The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Any input on Power Steering would be Helpfull

dini_the_owl

I managed to get the engine started this weekend after months of rebuild, anyhow yesterday after about ten minutes of running ok the Power steering pump started making like a rumbling sound so i knocked off the engine and the Fluid was frothing quite badly, toped it up to the correct level again and tried locking the steering over a few of times to relieve any air that may have got in the system and i find i cannot get rid of the air bubbles,if i start the engine and everytime pump rumbles like mad,fluid frothes and gushes out of the res?????? tried bleeding them several times but the same happens and pump never stops rumbling with engine on, i am using dextron 2 fluid as it is recommended for the system, i have changed the o ring on the pump input which i feel confident arn't leaking and made sure piping is ok which it is.

any help would be appreciative starting to think pump is gone???[sAD][/sAD]

FYI the steering feels ok and is not notchy or anything like that?

My car was stood for around 5 months and I now have the same problem. If you can't get rid of the groaning noise after bleeding the system (full lock a few times from side to side with cap off), then sounds like your pump is shot. I've just ordered a new pump for mine.

Often the frothing is just an air lock.

Run it with the lid off the reservoir for a while(just sit it on the top if frothing). If that dont work try turning the wheel a quite a bit.

There is a way of piercing the filters inside with a pin to cure it. Jody T is a good person to ask by experience.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply guys,One thing is i have used my n/a pump for the conversion which was working ok prior to this and just bought the union and o ring for a tt, res was purchased s/h but was cleaned out well before re using and ive blown through it and seems ok, there seems somehow to be pressure coming from somewhere because when the car is started with the cap off the fluid is gushing out of the top of the res and i mean gushing????

another thing is, even with the res topped up the pump still is rumbling which i thought would go, i started earlier for about 15 seconds with the cap on and when i took it off the fluid looked like a bottle of coke which had been shaken for 5 mins...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
Thanks for the reply guys,One thing is i have used my n/a pump for the conversion which was working ok prior to this and just bought the union and o ring for a tt, res was purchased s/h but was cleaned out well before re using and ive blown through it and seems ok, there seems somehow to be pressure coming from somewhere because when the car is started with the cap off the fluid is gushing out of the top of the res and i mean gushing????

another thing is, even with the res topped up the pump still is rumbling which i thought would go, i started earlier for about 15 seconds with the cap on and when i took it off the fluid looked like a bottle of coke which had been shaken for 5 mins...

Having the same problems as this with mine, did you find a solutioin in the end? i have put new oil in and tryed bleeding it for ages but like above its seems to be dragging air in from somewhere