The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ECU -> Hard Wiring swap to Fields Harness

Sheefa

Hi all,

My cars electrics are like spaghetti junction and that doesn't help solve problems that arise with car one bit! :rolleyes: The alarm, speed delimiter and FCD etc have all been wired into the ECU.

Burna came round the Rich's the other day and I saw a very lovely Fields Harness he had purchase - lovely bit of kit.

As a result, I thought about getting one myself because that way I can remove aftermarket additions and diagnose a few problems, engine cut out etc.:)

Question is, how do I do a swap over and is it even possible? Would it be a case of getting a factory ECU for a J-spec Auto TT and rewiring everything into the new harness, or something else? Too complicated? :search:

I intend to take it to Matt Harwood at some point.

Thanks all.

Greg

Should have said, mate - I've got one in mine :)

To move all your old hard-wired stuff over to it, it'd just be a case of cutting the wires (the ones to the various electonics, e.g. boost controller, FCD, etc.) from the standard ECU loom, taping up the one end and putting a bullet connector on the other. Then just add female bullet connectors where needed on the Fields harness, and spend about 2 minutes getting everything plugged in :)

Should have said, mate - I've got one in mine :)

To move all your old hard-wired stuff over to it, it'd just be a case of cutting the wires (the ones to the various electonics, e.g. boost controller, FCD, etc.) from the standard ECU loom, taping up the one end and putting a bullet connector on the other. Then just add female bullet connectors where needed on the Fields harness, and spend about 2 minutes getting everything plugged in :)

Well give me yours then! :p

Thanks Bob. I think my main concern was the amount of spare wiring left on the existing loom mate as it's been chopped and changed etc quite a bit I think.

That sounds fairly easy though. Just wondered if it might be better getting a replacement ECU though - one that's been completely untainted and going from there.

Will look into this mate as I have some horrid connections underneath!:rolleyes:

Cheers bud. ;)

No point with the new ECU mate, it's the wiring loom that would need replacing. And there's a little bit more work involved there! :)

Your best bet would probably be to get the harness, chop out any connections from the main wiring loom one-by-one and resolder each one properly, with heatshrink. Especially if anyone has used scotch-blocks on the wiring!

Don't think there's much you can do Greg I'm afraid :(

It's the loom that's been cut into mate not the ECU, so changing the ECU will not help you. You're not going to be wanting to change the loom so I'd say you stuck. I hope I'm wrong but that's how I understand why the replica fields harness is only worth having before you start cutting into the cars wiring loom.

I know some people think it's a bit overkill for me to pay for and fit a fields harness just for a fuel cut defencer, but I see it as future proofing and keeps the loom perfect.

Well give me yours then! :p

Thanks Bob. I think my main concern was the amount of spare wiring left on the existing loom mate as it's been chopped and changed etc quite a bit I think.

That sounds fairly easy though. Just wondered if it might be better getting a replacement ECU though - one that's been completely untainted and going from there.

Will look into this mate as I have some horrid connections underneath!:rolleyes:

Cheers bud. ;)

Hello buddy. Ive just bought one of these for the e-manage

& stuff, but your not having it!!!:p :D

there doesn't seem much point in spending 200 quid just to solder them back together.

Less than £200 mate ;)

Its doable, but a lot of hard work given the state of your loom. Like Burna says, once the loom has been cut it becomes fairly pointless. You'd be better of just getting the loom repaired with proper connectors - NO SCOTCHLOCKS

Wow I've just realised this thread is in technical and my advice was correct! Ok folks you've been great, I'm outta here, Goodnight :D

Its doable, but a lot of hard work given the state of your loom. Like Burna says, once the loom has been cut it becomes fairly pointless. You'd be better of just getting the loom repaired with proper connectors - NO SCOTCHLOCKS

Don't worry Rich. You'll do fine sorting it out for me - I trust you. Good man. :)

I know! $76 cheaper than mine. Please check to see if it's the right one first please mate. Just seems odd it's way cheaper for what must be the same amount of wires.

Nah - I'm sure UK one's have 50% more wires, therefore making them even heavier. :p

I am mate :) Will have a few changes I will be showing off ;) Jo is still thinking about coming.

Good man. Rich is coming too I think, hopefully Peter Piper so that's a good crowd. :) I believe Rich is going to be kind and offer me a lift. :)

You going to TF for the BBQ on the 29th Burna/Pete?

Burna - "I'm wasting away" :rlol:

It's a bit far from here mate. See if there's anything on around the time. If it's a nice day I might make the effort.

Distance: 103.9 miles

Time: 1 hr 54 min

It's a bit far from here mate. See if there's anything on around the time. If it's a nice day I might make the effort.

That's an extra half hour than me Pete, I see what you mean. Be good to see you mate but I suppose it won't be long until the Dragonball :eyebrows:

What you planning, walking?

103.9 miles = just under 1 hr:innocent: