naturally then i'd accept it, but to do it for 'sport' is just sick.

To re-iterate my first post, I DO condone the culling of foxes to protect farmers' animals but only if they're being shot with a rifle and not 'hunted'.

no more posts from me on this, i think i've mad my point by now :D

Good work Chris, We have shot about 6 this last month, nightmare to catch up with them at this time of year!

The fox knows no better. We (humans) do.

Kill 'em if you have to, but do it humanely.:)

I've always struggled with the mentality of people who derive pleasure from killing. There must be something more worthwhile to do?