The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How to change rear pads?

Homer

Is this an easy DIY job?

I guess it's just a case of removing he wheel, poping the pins out and removing the pads and shims.

Copper grease both sides of the shim and reinsert (after pushing the piston back)?

Is it really that simple.. never changed pads before!

do you have J-Spec rear calipers if so then easy yes but a different procedure as it is a sliding caliper design so you need to take off the piston carrier, just two 14mm bolts,and then replace the pads which are held in place by the separate pad carrier that is bolted to the hub (dont need to undo that) any hay presto! done.

unless you have Uk spec then i dont know i'll let someones else explain that one!

Cheers guys, it was a very easy :) The jammed calliper held things up a little though...

Also, be careful you don't damage the piston seals when you're pushing the pistons back. :)

Just after I finished my neighbour dropped by and said I should have used compression kit which twists the piston while its being compressed; this apparently stop the piston seal splitting.

Time will tell, but it felt 1000% better under braking on the test drive this evening :)

• 1 year later...

very easy. take the wheel off, undo the brake callipar, push the piston in (which is pretty hard) pop the new pads in (grease the backs), and then tighten the callipe back up and then your done. remember if you end up changeing the disc to release the hand brake otherwise you will end up hammering it off which will damage the internal mechanism.

Any more tips as I'm about to do mine!

Where is this How To? I can find a J-Spec how to, but I have UK rears (and KAD fronts!)

I shall continue searching!

can't help with the KAD's but the uk rears are easy depending on if the two pins will slide out easily. Some get stuck fast.

On the top of the caliper you should see two dome heads, these go through the nearside of the caliper, through the holes on the top of the brake pads and through the far side of the caliper, where they they have a retaining split pin through them.

pull out the split pin and attempt to slide the pins out but levering behind the domed heads. Do not knock from the rear in case you open out the plain end of the pin which will mean you'll never get the pin through.

Once the pins are out you can remove the stainless retaining clip bits and just wiggle the pads up out of the caliper.

If they're anything like my uk rears, it was a nightmare!

All four pins had to be cut and drilled out. Copperslip the new ones for next time.

So far so... goodish. I started on the right rear, and got one pad off easy peasy, but I think the piston has seized on the opposite cos it won't budge. :( Will look at it again tomorrow as I need to go buy sme copper grease anyway.

very easy. take the wheel off, undo the brake callipar, push the piston in (which is pretty hard) pop the new pads in (grease the backs), and then tighten the callipe back up and then your done. remember if you end up changeing the disc to release the hand brake otherwise you will end up hammering it off which will damage the internal mechanism.

That's true if it had Jspec Brakes :p