Matt H

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks like high oil pressure to me.

If it were me I'd clean it up, look carefully for anyother visible problems, check levels, then start it up to see how it sounds, bring to running temp and check to see if it loses again (from where) or if oil pressure lights etc come on.

Don't blame me if it dies though ;)

Are you back home alreay Tom? That was quick!.. Then again, i've seen how you drive your car now! :-D Must admit it sounded awesome when you passed me on the M6.. Think i'll be tempted to get an Aristo in the future! :-) thanks for making the trip down to see us :-)

Just got back form the NW meet and on the way home hitting high speeds something just bad happened. The car was running rough all the way home and was shacking and idleing irracticly when i parked up

Ooo, that picture looks exactly like my engine bay when I melted a piston on my white TT, oil everywhere out of the filler cap.

Does the engine seem like it's running on 5 (or less) cylinders?

You'll want to do a compression test Matt. Does you have a comp test gauge?

Good luck mate.

ps,

What does Shacking mean?

Are you back home alreay Tom? That was quick!.. Then again, i've seen how you drive your car now! :-D Must admit it sounded awesome when you passed me on the M6.. Think i'll be tempted to get an Aristo in the future! :-) thanks for making the trip down to see us :-)

Yep touched about 160 leptons myself once or twice. Had to stop to refil but worth it. Roads were empty as can be:d

There could be a few things causing this. The first thing I would check is the crankcase ventilation system. ensure the pipework is free flowing and not obstructed by the resultant effluent of crankcase vapors. Check the other crankcase vent lines to ensure they are not obstructed either. If all the vent lines checkout okay, then you may be experiencing blowby due to excessively worn piston rings.

I'm guessing piston rings or a crack in the piston itself. For that much pressure to build up your breather system will have to be totally overcome. By all means try pulling off the WOT (exhaust side) and part throttle (intake side) hoses and check that they are clear. You will probably find they are full of oil, together with most of your intake system and intercooler. If not I'd be very surprised.

A blocked PCV will only caise a problem at part throttle because it will remove the vacuum source. However a PCV that fails stuck open might cause the problem you are seeing because it will let boost pressure leak from the plenum into the crankcase. Whip it out and blow through it in both directions. It should effectively work like a one-way valve.

You might want to simply check the seal on the oil filler cap. A leaky engine can sometimes run rough because you are making it easier for the engine to suck air into the intake. On some engines this can go unmetered. I dont think this will be the case for you, however, because the speed/density air measuring system should catch it, plus the PCV itself should limt the amount of air allowd intot he plenum through the breather system.

The fact that the car was also running rough makes me think its a bigger problem, though.

Worth joining the AA, they will trailor it there for you:)

I don't think the AA will trailor it 'anywhere' matey.

"Hi Mr AA Man, I live in Scotland with about 200 local garages nearby but would be grateful if you could take me to Chris Wilsons house in Shropshire" :p

It's typically a small radius from the breakdown point.

EDIT; I stand correct mate - apologies:

"Relay - If, following a breakdown at the roadside, we can't arrange a prompt repair, we'll transport you, your car and up to seven passengers home, or to any mainland UK destination of your choice".

Hi again guys, kinda started her back up at lunch. shed loads and i mean shed loads of smoke out of the exhaust. sounds really rough, irratic idleing and sounds probably altough i have never heard it before like its runningon 5 cylinders.

Im with the AA. Should i ring them and see what they can do or how much do you think it would cost to hire a trailer as my dad has a 4x4?!

Ta

A very upset matt!