oh cr&p :(

Matt H

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Relay - If, following a breakdown at the roadside, we can't arrange a prompt repair, we'll transport you, your car and up to seven passengers home, or to any mainland UK destination of your choice".

Thats ace,

Do you think i should get my car to a certain location and then call them?!

Hi again guys, kinda started her back up at lunch. shed loads and i mean shed loads of smoke out of the exhaust. sounds really rough, erratic idling and sounds probably although i have never heard it before like its running on 5 cylinders.

Yep....It's fooked. :(

Try yell.com for trailer hire in your area? The AA will probably sting you, but at least you're in safe hands of a pro transporter.

Maybe try local recovery firms?

Hi again guys, kinda started her back up at lunch. shed loads and i mean shed loads of smoke out of the exhaust. sounds really rough, irratic idleing and sounds probably altough i have never heard it before like its runningon 5 cylinders.

Im with the AA. Should i ring them and see what they can do or how much do you think it would cost to hire a trailer as my dad has a 4x4?!

Ta

A very upset matt!

Dam really sorry to hear that Matt, sounds like you have done a piston:(

could do with a few miracles mate!

Sorry matey run out of Miracles there on order tho :innocent:

As jamieP said sounds like you "done" a piston matey ...looks like Turbo fit are going to be doing a little more work than you expected :(

Trailer hire might be the cheapest option matey unless someone knows of a friendly garage with one :search:

Cheers

Ian

:( gutted Matt, was this after our little run?

hope it gets resolved soon mate, gis a shout if i can help at all

Cheers Wez,

No it was fine after our run, it was when i was hitting like 160+ it happened on the way home with Dr Doom :(

Sorry matey run out of Miracles there on order tho :innocent:

As jamieP said sounds like you "done" a piston matey ...looks like Turbo fit are going to be doing a little more work than you expected :(

Trailer hire might be the cheapest option matey unless someone knows of a friendly garage with one :search:

Cheers

Ian

Come to think of it i actually know someone who knows someone with a trailer, just need to nudge a few shoulders!!

i think so too.

Just emailed turbofit see if they can take my car in a little earlier than originally booked. Hopefully they will be able to sort me out.

I'm heading there too matey to get mine sorted before the Dragonball else I'm out! Only got about 4 weeks left and there could be more problems than first expected........as always!:(

Good luck buddy.

Anyone got any idea of the sort of cost im looking at if it is a piston?!

Either a 2nd hand engine swapped in or a strip, rebore, and rebuild. The first option is cheaper but potentially risky because of the engine's history. The second option will, if built correctly, give you a sweet engine, but costs more and takes longer and you have to really trust the engine builder.

Budget about £2500 for the first option including labour, Maybe £3500 for option 2. Not great I know but I'm not going to sugar coat it. If you get it done for less you can breathe a sigh of relief :)

-Ian

What a nightmare for you Matt :(

If it is a piston gone i just hope it aint damaged the block, dont start it again.

:yeahthat:

It's not going to be cheap, If you're planning on keeping the stock twins it might be more financially viable to get a new short block (or reconned 2nd hand one) and have TF fit that, rather than try and rebuild your one.

There may be another fault with the car that has caused this, so repairing the damage might not mean the initial problem is solved. (Thinking of Jakes fpr hose here, for example).

Either a 2nd hand engine swapped in or a strip, rebore, and rebuild. The first option is cheaper but potentially risky because of the engine's history. The second option will, if built correctly, give you a sweet engine, but costs more and takes longer and you have to really trust the engine builder.

Budget about £2500 for the first option including labour, Maybe £3500 for option 2. Not great I know but I'm not going to sugar coat it. If you get it done for less you can breathe a sigh of relief :)

-Ian

:faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: :faint: well if worse comes to the worse then i suppose it will have to be an engine build but that means digging into my savings :(

If its a rebuild.... which seems to be the general view you could always consider building a really strong engine with the view that your going to go single in the future.

Sorry to hear of this though, were you down for the dragon ball?

With regards to the AA, they came and collected the car from home(Swindon), and took it to Abbey motorsport for me. I was speaking to Mr AA, and he was saying its quite common for him to pick up cars and take them a couple of hundred miles to be fixed. They have trailered the car twice for me now without a problem, excellent company well worth the money each year. I hope you get it sorted soon:)

You have savings Matt? That's a good thing mate as I just have credit cards. Hold out for the TF verdict on your engine first buddy and certainly don't start her again!

Might be cheaper to buy another TT and strip that for parts and sell the others to fund the engine project if you can get one in reasonable nic! I was thinking this when Chris was telling me about the trade prices many TTs are at at the moment :(

Do you have any idea at all (doubtful given the speed and concentration on the road) what you were boosting to at that speed and we're you flat out all the way to 160?

Do you have a peak recall on a boost gauge and/or egt gauge? Any idea about afr's - do you have a wideband system fitted?

As Chris said - what's the general spec?

Looks like the intake cam front oil seal has failed or blown out. Usually caused by excess crankcase pressure. That in turn is usually caused by piston / ring damage due to detonation. Det is caused by excess boost or a bad map for the given boost. What's the engine spec?

Hybrid turbos and double decat with a 1.2 bar restrictor ring but at those really high speeds i often see 1.4 bar of boost or possibly more?

Do you have any idea at all (doubtful given the speed and concentration on the road) what you were boosting to at that speed and we're you flat out all the way to 160?

Do you have a peak recall on a boost gauge and/or egt gauge? Any idea about afr's - do you have a wideband system fitted?

As Chris said - what's the general spec?

i did have a boost gauge but Chris took that off when my car went in for work with him, thats when i had my double de-cat and restrictor ring fitted at the same time

You have savings Matt? That's a good thing mate as I just have credit cards. Hold out for the TF verdict on your engine first buddy and certainly don't start her again!

Might be cheaper to buy another TT and strip that for parts and sell the others to fund the engine project if you can get one in reasonable nic! I was thinking this when Chris was telling me about the trade prices many TTs are at at the moment :(

yeah i have savings but there not for my car, deposit on my next house but prob have to dip in now

Hybrid turbos and double decat with a 1.2 bar restrictor ring but at those really high speeds i often see 1.4 bar of boost or possibly more?

Hybrids at 1.4bar+ on standard fuelling. Could it have run too lean then as Chris suggests causing det?