The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Full decat / or 2nd decat ?

John B

Supramanuk -

You want to start a new thread on the same subject to make further searches even more confusing?

That's not the way forums are supposed to work - it is advised that you continue an older thread so that all the information on a specific subject is in the same place.

AND

It is commonly known that raising boost pressure will generate more heat, it has nothing directly to do with restrictions in the cats. The heat comes from the increased rpm that the turbo is running to create more boost pressure.

I was wanting to know specifically what parts of the engine would be getting hotter if any, and if the increased heat could damage anything

Btw, the very act of removing the second cat WILL up the boost all by itself

Check the fundamentals of turbocharging

SO, to the original question - Will taking out only the second CAT damage the engine?

It is commonly known that raising boost pressure will generate more heat, it has nothing directly to do with restrictions in the cats. The heat comes from the increased rpm that the turbo is running to create more boost pressure.

I was wanting to know specifically what parts of the engine would be getting hotter if any, and if the increased heat could damage anything

SO, to the original question - Will taking out only the second CAT damage the engine?

I have my second Cat out and have stock boost without the Boost Controller working. So no it won't damage to answer your question.

Concerning upping the boost pressure: If you have a restrictive Exhaust System just upping boost WILL raise temps. But! If you raise boost AND get get the restriction out temps will stay the same or even be lower. The EGTs rising with higher boost are a product of more air going into the cylinders thus more Fuel being injected and a bigger "explosion" is achieved following this is more exhaust gas which means higher temps. So removing the restrictive Cats means letting the hot gas pass faster and lowering the temperature. The spinning turbo isn't that much of a variable in this calculation i'd assume.

Edited by CanisLupus (see edit history)

He didn't say it but why would you want to remove a cat it if not upping the boost? :blink:

And he wanted to remove the cat not the decat. ;)

Most people do it to make their car louder as if you are upping the boost then you would take both out as leaving one in is a stupid IMO.

Supramanuk -

You want to start a new thread on the same subject to make further searches even more confusing?

That's not the way forums are supposed to work - it is advised that you continue an older thread so that all the information on a specific subject is in the same place.

AND

Thankyou you grasshopper I am quite aware of how forums work but it gets to a point where continuing a thread is not advised as all the old threads get archived to free up space (you can google this if you don't understand). Plus if you had looked properly all the information you require has been posted tenfold.

As to how turbo charging works I am well aware of how it works if you had mentioned upping the boost in your post then I could have given you the answer you were looking for. Upping the boost without taking the first cat out is a stupid idea take both out or don't bother simple as....