The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Intercooler not man enough maybe?

JamieP

Just a thought.

When on the rd my car holds boost 1.5bar perfect all the way to the rev limit, but when on the dyno in high rpm,s my boost starts dropping off right back to 1.2bar,car made 576bhp yesterday but if my boost would hold up on the dyno id be well over 600 im sure.

Going back today to check for possible boost leaks but im sure it dont have any:search:

I was thinking this morning could my ic not be man enough and would that effect boost im only running 2 row?

It dont really bother me as the car runs perfect on the street its just that high power figure would be nice:D

Any other suggestions welcome.

Regards Jamie.

I was going to say it's one of 2 things. Either your IC is too restrictive, or your turbo isn't man enough. But thinking about it, the 2 are inextricably linked.

Your IC will have a pressure drop accross it. Reducing the pressure drop by getting a less restrictive IC, means you'll get more pressure at the manifold.

However, whatever IC you have, it will still have a pressure drop, and the pressure being generated by the turbo at the turbo, is always going to be bigger than that at the manifold. Sooo what I'm saying is that it's kinda 6 of one, half a dozen of the other.

You COULD say that your IC is too restrictive, OR you COULD say your turbo isn't generating enough flow to cope with the losses in your system. They both amount to the same thing.

That said, you seem to be fairly happy with the turbo and the way it spools etc. So I would probably be inclined to change the IC for a less restrictive one than comprimise on turbo size (and inherent spool characteristic)

The thing to be careful with is, just increasing the size of your IC may not necessarily make it more efficient. You could have the most efficient 2 row in the world. Swapping it to a poorly designed 3 row may not make it less restrictive or efficient as an IC overall. Plus there's the other downstream consequences to consider (I have cooling in mind).

Lastly, or rather first of all, I would get a log of actual on road data. You may not really see the boost tail off, in which case in the real world their isn't really a problem. However, if it's that elusive 600BHP number that your aiming for, then you need either a turbo change or a reduction in losses through the inlet system.

Hope that helps! :)

but he said it runs fine on the road holds 1.5 bar up to the limiter,

I would say it's not getting enuff cold air from the fan when its on the rollers as we all no hotter air will drop boost as it's not dence enuff , hence why your car will go like a rocket on and cold or damp day and then be as slugges as old boot's on a hot one ,

What you need do jamie is take the nos out the boot and spray the cooler with it till it freeze's then do your power run , should be fine then .

IMO, the fan at SRR is quite a bit better than the one at the RR Dan uses. It seems to push a helluva lot more air... Enough that the bonnets need to be held or strapped due to the force involved.

NOW they sound like centrafugal fans alright. One of those with 2 large cfm fans to actually move teh cold air in is what you need.