The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fitting EGT, Fueland oil pressure probes

TLicense

All,

I'm going to fit a couple of EGT probe's, and hook 'em up to the AEM to alert if they go too high. The AEM will then be able to take remedial action, as well as fire up a couple of warning lights. My question is where do I mount them?

The reason why I say two, is because I've heard somewhere that no'6 tends to run leaner, (and hence hotter EGT's) than the other's so I was thinking one on the no'6 runner and then where would I put the other one? Maybe 3 or 4?

I was also going to fit fuel and oil pressure probes. Where would be best to mount the oil probe?

Many thanks

Tony

Originally posted by Ian C

Any suggestions for an oil temperature probe location would be accepted too :thumbs: Preferably the intake side of the engine.

-Ian

We normally measure oil temperature in the oil pan, usually by putting a thermocouple in a modified sump plug. Not very elegant but easy to do for development stuff.

Cheers for the advice chaps.

Unsurprisingly I'll not be removing the engine to install a couple of porbes, so I think I'll probably go for the filter relocation kit and fit a couple of T's in there. Would fitting to the sump actually be a good measure of oil pressure?

With regards to the EGT probes, Dan, the AEM one's should be plenty good enough. What I'm thinking of doing is basically having a chart of temp against additional injector duty. If the EGt temps go above 1000 degs for example then add an extra 10% fuel. I'll let Pete dabble with the actual settings when I go to see him at the end of the month.

I couldn't find the no1 vs no6 thread anywhere. I guess what I could do is put one on each, as they should be worse case scenario. What do you think?

Cheers again chaps

Tony

Originally posted by TLicense

With regards to the EGT probes, Dan, the AEM one's should be plenty good enough. What I'm thinking of doing is basically having a chart of temp against additional injector duty. If the EGt temps go above 1000 degs for example then add an extra 10% fuel. I'll let Pete dabble with the actual settings when I go to see him at the end of the month.

I couldn't find the no1 vs no6 thread anywhere. I guess what I could do is put one on each, as they should be worse case scenario. What do you think?

Cheers again chaps

Tony

MmMmMmMm not sure sure about pissing in extra fuel to knock your EGTs down. what was it you said about not bodging things? :) If your fuelling is OK and your exhaust system (from cylinder head to tailpipe) isn't mega restrictive your EGTs should be OK...

CW put my EGT probe in runner #1. With a road car you should be running cheerfully rich under boost anyway, so a minor difference between cylinders would be wholly irrelevant. On a racecar, yeah, you'd be near the edge of engine death to get the most power and would probably run one EGT probe per cylinder, and map fuel on a per-cylinder basis, but that's a whole different thang.

-Ian

Originally posted by Ian C

MmMmMmMm not sure sure about pissing in extra fuel to knock your EGTs down. what was it you said about not bodging things? :) If your fuelling is OK and your exhaust system (from cylinder head to tailpipe) isn't mega restrictive your EGTs should be OK...

CW put my EGT probe in runner #1. With a road car you should be running cheerfully rich under boost anyway, so a minor difference between cylinders would be wholly irrelevant. On a racecar, yeah, you'd be near the edge of engine death to get the most power and would probably run one EGT probe per cylinder, and map fuel on a per-cylinder basis, but that's a whole different thang.

-Ian

I agree with what your saying Ian, adding fuel is not something you would want to do on a day to day basis. But it is a good idea to prevent your engine from melting should something suddenly go wrong. Plus it's something fairly a-kin to what the stock ecu will do anyway, ie when you start to get knock it'll retard the ignition and add more fuel. To be honest IIRC this is a technique that's mentioned in the AEM EFI basics guide.

You have a fair point regarding no. of probes. If I just monitor the EGT's of no1 or 6 which ever it is that should be fine. I was just thinking belts and braces....

Originally posted by TLicense

I agree with what your saying Ian, adding fuel is not something you would want to do on a day to day basis. But it is a good idea to prevent your engine from melting should something suddenly go wrong. Plus it's something fairly a-kin to what the stock ecu will do anyway, ie when you start to get knock it'll retard the ignition and add more fuel. To be honest IIRC this is a technique that's mentioned in the AEM EFI basics guide.

You have a fair point regarding no. of probes. If I just monitor the EGT's of no1 or 6 which ever it is that should be fine. I was just thinking belts and braces....

Sorry Tony, I didn't realise you were using it as an emergency failsafe thing, in which case I'm all for it. Extra fuel, backed off timing, boost lowered to minimum, and a big red light labelled "ARGH" sounds adequate to me :)

-Ian