The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Petrol R/C Cars

Harps

Anyone here have experience with Petrol R/C Cars?

Bought a Monster Truck yesterday and it looks ace..... but I can't get it started :(

Any tricks that might help?

Currently I'm covering the exhaust and pulling the.... er.... pulley to get some fuel through before attaching the heater and pulling the pulley about 5 inches out or so. Only got close to getting it going once. Even thought I might have flooded the engine so went through the instructions on getting rid of the fuel, but still no luck.

Stick the heater on the glow plug, leave it for a minute or so, prime the fuel by pressing the little button on the tank a few times and then give the cord a few tugs, it should jump into life then.

Did you buy it new?

Sometimes the glow plugs need replacing.

I tend to cover the exhaust to shut the engine off so I wouldn't do that to start it :)

In the top of the motor, you'll see a glow plug, yake this out and pull the starter pulley until you see fuel spraying out the top, then put plug back in.

Have you got the battery attachment for the top of the engine?

if so, plug this onto the glow plug and start her up :D

have something in front of it though incase it revs high on startup, once running, adjust the idle with the trim on the controller. Then enjoy.

Er... little button on the engine? :search: Didn't see one of them but I'll have another good look later. The finger on the exhaust thing was (according to the manual) to prime the engine.

Yep, brand spanking new. Just hope I can get it to run :)

Cheers for the help

If it is new, you need to run the engine while it isn't moving for around 2 tankfuls in order to run the engine in.

There is a proper running procedure for these things, worth while following to make them easier to start in future. And yes they are a bugger to get started first time round.

What cars you got then guys? I've only got electrics now.

I've got a HPI MT with a few tweeks, TOP CT-12 engine (Novarossi made) with slide-barrel carburettor. GPM alloy upper-deck, fibre brake discs, in-line fuel filter, MT-2 body, Paris Racing tuned pipe, K&N filter and a mad controller than lets me set ABS up and various other nonsense I've never got to grips with.

I've used it 5 times at the most and each time it's broken one of the dog bones driveshafts or the little cups they fit into - the engine seems to be too powerful for the rest of the bits.

It's currently 3 wheel drive, I keep meaning to buy some new bits and have a play again but I feel a bit silly standing in a field like a kid :)

I've got one of these, 4wd monster truck to, very good fun. I wouldnt cover the exhaust to start it, well i never do. Like others have said, just check the fuel line to make sure fuel is going up the pipe whne you prime it. They all use different methods to start it, but its norrmally via connecting a charger to the glow plug. Perhaps try removing the plug and see if it glows red when you connect the charger. Should do if its new. Mine was very hard to strat when new, but i found it started instantly if i held a hair dryer on the cooling head on top of the engine for a minute or so.

I've used it 5 times at the most and each time it's broken one of the dog bones driveshafts or the little cups they fit into - the engine seems to be too powerful for the rest of the bits.

:)

Have you tried the uprated ones, I had the same issues and eventually swapped them out for the uprated ones which hold for a little longer but still go snap every now and then...

Have you tried the uprated ones, I had the same issues and eventually swapped them out for the uprated ones which hold for a little longer but still go snap every now and then...

I haven't as yet, I bought a batch of the normal ones and have been slowly going through those - I'll try and upgrade this time though.

It's mental how much the bits cost though, huge amounts of cash for tiny parts and even more if you want the "hop up" version that doesn't break instantly.

I used to live down the road from http://www.modelsport.co.uk - each time I went in the shop there would be a mass of children with bigger, faster and more expensive cars than mine buying even more bits for them, generous parents I guess :)

Finger over the exhaust is fine for priming.

Once primed you could try undoing the glow plug a little so it's not sealing 100% - this will make life easier is she's proving a little stubborn to start.

Make sure your starter stick is fully charged and there's no harm in trying a new glow plug either.

I've got a HPI MT with a few tweeks, TOP CT-12 engine (Novarossi made) with slide-barrel carburettor. GPM alloy upper-deck, fibre brake discs, in-line fuel filter, MT-2 body, Paris Racing tuned pipe, K&N filter and a mad controller than lets me set ABS up and various other nonsense I've never got to grips with.

It's currently 3 wheel drive, I keep meaning to buy some new bits and have a play again but I feel a bit silly standing in a field like a kid :)

Squires ;)