The mkiv Supra Owners Club

HKS 256I/264E Camshaft - Optimum Timing

dandan

Ok fellas,

There's quite a few people on here who have or have had this cam combo. I am trying to find what would be the best starting point for the cam timing for a bpu type car.

I know people are gong to post up and say they just fit them and go with stock settings. I cannot believe that is the optimum for best performance. I know someone is going to post up and say "adjusting them just moves the powerband......." but has anybody actually adjusted the timing on a dyno or rolling road and recorded any differences in the torque curve?

Cheers

Dan

Terry Saunders did ages ago, not sure with what cam combo though but indeed the results panned to losing more power than you gained in torque or vica versa. How comprehensive that testing was I don't know but that's yer lot as far as I know :)

-Ian

Hope you don't mind me jumping onto your thread dandan but I'm thinking of getting the same setup, and was wondering if people change the cam gears also?

Going on from what Ian just said, the stock timings are the best compromise...so you don't need adjustable cam gears to fit them or get the most out of them...stock for the win! :D

I'm not 100% convinced that stock cam timing can be the optimum for bpu/small singles and big singles alike and also it seems to be the general M.O. regardless of what the cam combo is.

If that is the case we must be very fortunate as it's something else not to spend money on.

I am used to building engines and degreeing the cam with a wheel and dial gauge to the manufacturers recommended settings and then going from there on the rolling road to see what can be found.

Maybe I am being too fussy in this case as no-one in the UK (or at least on here) seems to use their adj cam gears - they buy them, fit them and leave them to look pretty. Some of the yanks claim between 3-14 useable hp gains. Regardless, 14hp for £250 or so is still not great bang for buck anyway I suppose! :)