The mkiv Supra Owners Club

"death to Shilpa Shetty"

michael

Apparently Richard Gere should be worried too...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6560371.stm

Was Gere wrong to do this? Is Shetty courting the media by getting into these situations?

Public displays of affection and sex are still largely taboo in India

...yet the burning of effigies and requesting the death of an individual aren't... it's a funny old world isn't it.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, what are they like! A couple of months ago Saint Shilpa was being publicly idolised and they were burning Jade Goody effigies. Now she's been kissed by some has-been actor they want her dead? WTF is that all about? The way they over-react you'd think she'd given him a BJ on the local mosque steps or something.

It must be like living in the middle ages in some of these third world countries.

I really don't understand how something so small always results in protests and burning things.

In this country if something annoys us we might possibly tut loudly, and everyone over the age of 60 phones their local radio station to register their disgust. Have these protesters honestly got nothing better to do? Or bigger things to complain about?

Hang on - they're having a go at what happened because something which is perfectly normal in our culture is obscene in theirs.

Now we're calling them ridiculous.

Could it be that we're not affording their culture the same degree of understanding that we demand they give to ours??

Could it be that we're not affording their culture the same degree of understanding that we demand they give to ours??

Don't get me wrong, I understand their frustration if it's considered obscene in their culture.... but burning effigies and shouting for blood? Well and truly over the top.

what happened

is perfectly normal in our culture is obscene in theirs.

Now we're calling them ridiculous.

Thinking she should be burned alive for letting someone kiss her had and cheek in public is far more obscene and ridiculous, in my opinion.

I do understand their culture, I just happen to think it's retarded.

Hey, don't get me wrong people - I don't understand it either.

I think it's daft too, I just think that sometimes we have a go at other cultures for not understanding our culture, when they do something that we don't understand in ours. Maybe we all need to give each others cultures more respect. (nah - that's an ideal world scenario isn't it? Never gonna happen so I'll shut up!)

Anyway - here's an even bigger example of something in another culture that you really couldn't make up:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/ukfs_news/hi/newsid_4740000/newsid_4748200/4748292.stm

Made me laugh!!

:)

Hey, don't get me wrong people - I don't understand it either.

I think it's daft too, I just think that sometimes we have a go at other cultures for not understanding our culture, when they do something that we don't understand in ours. Maybe we all need to give each others cultures more respect. (nah - that's an ideal world scenario isn't it? Never gonna happen so I'll shut up!)

I don't think it's lack of respect for their culture - as already mentioned, it's the reaction to it that's the problem. I don't understand why kissing somebody in public like that is so dreadful - but if that is their culture, I can understand them being upset. However - I can't understand why they react the way they do.

In fact - isn't it the case that they are intolerant of other cultures? Saying "that's not really acceptable here" is one thing. Burning effigy's and shouting death to Shilpa would suggest that a little more understanding of the West might be needed.

Just saw this in BBC New24, dont exactly know whats coming up after what Richard G did, but he surely was pushing it too much, I thought for a moment he is trying to go further TBH :Pling:

and what I saw in New she didn't seem very happy/confortable about it either, so its not a wise thing to do specially for someone like R G who I'm sure has seen nice women enough in his life :D

Burning effigy's and shouting death to Shilpa would suggest that a little more understanding of the West might be needed.

:yeahthat: When Sacha Baron Cohen started doing his Borat routine he intentionally set out to act in a way that was unacceptable or just plain weird in British culture..... I didn't see anyone over here calling for him to be killed!

:yeahthat: When Sacha Baron Cohen started doing his Borat routine he intentionally set out to act in a way that was unacceptable or just plain weird in British culture..... I didn't see anyone over here calling for him to be killed!

i'm working this week, but do you want to get together to burn an effigy of borat and hold a protest on saturday? :innocent:

i'm disquested at how you spelt the name of charlottes country... "death to mas" rally this saturday - bring a lifesize blow up doll of vanessa feltz for evening entertainment :taped: :taped: :tongue:

Quite frankly I'm disgusted by the general spelling and grammar on here. I'm going to burn .net effigy's. :D

:lol: I take it like a man :p