The mkiv Supra Owners Club

CH4 - Passion of the Christ

imi

If god hadn't been such a lazy arse when he created the world and bunked off on the Sunday, he might have noticed that he had inadvertently invented the French!

Must have pissed Jesus off as well having your ruddy birthday on Christmas Day - only one lot of pressies!!

• Replies 495
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree too - some religions have demonstrated truly awesome mass mind-control results.

However, I would also tend to agree with Penguin in that I think the decline in social conscience here in the UK is almost definitely linked to the decline in religious belief.

I'm not saying I think we should all be religious, I'm just saying that I don't think we've come up with as good a social control mechanism yet. A lot of what is acceptable in UK society these days is now defined by individual human rights, the results of which can be seen in the obtuse levels of selfish, thoughtless and abusive behaviour which can be witnessed nationwide.

Relying on peoples personal morals to uphold a society seems to be failing in comparison to more tradtional religious-oriented social organisations.

Maybe it's time we came up with something new?

You don't need to be a Christian or have religious beliefs to understand right from wrong! I'm a complete heretic but have also decided to be nice to people until they treat me like a twat, not to steal, kill or maim anybody or steal cows and sweets from shops. It's not difficult! And I don't need some fairytale book to tell me what to do and what not to do. Take responsibility for your own actions, have your own mind and enjoy the short amount of time you have on this blue/green blob!

If those who do believe we come back as cats, dogs or whatever are right, then good oh! Otherwise I'm putting £10 on this being my one and only chance to have a bloody good laugh, make some good friends, eat some good food and drive fast and I'm going to spend my life worrying about that, not whether there's some beardy bloke on a cloud having a laugh watching us blow each other up!

And here's a thought . . . . a couple of thousand years ago the Greeks and Romans (and other religions too) had gods to explain the things they could not, such as thunder, lightning, earthquakes, fire, water etc etc etc. Now we have explained 99% of things away with science and knowledge we are left with why we are here and where do we go - hence why people still cling to the idea of a god. God is a big security blanket for the insecure and those who want an excuse to blow their neighbours up. Man was created in god's image?? I think you'll find it was the other way round! The reason we are here is a huge cosmic fluke and where do we go . . . . back to what we began as . . .space dust. Its that simple!

You don't need to be a Christian or have religious beliefs to understand right from wrong! I'm a complete heretic but have also decided to be nice to people until they treat me like a twat, not to steal, kill or maim anybody or steal cows and sweets from shops. It's not difficult! And I don't need some fairytale book to tell me what to do and what not to do. Take responsibility for your own actions, have your own mind and enjoy the short amount of time you have on this blue/green blob!

I agree with you entirely, and believe that I live by the smae morals, however in my opinion, the problem is that there are sufficient people in society who AREN'T taking responsibility for their actions to mess up society for everybody. This is the major downside of chav culture! And that number is only getting bigger.

Religion, and the threat of hell was a good way of keeping those people in line.

These days, justice should be able to do the same thing, but thanks to the limited powers of our police, judges and courts and the increasing powers of lawyers and so-called "human rights", it is failing us pretty badly.

If those who do believe we come back as cats, dogs or whatever are right, then good oh! Otherwise I'm putting £10 on this being my one and only chance to have a bloody good laugh, make some good friends, eat some good food and drive fast and I'm going to spend my life worrying about that, not whether there's some beardy bloke on a cloud having a laugh watching us blow each other up!

And here's a thought . . . . a couple of thousand years ago the Greeks and Romans (and other religions too) had gods to explain the things they could not, such as thunder, lightning, earthquakes, fire, water etc etc etc. Now we have explained 99% of things away with science and knowledge we are left with why we are here and where do we go - hence why people still cling to the idea of a god. God is a big security blanket for the insecure and those who want an excuse to blow their neighbours up. Man was created in god's image?? I think you'll find it was the other way round! The reason we are here is a huge cosmic fluke and where do we go . . . . back to what we began as . . .space dust. Its that simple!

..... and back to square one .... again :)

I'm just confused by the link in your sig :)

its just me 'testing the water' (possibly a bit petty....)

Thor are serving a 6 month trader ban, the thread linked to discusses the freedom of members to recommend non authorised traders despite the rises in fees. I had a Thor Dyno once many moons ago at Pod and this is my only involvement ever with them, but know for a fact that many of us have their convertors in our cars and they are the (only?) convertor to have, hence my sig..........like i say possibly petty......

If there was ever a need for an :amen: then thats it.

There is one part of the bible I like and agree with....

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"

Its an easy enough thing to do. Just think about about your actions and how you would feel if that action was taking on you.

Yup, the bibles full of helpful hints, just in case people have a problem leading a decent moral life without divine instruction. There are some suprising omissions though.

"thou shalt not stick thy finger in a plug socket"

"thou shalt not lie down in the fast lane of a motorway"

"thou shalt not chew razor blades"

I'm suprised mankind has survived for so long.

Yup, the bibles full of helpful hints, just in case people have a problem leading a decent moral life without divine instruction. There are some suprising omissions though.

Lol :)

Can't really say I agree with moral standards declining in this country.

I don't long for the days where pregnant women were practically cast out of society if they weren't married, or children were allowed to drink themselves to death perfectly legally.

And if the pictures of modern chavs breaking into cars scares you, have a look at some of the weapons muggers used to use a few hundred years ago.... for example the short metal pole with two pointed prongs on the end, for poking the eyes out of your victim and any witnesses, so you couldn't be identified. :eek:

You forgot

Thou shall not bugger next door's oxon