The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car won't idle - the saga continues

Homer

I have an intermittent problem, where the engine suddenly will barely idle. For example, yesterday the car was running more or less okay (aside from another cold loop issue), I went to start the car today but it was running like this:

(The video may not be ready yet)

It basically runs extremely rich (

It has happened twice before. The first time it suddenly worked okay after i changed the plugs. The 2nd time it happened, the plugs change made no difference. The car then went to Phoenix who couldn't find anything wrong with it (aside from a wrong EMB setting). The fuel tank was drained and the plugs changed again and it seemed okay. I've been driving the car around for the last 2 weeks but now suddenly its back to this extremely rich running.

Just about every sensor has been checked or replaced. I can only think this might be an injector issue?

Any ideas?

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

have you checked for vacuum leaks around the fpr as that can cause it to go meggar rich. i had a similar problem to yours last week with my FSE fuel regulator playing up (after telling ian c that i never had issues with fse's:rolleyes: ) removed the vacuum pipe off the regulator and capped it off, and all started to run normal at idle again. but do not drive it with the pipe disconnected.

have you checked for vacuum leaks around the fpr as that can cause it to go meggar rich. i had a similar problem to yours last week with my FSE fuel regulator playing up (after telling ian c that i never had issues with fse's:rolleyes: ) removed the vacuum pipe off the regulator and capped it off, and all started to run normal at idle again. but do not drive it with the pipe disconnected.

Thanks for the reply Abs. I have just redone all the vacuum lines and they are definitely okay with no leaks (checked several times today). I'll try your test tomorrow though as I've not done that before.

Edit - sorry, do you mean cap the pressure feed for the fpr or leave that to open air?

Nightmare you been having mate, Have you tried it with the stock injectors and ecu?

I think thats the only option left (Ian C said the same). Only problem is Phoenix have my original injectors, though Mark is posting them out first thing tomorrow (hopefully). I'll be sticking them back in on Mon/Tues hopefully.

i sorta had a idle like that when my water temp sensor was foobared, you checked that + connection?

Good point, Phoenix mentioned that too. I haven't swapped it but will do so tomorrow with one I know is working.

Anyhow, if it was the sensor only, I think it would mean the car would switch to the cold start cell, but this seems to be irrelvant as it still runs incredibly rich regardless of what AR I enter in that cell.

I haven't checked the feed from the temp sensor, so you know what values I should see from it?

no idea, i just know mine was running like a bag of shit after i did the stem seals. wouldnt start, when it did it sounded like that, tonnes of black smoke etc plugs soaked in fuel

And it was all down to that little sensor. :(

Careful with them, they snap easy

Careful with them, they snap easy

Tell me about it, already ruined one water elbow after the small sensor snapped.

Just to be sure, the water temp sensor for the ECU is the larger one of the two right? The smaller one being the feed for the gauge?

thats correct :)

i snapped mine off, and tried to start it after as i didnt think that sensor would cause so much problem.

So i managed to get hold of another water neck on ebay with the sensors in, started first time i couldnt believe it.

It is the bigger of the 2 the small one is for the gauge yes, the clip also suffers the same destructive features of the coil pack clips, so watch that too :)

These are the readings from CJ's Manual:

at 0 degress c should be 4-7k

at 20 degrees c should be 2-3k

at 40 degrees c should be 0.9-1.3k

at 60 degrees c should be 0.4-0.7k

at 80 degrees c should be 0.2-0.4k

Hope this helps

:)

Many thanks. Do you know what the "k" represents?

with a faulty temp sensor normally it a pig to start and the idle will go quite high. but if you do decide to change it make sure you buy a main dealer one. as i have found that the aftermarket one from a motor factor will give slightly different readings which just adds to more problems.

with a faulty temp sensor normally it a pig to start and the idle will go quite high. but if you do decide to change it make sure you buy a main dealer one. as i have found that the aftermarket one from a motor factor will give slightly different readings which just adds to more problems.

The spare one I have is the original from my car. The one in it now doesn't look great as it came from a wrecker (coated in calcium, looks like it never saw proper coolant). It doesn't idle high though, it's the same as always at 650rpm.

Thanks guys :)

Okay, both temp sensor wires only had 1 strand of wire attaching them to the harness, one split after I removed the plug (see pic). I guess (hope!) this is the cause...

How the hell to I get the plug apart to reattached the wires. There is no obvious way to remove it :blink:

EDIT - Nevermind, the entire thing just disitrgrated in my hands!! Toyota is closed till Monday... bugger.

sensor plug.jpg